Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'm trying to understand the procedure or process of how to upgrade.
First, make sure you have a complete back-up.

IIRC when I installed, the 2011 version stayed in place, so I at one point had both 2011 and 2016 installed, though now only 2016.

When I deleted the 2011 version, it only deletes the program files. Your data files stay in place.

On a somewhat related note, you may have something loading in your OS that is causing 2011 not to work. Check Login Items for a start, and/or Etre Check (free) to see if there are extensions/etc that may be loading and causing you troubles. This is pretty common for people (like me!) who have had their Macs for a long time, updating application software, etc.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
OP, a couple more bits here before heading out the door. First, the Home & Office is a nice option but I've been told that it may not carry over to the next perpetual version, OTOH, MS has lowered the price of some of their Office products namely dropping the price of O365 Home by $20 a couple of weeks ago. Also, don't buy Office 2016 - 2019 is already in testing in the Business Channel and it might see deployment in 2-3 months, and there's no upgrade path, full prices only.

I've been testing 2019 and only Word has evolved to this point, while the other apps should be updated in the next 45-60 days. These updates are reflected in the web-based Office suite (which IMO doesn't suck anymore) and the Word applet is pretty much the same as the Office 2019 Word desktop app. MS's offers their main 3 apps at no cost on the web, I'm using it in concert with Windows Office 2016 for documents that don't have macros/VBA and have had zero issues, exchanged via OneDrive. The free suite associated with my personal Outlook.com account appears identical since I opted in for the new features. I live in Excel and Word, the online apps do 90 percent of what I need, only missing the VBA environment and links to Access in some of my documents. MS Free Office Online apps info. Cheers.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you have to uninstall MSO for Mac 2011 in order to install MSO for Mac 2016 or even MSO for Mac 2019 (if I decide to wait for that) how do you access your Excel files in MSO for Mac 2011? When you uninstall a program, do your Excel 2011 files remain and the upgraded program just opens them, hopefully, uncorrupted and in tact?

Office 2011 and Office 2016 can co-exist together. Uninstalling Office 2011 does not remove your documents (Word, Excel, PPT) or personal templates. It would be very unlikely that any new version of Office not be able to open documents from a previous version. My Office 2011 can even open documents from Office 97! :D

Reactions: Elnlou and mikzn

biyahero1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Lots of folks say their MSO 2011 works on HS. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. :(
[doublepost=1530107871][/doublepost]

I checked out the website and the offer still seems to be there. Do you know if it is 64 bit?? So, when you're ready you will download it from a link they provided in an e-mail? Do you feel this website is legit? The website owner hides the country of origin. I'm just being cautious.

I'm trying to understand the procedure or process of how to upgrade. Forgive me if I'm dense about it.

If you have to uninstall MSO for Mac 2011 in order to install MSO for Mac 2016 or even MSO for Mac 2019 (if I decide to wait for that) how do you access your Excel files in MSO for Mac 2011? When you uninstall a program, do your Excel 2011 files remain and the upgraded program just opens them, hopefully, uncorrupted and in tact?

It is my understanding that both Office 2016 Home and Business for Mac and the upcoming Office 2019 Home and Business for Mac are 64 bit. I believe that the website is legit. They sent me a Product Key immediately and instructions to download it from Microsoft with a URL of https://setup.office.com. Also since I have had some experience with promotional programs from places like bitsdujour where you get programs directly from the publisher but must install and activate them in some time period like 30 days, I emailed this primeosr entity and asked them about that, and their support responded very quickly with this message:

Beginning of Quoted email...
Dear Customer,

Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM

There is no time limit. It is a retail license that belongs to you and can be used whenever you deem fit.

2016 version is far better than 2011. You can always put back the 2011 if you do not like for any reason. Almost nobody goes back to 2011 after seeing the improvements in 2016. It works better and is much faster as well. Mac Office 2011 is also no longer supported by Microsoft and using it makes your computer vulnerable to malware and viruses that target outdated software.

We will send you the 2019 version when it becomes available. As Microsoft partner, we get availability information before it becomes public knowledge. There will be a 2019 version and we have made a note on your order that you opted to get the free upgrade instead of coupon.
End of quoted email....

