Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
CrunchGear has not been an accurate source of Apple rumors. Surrounding the previous iPod Nano rumors, they claimed that the Nano would come in 8GB and 16GB versions and not be called "Nano" any longer.

Sounds like what they actually caught wind of was the touch, and they just assumed it was the nano. Perhaps they should be given a little more cred for actually getting it right, but for the wrong product :p

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
It already does 5 channel Dolby Pro Logic II.

I wish this would stop being brought up like Apple's solution for surround sound is sufficient. Pumping 4 channels through two cables is not sufficient. True surround (5.1 - which has been around FOREVER) has six channels and can't be done on the AppleTV yet.

I have an AppleTV and love it's convenience, but the lack of surround sound really makes me angry. Especially when you consider that Apple's own HD movie trailers support 6 discreet channels.

It's just crazy to me. :confused:

P-Worm

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
They could deliver the content that you subscribe to via the Apple Tv and become a defacto broadcast company without the traditional limitations that the old school broadcasters face.

This is insanely ambitious, especially considering the recent rift with NBC Universal. However, the current broadcast model (even with time-shift DVR and on-demand) simply doesn't apply any longer. You can see the trend in advertising. Advertisers are pulling out of the huge cash dumps traditionally spent on television spots becasue people's consumption and media habits have changed.

This, honestly, would show a tremendous amount of foresight on the part of Apple (and could be the reason for the rift with NBC Universal)

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I went to an Apple training event for Final Cut Pro in Montreal last week. The Apple Seminar leader told us that Apple tv version 2 is coming.
He said that it will feature hi res video. He went on to hint that it would utilize the Apple Pro Res chip(a la Final Cut Pro). He also said that it would have a very large hard drive along the lines of a terra-byte.
He mentioned 2 price points 500 and 1000.
The gist of what he said was that Apple wants to change the traditional Media model. They could deliver the content that you subscribe to via the Apple Tv and become a defacto broadcast company without the traditional limitations that the old school broadcasters face.

Sounds too far-fetched (I know you are not saying it is true), however, the refurbished 40GB Apple TV just dropped another $20 to $229. Perhaps Apple is trying to clear out the inventory? Maybe they'll go 160GB and 250GB instead of 40GB and 160GB?

Apple Store Link

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
He also said that it would have a very large hard drive along the lines of a terra-byte.
He mentioned 2 price points 500 and 1000.

I have no personal knowlege.
Just relating what I heard.
The Apple tv was mentioned in conjunction with the AJA IO - the technology/research that went into the IO chip could be used to make Apple Pro Res 422 power the new Apple TV.
Pro Res would be a very inefficient final delivery codec though. It's about 10 times bigger than the HD H.264 trailers on Apple's site. I guess you'd want a 1TB device if a 90 min 1080p24 movie is gonna take up nearly 80 gigs. :D

This is insanely ambitious, especially considering the recent rift with NBC Universal. However, the current broadcast model (even with time-shift DVR and on-demand) simply doesn't apply any longer. You can see the trend in advertising. Advertisers are pulling out of the huge cash dumps traditionally spent on television spots becasue people's consumption and media habits have changed.

This, honestly, would show a tremendous amount of foresight on the part of Apple (and could be the reason for the rift with NBC Universal)
Apple would still just be a middle man and would need companies like NBC/Universal to supply content though. Apple needs to do something though if they want to keep MS from getting a leg up. The 360 is turning into the "home media hub" type device that MS has been working towards for years (video games, downloadable movies, IPTV, DVR, etc.).

Lethal

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
The gist of what he said was that Apple wants to change the traditional Media model. They could deliver the content that you subscribe to via the Apple Tv and become a defacto broadcast company without the traditional limitations that the old school broadcasters face.

It's hard to change the "traditional Media model" without media. I was an original purchaser of an ATV. It's great if you keep your expectations realistic, but the lack of content is a big achilles heel. 9 times out of 10, what my wife wants to watch is on pay per view, but not on iTunes. Actually, make that 99 out of 100.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Pro Res would be a very inefficient final delivery codec though. It's about 10 times bigger than the HD H.264 trailers on Apple's site. I guess you'd want a 1TB device if a 90 min 1080p24 movie is gonna take up nearly 80 gigs. :D

Apple would still just be a middle man and would need companies like NBC/Universal to supply content though. Apple needs to do something though if they want to keep MS from getting a leg up. The 360 is turning into the "home media hub" type device that MS has been working towards for years (video games, downloadable movies, IPTV, DVR, etc.).

Lethal

ProRes is NOT coming to Apple TV. It makes no sense at all given the specs of the current Apple TV and the capacity it would take. Apple delivers Video in H.264...they are not going to render all their Apple TV customers obsolete already. The devices are over powerful for what they currently can do.

I expect an announcement of HD (hopefully with true surround sound) to coincide the video rental plans of the iTunes store. I think that this is coming very soon, given the iTunes mobile store on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

OttawaGuy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2006
I am not saying that I know the plan for Apple tv.
I am just relaying what I heard.
It seemed to me that the Apple seminar leader was implying that they would leverage the research that went into the Apple Pro Res codec.

