Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Crunchgear claims that there will be a "substantial" update to iTunes this month to provide High Definition content. Accordingly, Apple has reportedly placed a large order for Apple TV's in anticipation.

CrunchGear has not been an accurate source of Apple rumors. Surrounding the previous iPod Nano rumors, they claimed that the Nano would come in 8GB and 16GB versions and not be called "Nano" any longer.

The site had also claimed that Multi-touch MacBooks would be arriving this month.

Article Link

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I sure hope this *is* true. It overdue in my opinion. Keep pricing competitive, provide all the "good" shows, and I may well ditch OTA/Sat/Cable and go this route. HD is the one thing holding me back.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Well, that would explain the new chips in the wires and docks.

With the troubles with the content providers, I am not optimistic. Time will tell.

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
This is long overdue. I have been streaming music, pics and movies to my Xbox 360 from my Mac Pro with no problem though. Unless Apple TV provides full internet access, its not really anything special yet.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
I hope they release them at the same time as:

1. UK Movies / UK produced material
2. TV for the rest of Europe / Canada
3. Multi touch mac books
4. Making Safari feel a bit 'snappier'

Fin.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
True that

640X480 looks HD on an iPod :p

If HD comes to iTunes it will cost more.

You might not want to import higher res movies on your iPod though - they take up enormous Hard Drive space, unless, of course, you have the 80G model.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I hope that when Apple decides to put HD content on iTunes they still sell at the current resolution also since I could not download HD content in a reasonable ammount of time over my internet connection.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever Apple adds value to an existing product's software, such as adding YouTube viewing to the Apple TV, it give me more confidence about buying their products in general, without waiting for the "next big feature" first. The iPhone and iPod touch are similarly poised to gain value through the addition of new features through software updates.

I hope that's what we're talking about here.

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
I went to an Apple training event for Final Cut Pro in Montreal last week. The Apple Seminar leader told us that Apple tv version 2 is coming.
He said that it will feature hi res video. He went on to hint that it would utilize the Apple Pro Res chip(a la Final Cut Pro). He also said that it would have a very large hard drive along the lines of a terra-byte.
He mentioned 2 price points 500 and 1000.
The gist of what he said was that Apple wants to change the traditional Media model. They could deliver the content that you subscribe to via the Apple Tv and become a defacto broadcast company without the traditional limitations that the old school broadcasters face.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
I went to an Apple training event for Final Cut Pro in Montreal last week. The Apple Seminar leader told us that Apple tv version 2 is coming.
He said that it will feature hi res video. He went on to hint that it would utilize the Apple Pro Res chip(a la Final Cut Pro). He also said that it would have a very large hard drive along the lines of a terra-byte.
He mentioned 2 price points 500 and 1000.
The gist of what he said was that Apple wants to change the traditional Media model. They could deliver the content that you subscribe to via the Apple Tv and become a defacto broadcast company without the traditional limitations that the old school broadcasters face.

I hope what your saying is true, but I see it as unlikely. I don't see them making such a drastic change to the AppleTV so soon. It hasn't even been out for a year yet.... But I would love to see HD content in iTunes... Maybe some movie content in canada too?

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
I hope what your saying is true, but I see it as unlikely. I don't see them making such a drastic change to the AppleTV so soon. It hasn't even been out for a year yet.... But I would love to see HD content in iTunes... Maybe some movie content in canada too?

I have no personal knowlege.
Just relating what I heard.
The Apple tv was mentioned in conjunction with the AJA IO - the technology/research that went into the IO chip could be used to make Apple Pro Res 422 power the new Apple TV.

No time line for such a move was specified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.