Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweenyjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I am looking for advice/opinions. I am going to be purchasing a computer for my new business in the late part of 2011(sep,oct?) I like the high end iMac but am also considering the high end mac pro. Either way I will spring for the best processor and install the extra ram myself. I will be using this computer for the early stages of my film company. I am currently a pro photographer and use Aperture for all my needs. I am going to grad school for film and intend to work in mostly documentary arenas. I do not presently do a lot of special effects, just a lot of hd footage. I like the idea of having the fastest machine possible and am aware of the big price difference(4k vs 8+k) in the machines. My biggest concern is the rate at which computers update. I dont know that I will be making a good purchase with the mac pro if in two or three years it will be outdated?
For film editing specifically, can people give me real life examples why they believe one or the other is the best purchase. I will be making indie films, not Avatar. I need professional capabilities but dont know what will suit me best?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The question is, do you need the extra cores and the ability to expand internal storage?

sweenyjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
... that is a good question. I use the Adobe cs5 suite and final cut studio. I am not up to date on the whole area of 64bit and multi core threading. I just tend to do my editing. I am more of a creative end kinda person and dont pay attention to tech stuff like that. Which is not to say I couldnt put together my own PC from scratch, I just dont spend a lot of time keeping myself up to date with what programs utilize such abilities.... so I am not sure.
I do need the ability to run a lot of stuff at once. This computer will be used in my studio as the work station so it needs to be able to run iTunes and surf safari while processing stuff on Aperture or Final cut at the same time.
I will need the ability to expand as time goes on but that is why I am hesitant. No one can predict the rate at which new tech comes out but if I am getting the Pro it would be nice if $8-10k computer would still be relevant in five years.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you have to ask yourself if you really need a MacPro , then you might not need one for consumer purpose , but you want to work seriously ,
if you fancy of having pci slots to expand and make the MacPro really future proof , then there is a lot that speaks for a MacPro , the MacPro offers more then just added hdd space , less worry about upgrades next year , as you can add any ports you want or need ,
add a cinema displayor even 2 , hang on another good thing about the MacPro you can add multiple graphic cards , and power 4 or 6 cinema displays if you wish even more , you need more usb ports /esata ports, firewire ports and in the future thunderbold ports no problem , just fit a pci card
so if you dont want to drill holes to add ports , or clutter your desk up with usb and firewire hubs , you got no choice but a MacPro
instead of having to sell the iMac and buying a new one with new or other ports if they get added like thunderbold , or having to drill holes for esata ports which voids any warranty you might had, or sacrificing the optical drive for adding another HDD

and cost , hmm there are still companies out there using PowerMac G5's for their work , because of the expandability and making it future proof , and very easy access of parts , so the initial more for a desktop in terms of money has payed out multiple times , or how many companies still use iMac G5's ...? , a iMac you have to sell every 2 years if you want to keep a up to date computer , while the MacPro sure will offer good performance even in 6 years from now , and no port worries as you can just add anything you might need and terabytes of Hdd space inside and honestly the 8/12 westmere core MacPro will take 64GB ! ram should be plenty to do some multi tasking and will run circles around a i7 iMac without any problem

so your final cut work will be done easier and faster , and still enough cores and ram left to do anything else you might want to do , fancy avid too alongside final cut ? no problem you get plenty of cores and plenty of ram to do multi tasking if you got a second or third or 4 displays , no need for all to be cinema displays , for some things even a normal tft will do (surfing /emails for example )

so go online now and order at least the 8 westmare core MacPro , you will not regret it, you invest in your future

Last edited:

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
The question is, do you need the extra cores and the ability to expand internal storage?

No, the question is do you want to be stuck with the constrants that Apple places on the iMac? Must get largest screen to get fastest processor. Must take glossy screen.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Go MacPro.

I have an iMac and love it, but not for business. Aside from speed and customization options, the mere fact that it's difficult (not impossible though) to swap hard drives makes it a no-go if it's your business. And it's the drive that's gonna fail, not the Mac. With a MP you just switch drives and you're up and running with no fuss or muss.