When you first order they send you a PDF file with your License Key and a link to a Microsoft site to download it and also a link to a Microsoft Tool which will automatically remove Office 2011 prior to installation of Office 2016... they do say upgrades are not supported and you must to a clean install of 2016, but this tool will remove 2011 for you, or this link to the tool (which is on a Microsoft Office Support site) will give you directions how to manually uninstall 2011.

Now as far as your existing files, I am not sure about what would happen to them if they are saved on your computer. I have all my Office files saved in a "Microsoft Office Files" folder on DropBox which results in each file being downloaded from DropBox each time I open it on my computer and saved o Dropbox each time I close it, and also enables me to work with that same file on my iPad if I choose to using the Office 365 subscription I have enabled on that device.... I don't want Office 365 on my MacBook because I prefer the non subscription type so I will always have access to my files.

I think but am not sure that there are copies of the latest Office files on my computer in a Dropbox folder which are instantly accessible without being downloaded... they seem to be instantly opened... and then they get saved to DropBox when I close Office 2011, whereas if I access one of the files on my iPad using Office 365 it says it is downloading the file from Dropbox before it opens.

If I were you I would save all my Office Files somewhere in a separate directory or even an external drive before uninstalling Office 2011 just to be sure you won't lose them, and then you could copy them back to the Office 2016 default document directory after installation.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If I were you I would save all my Office Files somewhere in a separate directory or even an external drive before uninstalling Office 2011 just to be sure you won't lose them, and then you could copy them back to the Office 2016 default document directory after installation.

Again, Office 2016 and Office 2011 can co-exist very nicely. Installing Office 2016 does not disturb Office 2011 files or documents. The only thing Office 2016 does is that it will become the default app for Office files.

And... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your copy of 2019. Microsoft is the king of vaporware. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Elnlou

biyahero1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
Again, Office 2016 and Office 2011 can co-exist very nicely. Installing Office 2016 does not disturb Office 2011 files or documents. The only thing Office 2016 does is that it will become the default app for Office files.

And... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your copy of 2019. Microsoft is the king of vaporware. :rolleyes:

Well I just quoted the instructions they sent me.

Those directions says "upgrades are not supported" and say you should uninstall 2011 first, but if you don't try to "upgrade" and just do a fresh install of the installer that you download from Microsoft, I would not be surprised if you could have both versions coexisting simultaneously, and I have heard before that you could.

As for Office 2019, I don't really care. I just chose that option to get Office 2019 for Ma free over the coupon they were offering for (I forget what that didn't interest me much... maybe it was a discount on Office for PC or a CD Backup of Office for Mac 2016).

Anyway as long as Office for Mac 2016 continues to work with all future versions of OS/X as it should since it is 64 bit, if Office 2019 for Mac appears fine, if not fine also.

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
First, make sure you have a complete back-up.

IIRC when I installed, the 2011 version stayed in place, so I at one point had both 2011 and 2016 installed, though now only 2016.

When I deleted the 2011 version, it only deletes the program files. Your data files stay in place.

On a somewhat related note, you may have something loading in your OS that is causing 2011 not to work. Check Login Items for a start, and/or Etre Check (free) to see if there are extensions/etc that may be loading and causing you troubles. This is pretty common for people (like me!) who have had their Macs for a long time, updating application software, etc.

Sorry it took so long to say thanks. I am only now seriously starting to do my updates, etc. Fingers crossed.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I installed Office 2011 (with Outlook) on 2 MBP's that I upgraded to Mojave but they worked on HS also.

I did have some issues after the Mojave upgrade and even though I had installed the last update for office (Version 14.7.7) I found that downloading the final update directly from Microsoft Web Site and re-installing it over the previous version of the apps resolves all the issues I had with excel and outlook.

I use outlook and excel daily and was concerned so I purchased office 2016 - but after I got it working I am still using 2011 because I am used to the menus and features. One of my emails is an exchange email and I am sure I will need to use 2016 soon.

Anyway just thought I would mention this - if you get any glitches it may be worth installing the direct downloaded update over top of your final installed version of office 2011 to get it to work.

Here is the link to the final update - Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.7.7 Update

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I never got to install the last upgrade (14.7.7) to the version of MSO for Mac 2011 that I am currently using, 14.7.2. So this is very helpful.

I'm assuming I don't have to worry about MSO for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 (14.1.0)? This I probably already have, yes?

