Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
If the OS will be supper snappy and no lag with UI animations (window resizing, dragging, etc) then I'm already excited for something that should be there already in the first place.

A system dark mode was a must. Not sure why it's so hard for them to put that in, it's not such a huge complicated thing to do.

Oh and just because a OS is good doesn't mean it should just stay that way forever and not innovate with new things and new UI features.

Agree that High Sierra is about refinements but imo at least system dark mode was really something people asked for a while.

Reactions: nortonandreev

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
i hope it is actually refined and 'works'. I miss that about mac. since snow leopard pretty much most mac os have come closer to windows; thoug still they are far better in terms of 'working'. my personal pedestal is now leopard.

Reactions: leventozler

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
This isn't anything new:

Leopard->Snow Leopard
Lion->Mountain Lion->Mavericks (this took two generations to get stable b/c Lion was such a mess)
Yosemite->El Capitan
Sierra->High Sierra

Snow Leopard is always the one mentioned simply because it had a long life cycle and was VERY refined. People forget the first several versions were very unstable like most other releases, but overall it was the best version of OS X for its time.
So what comes next?
Mammoth>Mammoth Lakes?

Reactions: mikecwest

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I am not really in a rush to try this out in beta like I was with Sierra. Even in its final form, I am going to wait it out a bit until at least 10.13.1. Compatibility is a big issue for me and I wondering if older apps like my Adobe CS6 will continue to work under APFS. If they don't, then, I hope APFS is optional or I will just leave this machine at Sierra as long as I can.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Is it only me or Files app in iOS is more advanced & streamlined than Finder? We asked for Finder for iOS, now we might ask for Files for Mac. :confused:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
A system dark mode was a must. Not sure why it's so hard for them to put that in, it's not such a huge complicated thing to do.
Obviously it IS a huge complicated thing to do. Heck, even a dark menu bar caused complication as third party menu icons were designed for a light background. Multiply that by tens of thousands of UI elements and it's obviously not a trivial task.

Sappharad

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
I think he's referring to a system-wide dark mode, not just for the menu bar and Dock or certain apps. Developers would of course need to support this in their apps, and I pretty much gave up hope and stopped expecting it with this release.
It has actually been possible for developers to support dark mode in apps since it was added in 10.10. The setting is documented and exposed, primarily because of menu bar icons that have to be adjusted for it. There are also dark versions of controls that have been around since then, but they're only used on dark colored vibrancy layers by default. (the blurred transparent areas)

It's fairly straightforward to switch an entire window to be dark. A developer just has to cheat and make the window's main layer an ultra dark vibrancy layer and then all of the controls inside will be the dark versions. This isn't really an optimal or reccomended approach because then the OS has to blend the entire window which wastes GPU power, but it seems to perform just fine for most cases. I did this for an update to an application recently and it was good enough for that scenario.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
They tried to be like a Leopard > Snow Leopard.

I am thinking exactly the same thing. If they really do that. I will be extremely happy and may stick to High Sierra for a while.

IMO, Snow Leopard is the last truly stable OSX. If not because I need new OS (e.g. For my GPU), I may actually stick to 10.6.8.

If Apple build a truly stable, very problem free MacOS this time. I will be more than happy to stick with it.

TBH, most new feature are not important to me anyway. I don't mind to have universal clipboard (if it work), or Handoff (if it work). But I don't really need them from day to day.

If high Sierra can keep all Sierra's features, but much more stable. e.g. No memory leak in iTunes. No strange UI issue(more point to poor GPU driver). No more iCloud issues that required frequent sign out / sign in… I will say that's already a very good OS.

APFS of course is a plus (if it work as good as on the iDevice).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
They did a lot behind-the-scenes refinements. Already rewriting the Window Server to take advantage of Metal is a major undertaking. User-visible changes are very slim. Its a shame, as some system apps could use an update.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i'm happy in sierra, and if high sierra is going to improve things under the hood, then... it's a great update. i want my mac to support my apps (including, of course, apple apps), not show itself off. am looking forward to the first public beta...

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
It’s only you. iOS Files is missing a lot of things that macOS Finder has.
Genuinely asking, as I'm not a developer and I didn't install iOS 11 in any of my devices, beside multi-tabs and better zip support, what does Finder now offer than Files doesn't?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Nobody seems to know what happens when you do the conversion. I am really anxious to know whether Apple finally makes the switch to case-sensitivity.

It is case insensitive to maintain compatibility. The conversion is "silent" and happens as part of the install. While the conversion is smooth it does a nasty number with backup utilities. Also, at the moment, conversion is only offered for SSD Macs, not HDD or Fusion (although the instructions are somewhat unclear).

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Genuinely asking, as I'm not a developer and I didn't install iOS 11 in any of my devices, beside multi-tabs and better zip support, what does Finder now offer than Files doesn't?
The ability to arrange files by type, application, kind; more view options; changing the icon size; changing grid spacing; customize the toolbar; use network drive (app support may change that); Open to toggle ‘show all filename extensions’; time machine’s versions; change folder icons; file permissions; access to system files (you definitely wouldn’t want that available on iOS) etc.

Reactions: iDento

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
lol what a complete joke. what is this "update"? I'd be ashamed to go up on stage and pitch this thinly-veiled point update.

there's not a single new feature announced that isn't very trivial (APFS is already available and has been available for some time).

no dark mode is total kick in the nuts.
And you don't consider dark mode window dressing? On the one hand, you complain about eye candy and under the hood improvements, while complaining about not having the eye candy you want.

Are you wanting to Apple to reinvent the wheel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.