Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hm, you're right, sometimes it doesn't say apparently. I'm 95% sure it's running 60 Hz, but it would be nice to get that confirmed.. Sadly I don't know how to check that either ;). Maybe some gpu test has a "enable vsync" option that will lock the framerate to the display refresh rate, but otherwise I'm out of ideas. Anyone else know?
The OS X GUI has a standard refresh rate of 60 Hz. I doubt that the Retina iMac uses less.

spetzdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Has anyone tried running up to date games on the new imac retina with the upgraded CPU and GPU?

Im wondering how it will preform even if you have to tone down the res to a standard display? say to around 1080p?

Cheers

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
I can't do any fan at all any more it just makes me nuts. Really I need me PC to be silent these days. Any noise at all and I don't even consider it. I bought my MBA at the time because a misinformed web review site said it was fanless. It's close enough though, at least since apple patched the fan bug on Mavericks.

It is always trade-off between noise and performance. If you don't need performance - you could use completely fanless devices like iPad or Raspberry Pi, but if you need more performance and silence it is much easier to build it in a big box than in a MacBook/iMac form factor.
MacBook/iMac with fans will always be louder than big silent oriented computer.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
It doesn't make any difference to the MacPro - think of all the internal HDs and PCI cards you can cram into that sucker...

Oh, wait, that was the old MacPro...

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
[/COLOR]

It sucks that you're having issues but it sounds like you are in a pretty small group of affected people. To counter your anecdotes with more anecdotes, I've upgraded lots of Macs to Yosemite and I've had no problems. I haven't seen this problem mentioned in the tech media either. Not to diminish your experience but I think it's a little much to demand that they openly weep about your computer troubles.

I'm glad to hear you had no trouble, but as far as I know I'm far from being the only one with the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26912110?ac_cid=tw123456#26912110

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
What exactly is the purpose of the Mac Pro?

It's an OpenCL monster, workstations are spec'ed around the work to be done with them not general purpose computing in mind.

I am persoanlly familiar with all history of the Mac since the Mac II, but you can't charge top dollar for a MacPro that runs slower than an iMac

They always have because Mac Pro's are not general purpose computers they're workstations intended to do one thing.

I thought someone might comment on that, but isn't the thread really about the questioning the supposed superior processing power of Mac Pro compared to cheaper options?

In the job that they're supposed to do a Mac Pro even a quad will out run it even the quad with it's baby cards with out GPU compute the iMac.

This is very quiet fan. Because of non retina iMacs weren't updated, I finally gave up and ordered proper gaming hardware (including this fan) as my 2011 iMac replacement. I expect that my new box will be quieter than iMac and with much better gaming performance.

Yes that's a VERY good air cooler.

I'm still holding on to my custom gaming PC. I have no issues gaming at 1080P so I'm going to Boot Camp the Retina iMac and try playing games at that resolution. If it keeps up with my GTX 760 then I'll put it on Craig's list.

I'd bet the iMac out performs the PC especially since the GTX 760 is a very mid-range GPU. You could just sell the GPU and pick up a 970 and probably only be out $100 and if you're not running lots a resolution have better performance than both the iMac and your existing card.

dafagdhg

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
how about the pci-e flash test?
36.gif

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, have Apple stiffed Mac Pro users ??

true, its more "Pro" on a new mac pro, but that's without a screen still.

While you could get a 4k display attached, the 5K iMac looks more appealing.

(although the Xeon is also on the Mac Pro)

HarCees

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
So, do you guys think it will be overclockable? :p
I mean, why did they go with a k version when there is a non-k version ?

I have the same CPU(although overklocked) in my PC and I use a tower cooler. I really wonder how good the cooling is in this Imac.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
So, have Apple stiffed Mac Pro users ??

true, its more "Pro" on a new mac pro, but that's without a screen still.

While you could get a 4k display attached, the 5K iMac looks more appealing.

(although the Xeon is also on the Mac Pro)

I'm actually going to try to run dual 4k's on the mac pro. Something definitely not possible on the iMac. If it sucks and the Dell's are going to perform awfully, then I might go the iMac route and sacrifice the quietness and power of the mac pro.

----------

So, do you guys think it will be overclockable? :p
I mean, why did they go with a k version when there is a non-k version ?

I have the same CPU(although overklocked) in my PC and I use a tower cooler. I really wonder how good the cooling is in this Imac.