I'm going to install the last upgrade as you suggested. Then buy MSO 2016 Home & Student for MAC. It got terrible reviews on the Microsoft website but I'm not seeing a choice. I backed up everything on Time Machine. I'll see if this version of MSO 2016 works on my current MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. Then, I will upgrade my OS to High Sierra in preparation for eventually getting MSO 2019. Thanks for the link.

I installed Office 2011 (with Outlook) on 2 MBP's that I upgraded to Mojave but they worked on HS also.

I did have some issues after the Mojave upgrade and even though I had installed the last update for office (Version 14.7.7) I found that downloading the final update directly from Microsoft Web Site and re-installing it over the previous version of the apps resolves all the issues I had with excel and outlook.

I use outlook and excel daily and was concerned so I purchased office 2016 - but after I got it working I am still using 2011 because I am used to the menus and features. One of my emails is an exchange email and I am sure I will need to use 2016 soon.

Anyway just thought I would mention this - if you get any glitches it may be worth installing the direct downloaded update over top of your final installed version of office 2011 to get it to work.

Here is the link to the final update - Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.7.7 Update

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
before you upgrade to High Sierra you can finish upgrading office from within excel or outlook app in the help menu < "check for Updates" and keep redoing the updates up to 14.7.7

yes the Service Pack 1 (14.1.0) is old and already done if you are at 14.7.2

I found Office 2011 worked OK in High Sierra but had glitches when I upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra - at that point the update in the help menu said there were no more updates available and the Mojave install seemed to have broken Office 2011 - that is when I tried the direct download in the link above and installing that worked and it been fine for about a month now on both MBP's. 2 different licences (which I had to reenter)

If you do the office upgrades before the High Sierra upgrade there is a good chance it will work with no issues.

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I didn't realize I could update MSO 2011 for excel thru the help menu. I though updates were done but I guess that was support that was done? Perhaps that is why my MSO 2011 didn't work in MacOS High Sierra when I first tried it. How many updates are there before I reach 14.7.7? Five? :)

Thanks for your help.

before you upgrade to High Sierra you can finish upgrading office from within excel or outlook app in the help menu < "check for Updates" and keep redoing the updates up to 14.7.7

yes the Service Pack 1 (14.1.0) is old and already done if you are at 14.7.2

I found Office 2011 worked OK in High Sierra but had glitches when I upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra - at that point the update in the help menu said there were no more updates available and the Mojave install seemed to have broken Office 2011 - that is when I tried the direct download in the link above and installing that worked and it been fine for about a month now on both MBP's. 2 different licences (which I had to reenter)

If you do the office upgrades before the High Sierra upgrade there is a good chance it will work with no issues.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Not sure how many between 14.7.2 and 14.7.7 but it would be best to do before you upgrade the OS - some of the updates may be small security updates etc. - probably wont take long to do them all.

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Well, my plan to migrate from MSO for Mac 2011 to MSO for Mac 2019 just blew up. The MSO website doesn't offer MSO for MAC 2016 anymore, only MSO for Mac 2019. The MSO support person referred me to Amazon to get MSO 2016 but I don't trust Amazon and the version offered seems to be old and only good on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, etc. Also, review there had lots of complaints of licenses already used and pirated.

However, as Mikzn suggested, I did upgrade from 14.7.2 to 14.7.7. Thank you!!!

Here is what the MS support person told me:
MacQueen: Yes for our Office product do have a backward compatibility. That you can view and open files from the previous version of Office. And to set your expectation for the Office 2019 to run on your Mac you will be needing to have an 10.12 OS or later version.
14:19, Oct 2
You: I tried MSO for Mack 2011 on high Sierra and it didn't work.
14:20, Oct 2
MacQueen:
Yes you are correct with that. For the product is no longer compatible on your current OS that would be the reason and you will be needing to purchase an updated version of Office.

Don't know if I can trust the MS salesperson on whether I can open my current 2011 spreadsheets in tact in the MSO 2019 version for MAC on High Sierra or Mojave.

Any suggestions? Is there a safe/trusted site where I can buy and download the latest version of MSO 2016 for MAC? I can only do a download as my MacBook Pro doesn't have a cd slot.

Sorry, for the rant. I need some more direction here. :) Thanks.

