High res with the anti-glare or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MauerFan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm set on a 15" non retina MBP and now I have one final question. Should I go with the high res with anti-glare screen?

2. barredfreak macrumors 6502

Yes. The anti-glare screen helps a little when you're using the laptop outdoors.

3. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Depends if you want the colours to pop and be brighter? If so, no anti-glare.

4. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I never considered that. I'll have to decide.

5. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Not just outdoors, essentially anywhere with light hitting the screen. With my Macbook I've had to keep the brightness turned all the way up when I'm sitting somewhere kinda bright, never had to with my ole' matte iBook.
    Purposely ordered a refurb 17 inch matte just because I was tired of looking at the florescent lights above me.

OP if you get the chance go down to a store that sells them and try out both matte and glossy.

6. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

This is really the only way to decide. :apple:

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Glossy or Anti-glare is a personal decision. Some people like one, some like the other. I've had both and I greatly prefer the anti-glare, but that's just me. The colors on it look just fine, and there's no distracting glare. You'd really be best off going to an Apple Store and trying both of them to see which you like best, rather than taking opinions from strangers.

8. whdigital macrumors regular

Did TONS of hands on with both in the 2011 series and for me there's absolutely no contest. The AG is astoundingly better, and I just didn't see appreciable color saturation and brightness issues. Brightness might be a perception issue because the reflected light all over the glossy screen makes everything look a little brighter. ;)

9. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I'd go with the anti glare. The glossy is prettier to look at for 20 seconds but I feel like the anti glare or matte version is so much easier on your eyes. It's been a little bit of a transition as I've gone from my AG to my retina. I love how clear the retina is, but I've had to look down for 5 seconds a few times because i'm not used to the eye strain. AG for sure.

10. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

11. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

That's true, I guess I have never noticed the anti-glare Macs in the actual store.

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If you want to save some money or the high res doesn't appeal to you consider buying the $35 Power Support anti-glare film.

I use it on my iPad and 13" MBP. When I compared it to my 15" MBP with a matte display I could not see an appreciable difference. Unlike less expensive film it does not introduce color shifts or artifacts.

13. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, I will definitely consider that!

14. thomaskc macrumors 6502

That statement right there says something though... the fact that you don't notice them also means they don't actually look that different or washed out or what ever. I am in the sam position as OP right now where Im trying to figure out what screen to choose.

All logic says anti glare for... pretty much every reason. I just had both to play with and I was suprised how not bad the AG was, but also how nice the glossy looks :p ITS SO SHINY!!! :p yeah still can't decide lol.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only you can decide that. You just have to see the anti-glare screen next to a glossy screen and see which you prefer.
    I went in one of the local Apple stores today to look at the RMBP for the first time. After looking at it, I was walking around and seeing the light bounce off all the MBP displays. From about 15 feet away, I saw a display that caught my eye and looked really clear and easy to see. It turned out to be the anti-glare display. YMMV

16. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

It depends entirely on your usage an your personal preference. Anti-glare doesn't stop light bouncing off the screen, it just diffuses it across the whole screen, as a result - when there is something shining on the screen - you get reduced saturation and contrast on the AG screen, but this is balanced by the Gloss screen reflecting the light and rendering parts of the screen un-viewable.

When I first got my MB in 2006 I was completely enamoured with the screen, but over the intervening years my opinion has slowly shifted, and now I'm 100% AG.

The thing that pushed it over the edge for me was viewing the two (AG and glossy) in an Apple Store. The glossy looked marvellous, but reflected everything in the store, whereas the AG screen (in the less than perfect lighting environment) was 99.5% as good as the glossy, but was actually usable.

17. MauerFan thread starter macrumors regular

I'll have to go look for myself then, interesting.

18. Wonderhaven macrumors newbie

It's personal preference. I went with the hi-res glossy display because I thought the colors looked richer and the image looked sharper. The glare didn't bother me with the glossy screen either.

Just go into an Apple store and play around with both. Figure out if the glare is going to bother you and then just decide on which one looks better to you.

19. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Did you compare the hi-res screen to the new retina one? What was your verdict?

20. Cypther macrumors member

21. rays09 macrumors member

anti glare but why are they put silver bazel in it?:mad:

22. Wonderhaven macrumors newbie

I ordered a Retina MBP but it's not scheduled to be delivered until July 2 so I haven't had a chance to compare. I can get back to you once it arrives and let you know how big the difference with the two screens when they sit side by side. I've heard though that the difference is very noticable in favor of the Retina and there is no going back.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some prefer the silver bezel. I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the silver keys. I'm sure I'm not the only one who still prefers the all-aluminum appearance of the non-unibody MBPs. I wish they offered an all-aluminum option.

24. mantoine2000 macrumors newbie

* I returned my Retina today because of the gloss *

Many of you will be in shock, because I returned my retina today (received it yesterday). The screen is too glossy for me. I know it's less glossy than MBP but I've been used to anti-glare on my PC (switching from PC to Mac) and the gloss is too much. I travel often and like to work by windows and natural light, sometimes outdoor, and it was just too distracting for me.

I am a non-media and pro user, and don't need the super sharp display, but would rather have an anti-glare display. Also, I was hoping to hold on to my most expensive laptop purchase by keeping it 3-5 years, but due to the fact that you cannot upgrade the SSD (*), I had to look at the big picture and decided a super fast machine with limited storage (for the price I could put in) wasn't for the type of user I am. I need a machine that can evolve with my needs.

Too bad, it was lighting' fast, beautiful, and quiet as a mouse.

Antoine

(*) of course no one knows on this one, although Apple told me they won't. Looking at the MBA, Apple shut down a third party SSD provider, therefore very likely they will do the same and that no third party SSD for the MBPR will ever come; Apple might but at a very high cost, so essentially not upgradable.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not shocked at all. It's a great looking computer, but the glossy is a deal-breaker for me, too.