There really isn't a bios to do the clocking updates. There might be software, but not that I know of for Mac anyway.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
That's a big if, Skylake is already woefully late and Intel will mostly likely want to get more out of Broadwell. Intel has massively blown their schedule before, look at how late Itanium 2 was.

Sure, Intel has been way late before, but I haven't heard much, nor am finding much now on Skylake being pushed back as far as early 2016.

Is there newer information that what the following link is saying?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/co...ktop-broadwell-processors-irrelevant--1265595

That's from Sept 15, so its only about a month old. And like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if Intel does push Skylake back to early 2016, but do we actually have reason to believe they will?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Sure, Intel has been way late before, but I haven't heard much, nor am finding much now on Skylake being pushed back as far as early 2016.

Is there newer information that what the following link is saying?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/co...ktop-broadwell-processors-irrelevant--1265595

That's from Sept 15, so its only about a month old. And like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if Intel does push Skylake back to early 2016, but do we actually have reason to believe they will?

You really think Intel will skip Broadwell then?

----------

NM, Just read the article.. sounds like it might.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Apple are good at that. They did, after all, install U2 bloatware on millions of devices.
They should just send Bono to everybody's house for a day, not sure I'd put up with the smoking though.

Why can't we get the new Foo Fighters album instead?

----------

not necessarily.

The problem with the Mac Pro is that it is based on Server class CPU's. which have generally been a generation behind their consumer oriented brethren.

The new iMac's are using the latest, and fastest CPU's Intel has ever released.

the Mac Pro's are based on the latest Xeon Server CPU's which aren't generally the fastest. There is nothing Apple can do for the Mac Pro until Intel releases their next Xeons or, re-engineers the Mac pro again to use Consumer level components (Haswell I5's)

Being that the Mac pro's are using Xeon CPU's for their ability to run hotter, for longer periods of time, theirs not really the Apples to Apples comparison between CPU's since the usage scenarios are different.
Hey, I'm just sitting around waiting for new Xeons like the next guy.

Of course there's no guarantee I'll buy them in a Mac at this point, I'm always concerned about heat in a computer, and a company that builds everything "thinner" doesn't necessarily share my concerns.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
You really think Intel will skip Broadwell then?

----------

NM, Just read the article.. sounds like it might.

No, I think Apple will largely skip Broadwell, maybe mostly for the iMacs and Mac mini though. The mobile processors may see enough battery life improvements to justify broadwell and Skylake updates. Especially if the laptops are updated to broadwell immediately upon release then Apple waits a couple months to update the laptops once Skylake is available. Also, mobile Broadwell CPUs might be available a little ahead of the desktop parts.

Intel, however, has far to much invested in Broadwell already to just skip it.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Sorry, I don't think that's in either place. Here's a screenshot of the System Report screen. Glad to find this out for you in some other way though - DM me.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wRrz4VY/

Hey Modano, Just wondering. When you move your mouse around, even though it's probably 60hz, does it feel a little delayed? Like you move your mouse, but cursor doesn't move for no more than 20ms, but still noticeable?

Modano

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
New Orleans
Hey Modano, Just wondering. When you move your mouse around, even though it's probably 60hz, does it feel a little delayed? Like you move your mouse, but cursor doesn't move for no more than 20ms, but still noticeable?

Nope, feels instantaneous, very snappy. I'm going to try out some games tonight and see how responsive it is.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Nope, feels instantaneous, very snappy. I'm going to try out some games tonight and see how responsive it is.

Yeah, I tried one at the apple store. Fell in love, putting in an order right now and posting my mac pro for sale.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I checked the new iMac out at the Apple store. It was the base model for $2499, and it is a very nice machine. The display is fantastic, IMO. I have no idea about performance, but it was nice to use and seemed quick. Reading was easy on the eyes. It doesn't seem to have that overwhelming in your face appearance as the non Retina version, if that makes any sense. I like it. As soon as I knock off a couple of 7-11's, I can get one. :D

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I checked the new iMac out at the Apple store. It was the base model for $2499, and it is a very nice machine. The display is fantastic, IMO. I have no idea about performance, but it was nice to use and seemed quick. Reading was easy on the eyes. It doesn't seem to have that overwhelming in your face appearance as the non Retina version, if that makes any sense. I like it. As soon as I knock off a couple of 7-11's, I can get one. :D

Are you worried that the default graphics card on the base model will be underpowered for the screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.