Not sure how many between 14.7.2 and 14.7.7 but it would be best to do before you upgrade the OS - some of the updates may be small security updates etc. - probably wont take long to do them all.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I would be surprised if MSO 2019 were not able to open your sheets made with MSO 2011. I'm still using MSO 2011 with Mojave and have no problem opening and editing documents made with MSO 97! The first time I opened MSO 2011 in Mojave I received the Apple warning that this application has not been optimized. However, it still works just as well as before. I'm running 14.7.7.

I also have MSO 2016 but have removed it due to it being bloatware and the fact that it does not IMO improve anything from 2011. I have no idea what MSO 2019 will be like. The stand alone version (not subscription) has not been released yet.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks for the update. I wasn't aware that they had released the stand alone version. I'll wait a bit though to see what others say about it before I buy a copy.

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I agree with you chscag. I am leaning toward skipping MSO for Mac 2016 and getting MSO for Mac 2019 & just cross my fingers that it truly has backward compatibility. Now that my MSO for 2011 is upgraded to 14.7.7 I hope this software will work when I upgrade my OS eventually. However, I am waiting a little bit longer before buying 2019. This is very encouraging:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-for-mac-16b8414f-08ec-4b24-8c91-10a918f649f8

Guys, thanks for holding my hands thru this. I'll report back.

Thanks for the update. I wasn't aware that they had released the stand alone version. I'll wait a bit though to see what others say about it before I buy a copy.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I agree with you chscag. I am leaning toward skipping MSO for Mac 2016 and getting MSO for Mac 2019 & just cross my fingers that it truly has backward compatibility. Now that my MSO for 2011 is upgraded to 14.7.7 I hope this software will work when I upgrade my OS eventually. However, I am waiting a little bit longer before buying 2019. This is very encouraging:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-for-mac-16b8414f-08ec-4b24-8c91-10a918f649f8

Guys, thanks for holding my hands thru this. I'll report back.
I'm not sure what's "encouraging" about that link- all it says is that 2019 will require a newer OS if you're using anything older than Sierra. Office 2019 is basically the same thing as 2016 with a handful of new features. Both 2019 and 2016 open really old Office files without a problem.

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I'm not sure what's "encouraging" about that link- all it says is that 2019 will require a newer OS if you're using anything older than Sierra. Office 2019 is basically the same thing as 2016 with a handful of new features. Both 2019 and 2016 open really old Office files without a problem.

All good to know. Thanks.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I have been using Office 2013 under Win10 with boot camp. Considering moving to Office for Mac. I have not updated to Mojave yet - three attempts and still had issues so waiting for 10.14.1 to be released. Anyone with experience with either 2016 or 2019 Office for Mac with Mojave? Thanks

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I have been using Office 2013 under Win10 with boot camp. Considering moving to Office for Mac. I have not updated to Mojave yet - three attempts and still had issues so waiting for 10.14.1 to be released. Anyone with experience with either 2016 or 2019 Office for Mac with Mojave? Thanks

I have the client version of O365 installed on my system with Outlook Client and other Office Apps and can tell you they look absolutely horrible, fuzzy text, blur, etc, on my 2018 15" Retina. I upgraded to Mojave and the fonts and overall clarity of the apps looked much better on HS. I find it worse with dark mode enabled.

Really wish MS would focus on Apple Users since more enterprises are bringing macbook's in house over traditional Windows Devices giving users choice.

Elnlou

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
It shouldn't be such a struggle to upgrade apple OS to the latest versions. Apple & MS are not friendly to one another on a good day. Call me whimpy but I find it all stressful. But, the folks here are a calming welcome.
[doublepost=1539196848][/doublepost]BTW, MS doesn't offer MSO 2016 on their website anymore. They refer you to Amazon.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I downgraded from Mojave last night through a clean install and immediately noticed a performance increase in just something as simple as Outlook.

Yesterday, while running Mojave, Outlook consumed ~1.5GB - 2GB of memory which just my main mail window open. Today, on HS, its only using 400MB.

Definitely looks like, in my non technical opinion, there are memory leaks or some other compatibility issues with O365 and Mojave.

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
I just rolled back to Office 2011 Home and Student. I don't use or need Outlook, just Word and Excel for some contract work I do. Office 365's subscription model just isn't worth it (to me anyway) and all my personal files are in iWork. Office 2011 installed fine and I had to call the 1-866 number to get the 42 digit activation code. All my work docs and sheets work just fine. My 2013 iMac probably won't be on the next OS upgrade anyway so for the next year or 2, this will work for me.

Reactions: mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.