Or you could go with more than one computer. But think of your backup plan; it looks like your business depends on it.

Rob

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
I believe an iMac would do you perfect, but for some reason I keep seeing you with a Mac Pro.

I say go for a Mac Pro. It's powerful, it's made for what you do, and you can upgrade that thing like crazy.

I would get a hexacore Mac Pro if I was to get one. It's proven to be a lot faster than the 12 core in many applications, and the 4 core is great, but the hexacore one is amazing.

The reason being that the 6 core Mac Pro is usually a lot faster than the other Mac Pro's is because it has a great clock speed (3.33 GHz) versus the 2.93 GHz of the 12 core. The 12 core is great, but what applications actually take advantage of all 12 cores?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The great thing about the Mac Pro is its expandable to a great extent (you can have have 64GB of RAM in it if you want) and more than several TBs of HD space.

I'd go for the Mac Pro, because in 5 years time it will still be a high end computer as long as you keep upgrading it :)

tislight

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Go MacPro.

I have an iMac and love it, but not for business. Aside from speed and customization options, the mere fact that it's difficult (not impossible though) to swap hard drives makes it a no-go if it's your business. And it's the drive that's gonna fail, not the Mac. With a MP you just switch drives and you're up and running with no fuss or muss.

Or you could go with more than one computer. But think of your backup plan; it looks like your business depends on it.

Rob

You can add on as many EXTERNAL hard drives as you want to an iMac. No need to spend more than double the price just for a simple hard drive swap.

tislight

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
The great thing about the Mac Pro is its expandable to a great extent (you can have have 64GB of RAM in it if you want) and more than several TBs of HD space.

I'd go for the Mac Pro, because in 5 years time it will still be a high end computer as long as you keep upgrading it :)

But will it keep you happy?

Do you realize that the current iMac 2.93 i7 has a benchmark higher than the MacPro of 2 years ago that had 8 cores? That was a $5,000 machine.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
But will it keep you happy?

Do you realize that the current iMac 2.93 i7 has a benchmark higher than the MacPro of 2 years ago that had 8 cores? That was a $5,000 machine.

but the new ones and we are talking about the new 8/12 core ones with westmere core are noticeable faster then the old nehalems

and yes you can clutter up the desk with external hdd's , but that would make buying a all in one pointless , as the only reason for a all in one is a clean desk

but i agree apple could for people who dont want or need a all in one offer a MacPro base model with i3 /i5 and i7 processor in the same or just below price range as the equivalent iMac's , as apple has nothing to offer between the mini which is to slow for any prof , and the MacPro strech the budget of consumers over the limit , and not everyone wants all in one computer 27" screen or not

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Go MacPro.

Rob

Where did you get you're findings?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
You can add on as many EXTERNAL hard drives as you want to an iMac. No need to spend more than double the price just for a simple hard drive swap.

your hdd crashes in an Imac. I can't get my client's work done what to do yeah add on a fw800 hdd as an osx hdd with speeds of less then 50 percent of your intertior hdd.

even if the op adds an ssd and an internal hdd as an apple online option.. if his osx is on the interior ssd and the ssd crashes he could switch to the interior hdd still half speed.

b t w the ssd intertior hdd option is more then 700 bucks. these speed losses don't work with a client. try telling the client the job is delayed by a day or two.

Now a mac pro lets see 4 inside hdds , well 5 inside hdds all can be an ssd or a hdd. you can have a few spare trays in a box to swap in. lets see you did a wedding for a bigshot it is a 25000 dollar gig. make two copies of the wedding as backup they run at speeds up to 250MB/s if they are on a ssd. lets see iMac an addon fw800 speed maxes at 80MB/s .

The iMac's slow motion interface to external drives is brutal. The only quick hookup would be a very high end nas system costing in the 1000s.

If he wants business mac pro. There is one but t-bolt if t-bolt comes to the 2011 iMac and it offers a booting external like lacies raid0 ssd option then an iMac can work. the problem is how long will that option take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.