Let me ask this- would Apple create a new proprietary codec based on Pro Res?

I also wonder what constitutes HD. 720p is HD right? (1280x720)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I wish this would stop being brought up like Apple's solution for surround sound is sufficient. Pumping 4 channels through two cables is not sufficient. True surround (5.1 - which has been around FOREVER) has six channels and can't be done on the AppleTV yet.

I have an AppleTV and love it's convenience, but the lack of surround sound really makes me angry. Especially when you consider that Apple's own HD movie trailers support 6 discreet channels.

It's just crazy to me. :confused:

P-Worm

Exactly. Mostly the same people that REALLY want HD also have a 5.1 receiver and the speakers. Offering HD without discrete 5.1 is just not enough.

At 720p with discrete 5.1 I would buy pretty much exclusively at the iTS, given available content.

zeppiecr

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
As an early adopter, I would love it if they would enable that usb port on the back and let me add a hard drive to it. Or maybe they can create their own external drive...i just don't want to have to replace my product.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Well I'll look forward to it. Would love to see Hi Def versions of Prison Break and 24 showing up, might even make me not upgrade to Direct TV Hd like I was planning,. But I wonder how 720p content will Stream over my G Network. I have no problems with the movies and TV Shows now but none of that Exceeds DVD Quality. I might have to start thinking about Wireless N. Also I have 2 Apple TV's one is going to an older Projection TV that has only a 1080i input, so I wonder if the Apple TV will upconvert 720p to 1080i I imagine it would. I love this little Box

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Sounds too far-fetched (I know you are not saying it is true), however, the refurbished 40GB Apple TV just dropped another $20 to $229. Perhaps Apple is trying to clear out the inventory? Maybe they'll go 160GB and 250GB instead of 40GB and 160GB?

Apple Store Link

I've owned 2 Apple TV's since the Begining and have never synced any content, as long as 720p content will stream I'm fine with that.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
As an early adopter, I would love it if they would enable that usb port on the back and let me add a hard drive to it. Or maybe they can create their own external drive...i just don't want to have to replace my product.

I don't get this need. Why have an Udly external Drive sitting in my Living room, I've been adding External Drive on my Mini and I stream everything, I have 2 Mybooks and another FW External in my office, out of sight, and this works fine

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Well I'll look forward to it. Would love to see Hi Def versions of Prison Break and 24 showing up, might even make me not upgrade to Direct TV Hd like I was planning,. But I wonder how 720p content will Stream over my G Network. I have no problems with the movies and TV Shows now but none of that Exceeds DVD Quality. I might have to start thinking about Wireless N. Also I have 2 Apple TV's one is going to an older Projection TV that has only a 1080i input, so I wonder if the Apple TV will upconvert 720p to 1080i I imagine it would. I love this little Box

HD content streams fine across G. Just download a 720P movie trailer and import it into iTunes and test it for yourself.

luckk

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
Orange County, California
HD podcasts have been available for a while now

I have a compiled a list of HD podcasts on my site. It is at http://hd.appletvsource.com . I started this list way back in the beginning of May. Since then it has grown to over 100. I update the list almost weekly.

I highly recommend BeautifulPlaces.tv and Missing Pages (Amended Version).

Cave Man

macrumors 604

I agree, but this is not what the poster asked. He wanted multichannel audio, which the ATV is already capable of doing. It's not as good as 5.1 and we are all hopeful that 5.1 will be available with the next update, perhaps this month. Heck, why not even 7.1 and 1080 video output?

Deestar

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2003
Itunes email with HD reference

Not sure if it significant or just a simple mistake... but I got an email from the iTunes store today promoting BBC podcasts. When looking at the email through webmail the images are switch off by default and I noticed that the image tag for the main image has a reference to "HD" instead of "BBC". Maybe a mistake or sloppy use of a previous template for "other" promotional emails.

See top line

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I assumed it would be another year or two before we got HD on iTunes.

By the way, does the optical output not provide full 6 channel surround sound? Presumably that's something that's controlled by software, not a hardware limitation?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Think AppleTV HD Files Are Easily Ripped From Original Recordings With Handbrake

You might not want to import higher res movies on your iPod though - they take up enormous Hard Drive space, unless, of course, you have the 80G model.
I'm an easy touch for H.264 624x352 1Kbps "HD" Handbrake encodes from EyeTV originals transcoded to DVD images with Toast 8 first. Sure they look a little softer than the originals on the big screen. But they only weigh in at 350MB per 42 minute "hour" and on the iPod or Phone or Touch they look spectacular.

Brendan.Porter

macrumors member
HD to Mac Mini (Nano?)

It would be cool to see the :apple:TV get the HD treatment it deserves (and is capable of... HDMI for SD?). I don't own an :apple:TV, but I do have a Mac Mini hooked up to my Pioneer 42" Plasma, and the HD content I have obtained is absolutely amazing. I even get to use 5.1 because of the active optical port on the back going to my sound system.

If(when) Apple unleashed HD content, I would be all over it.
Might even be a death knell for cable, except I love my TiVo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.