high res screen worth the price?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by espiritujo, Sep 27, 2011.

1. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

I'm considering a 15inch MBP and I was wondering if the high res screen is worth it? How noticeable are the differences?

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You can never have too many pixels

I haven't tried it, but, I love the 17" high-res.

3. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What I'm most eager to know, is whether the 1440 x 900 resolution is fine for every day tasks (Safari, iWork, iMovie etc.). Does this resolution allow for comfortable working space? I ask this because I prefer the 1440 x 900 res, but I'm not sure whether it is enough for a main computer (and I don't want to use an external display).

4. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

To answer that question you really have to ask how you use your computer now. I've noticed that strangely there are two kinds of people:

1. People who love windows maximized and run very few applications on one screen at a time (they use full screen apps, spaces, etc)

2. People who hate windows maximized and try to keep everything on 1-2 screens

If you are a #2 person, you probably need more pixels because you keep a lot of things open and you would like all the windows "peeking out" from the sides. If you are a #1 person the smaller display is fine because when windows are maximized you can normally see what you need to in the program.

And yes, there are obviously exceptions to these kinds of people...

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It really depends on how you work and what you are doing. Most of these Programs are designed so people can use them even on 1280x800.
    If you use iMovie you'd want to have a lot of screen space but it isn't essential. iWork and Safari don't need anymore than 1280x800 but if you typ on some stuff say a homerwork and you want to view the homework description next to it without the need to constantly swtich around you need more screen space.
    I use Eclipse for programming. That is highely configureabel. You can hide, overlap, show not show just about any panel you want. No problem fitting it on 1280x800 but it helps a lot if you can display more informatin next to each other.
    There have been studys which show a quite big increase of productivity with second monitors because you don't have to switch back and forth. If all you is open one app work in it and switch somewhere else after 30 mins you will do fine with 1440x900.
    I also prefer higher res because it effectively shrinks all the menus and buttons. The main stuff I actually work on gets more prominent because that doesn't shrink. If you work in something like Photoshop you see a much sharper pictures than can use more space and you even get more menus at the side.
    Menus shrink not the important content (you can zoom it to any desired level in just about any app). You still can read those menus easy enough.

6. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Thanks guys, OP: sorry for hijacking the thread. :eek:

I never have to use Photoshop or any other design program for that matter.. I am a BSc Business Administration student, and I am nearly ready to start work on my Bachelor's thesis. I usually have to work with rather large theses and spreadsheets, often requiring to constantly switch back and forth between the internet, university references and the document itself. If I understood correctly, this should work fine on the 1440 x 900 res?

Can't wait to order it in a week or two. :)

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

If it's a lot of spreadsheet work go with the high res, I find 1440 x 900 somewhat crammed when it comes to large spreadsheets. Sure you can zoom out but that's only effective to a point.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is exactly where low res sucks. I would definitely go high res with that usage.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a matter of taste and visual comfort. I mean by that is, if you can easily see the hi res screen, then yeah. For my 46+ old eye, it creates a level of eye strain. Go with what's comfortable to view for hours whether its hi or regular res.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I went from a 2008 MBP with the glossy screen to a new MBP with the high res anti-glare screen, and I couldn't be happier. I'm still transferring files and setting things up on the new MBP, so I've had to go back and forth between the two computers a few times. The high res screen took a little getting used to at first, but now when I look at the regular glossy screen, everything seems huge and I have to do a lot more scrolling.

I'm in graphic design, so having the extra screen real estate is really nice when I'm working on a project.

11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I am very glad i spent the $150 or whatever it turned out to be to upgrade. Well worth it for what i do. Even just working in excel, mail, chrome, and itunes stuff looks much crisper to me. It does take some time to get used to, but once your eyes do, you won't regret the upgrade

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The hi-res anti-glare option is very fairly priced.

A stellar example that Apple _can_ price things without gouging the customer.

I highly endorse this option, it's way overdue. Apple resisted for years and saddled the 15" MBP with only a low res display. Years before I'd been enjoying hi-res anti-glare displays on my ThinkPads, yet suffering with low-res on my MBP's.

I was beginning to wonder how long Apple would let their ego stand in the way of progress. Heh! And Apple claims to innovate. Yeah right.

The moment they finally came to their senses in 2010, I bought the hi-res upon release. It's wonderful.

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Not to me.

Your mileage may vary.

It's far too personal a preference for you to get an answer here - you have to see both and decide for yourself. I don't care about the money part, I just don't like how tiny text, etc., get on the high-resolution screen. Major eyestrain.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

For me every pixel counts! Which is why my Nirvana is a 27" iMac and that with a second monitor. I sacrifice with my MacBook.

But the best way to know for sure is go to a store where you can compare the two and try them out. I don't have a 15" MBP (I want maximum portability) but did check them out at the Apple Store and much preferred the high res display.

15. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

It's always a personal opinion, so you really have to take a look yourself.

For me, I wouldn't even consider 1440x900 on a 15" screen, way too low. In fact I would love to have an option to have 1920x1080/1200 on a 15". I like to use all my screen real estate, and the more the better.

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Seconded, though 1920x1200 on 15" would be very tiny... :eek: The 17" with that resolution is the sweet spot for content developers (IMHO), and ultimately worth every penny.

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its not small at all and i wear glassses LOL

i love the high res anti glare display.

18. andrewjthrelfo macrumors newbie

andrewjthrelfo

Technically, it's more screen space with no additional weight. Go for it!

19. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Definitely! You should try it in the store before you buy it anyway :)

20. crazee928 macrumors member

i was contemplating this too. was debating between a 13" mbp and a 15" mbp JUST to have the hi-res display. but i'd have to purchase a custom 15" from apple, which means sales tax and a total of ~$2200. i don't game, so the extra graphics power is a moot point for me. the extra weight didn't thrill me too much either since i'm coming from a 17" windows laptop and wanted to downsize.

on the other hand, i could get a base 13" mbp from macmall for $1100 shipped and use the extra cash to buy a 27" thunderbolt display, which rivals the 15" hi-res AND is cheaper when combined.

i chose the latter. i'll get the external display when i feel like the 1200x800 is too limiting.

21. Jrv macrumors regular

1200X800 user here; you people are entirely too picky.

22. Michal11 macrumors member

Personally I think this high res is way too high for a laptop.

If you are graphic designer, video maker = yes. If not and you use it for other things I dont really see a reason. Everything looks so ridiculously small that it is not usable for me. And btw I have excellent eyes and dont wear glasses.

23. auxsend macrumors regular

I would go hi-res. I don't have one, but I'm planning on buying one at the next hardware update.

I have compared the two in store, and I find the hi-res screen to be optimal for a "Pro" laptop.

I actually wish the 13 inch MBP would have a nicer screen. At 1200x800 it's pretty much useless for anything but websites and email. Hell, the Air has a nicer screen.

24. Akack macrumors 6502a

This.

Before I bought my mbp, I spent some time playing with the regular and hi res at the Apple store and doing my "research" on macrumors.

I bought the hi res screen, and after using it in the real world setting (ie not leaning on the table inside the Apple store) I found out the hi res was not for me, fonts too small and gave me a headache.

I returned it and bought the regular glossy.

25. ljones macrumors regular

I wish i opted for the hi-res, now as for would that be best for my work setup... not likely. My wife has one, so I can use them side by side, big difference. But, when it comes to apps like photoshop, final cut... those palettes are small as hell. So it ultimately depends on your day to day use. My mac will generally be docked to a display, so not a big deal.