Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Price will be deciding factor unless you take a lot of pics don't see it being worth it if it does the same as the 7 plus

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Price will be deciding factor unless you take a lot of pics don't see it being worth it if it does the same as the 7 plus

You can bet the "iPhone 7 Pro" (if indeed it is real and we see it in September) will have a premium price, i think we will be talking around $900 - $1000.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
You can simply pay for it... a little each month... just like you always have.

You used to be able to sell your phones pretty much after a certain period of time if you signed a new contract or upgraded. In this case, how do you sell your phones unless the exact amount of time is up?

Also, if it's exactly the same then why change it? It must be benefiting the companies in some way, and I guarantee it's not to help us out.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
You used to be able to sell your phones pretty much after a certain period of time if you signed a new contract or upgraded. In this case, how do you sell your phones unless the exact amount of time is up?

Also, if it's exactly the same then why change it? It must be benefiting the companies in some way, and I guarantee it's not to help us out.

With these new payment plans... the price is based on a 24-month period. So if you want to get rid of the phone before then... you must pay the balance. It's not much different than the old way. You can't sell something you don't own... and you don't own it until you finish paying for it.

As for the "why change it" part... I think the other carriers were bugged by T-Mobile's "uncarrier" movement.

Apparently people didn't like being on a contract. So the carriers got rid of contracts.

But people don't like paying $650+ for a phone up-front either. So now we have payment plans.

It's the same idea though. You get to walk out of the store without paying a ton of money for a phone up-front.

Both "contracts/subsidies" and "payment plans" are the same idea. They're both "pay over time" methods.

I don't think carriers make any money from the phone anyway... their business is selling the service.

But since you need a phone in order to use the service... they offered various methods for you to have a phone at a reasonable monthly cost.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I don't get it. How will we be able to charge our phones while using headphones??

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I was replying to the rediculous Notion that the iPhone is already a professional device. Which it clearly isn't.

Yes, it is. I think you're forgetting it might be an advanced phone but it's still a phone, not a laptop. How much does a phone have to do before you'll finally call it a pro device?

billy the fish

Suspended
Jul 23, 2015
Yes, it is. I think you're forgetting it might be an advanced phone but it's still a phone, not a laptop. How much does a phone have to do before you'll finally call it a pro device?
You can't access the locked down file system. Pro is something it ain't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.