Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bioshox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Manchester, UK.
Hey all

Just wondering, when using Handbrake my CPU load goes up to around 80-90% I have a 2011 iMac...

Is it bad for a Mac to have a high CPU load? Will it damage it or reduce it's lifespan?

I have some heavy CPU load-activities I want to carry out, but don't want to run the risk of damaging the hardware.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just wondering, when using Handbrake my CPU load goes up to around 80-90% I have a 2011 iMac...

Is it bad for a Mac to have a high CPU load? Will it damage it or reduce it's lifespan?

I have some heavy CPU load-activities I want to carry out, but don't want to run the risk of damaging the hardware.
No, it won't harm it, as that's what they're designed to do. It's unlikely you'll be running with that level of demand most of the time, anyway.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Periods of heavy use are more likely to help diagnose a problem than create one, so if you start experiencing crashes or anything like that, take it in while it's still under warranty.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey all

It's a dual core processor (or possibly a quad core processor). It is designed to run both cores (or all four cores) at full tilt for unlimited amount of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.