High Speed Internet Very Slow......

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trevpimp, May 5, 2009.

1. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Hey I am using Windows right now. I never realized this but my download speed is supposed to be 768 Kbps. Though when I download something my speed is between 70 - 90 Kbps. Is this normal? I ran many virus scans and I am clean.

Is there something that is slowing it down? I am also using wireless connection.

Heres the link to my plan:
    http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10934

Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

How are you measuring your speed?

Are you sure you aren't seeing 70-90kB/s? AT&T quotes bits per second. If you're using Activity Monitor, that shows bytes per second.

edit:
    The 768kbps also doesn't take into account overhead (roughly 10-13%). So, you divide by 8 (to get bytes) then take that overhead figure off. That comes out to: 83.53kBps

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You are confusing kilobits and kilobytes. When AT&T says 768kbps, they are saying kiloBITS. When you download something, its usually read in KiloBYTES. To convert, just divide the number by 8 (there are 8 bits in a byte). So in your case, 768 / 8 = 96. Thats the maximum your DSL line supports for download in kiloBYTES, with about 5% chopped off for overhead. In other words, your connection is fine.

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

70-90 KB/sec = 768 kbits/sec

6. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Ok thanks y'all

Finally understand how this works :eek:

7. tdgrn macrumors 6502

If you are using wireless you might also want to think about using Open DNS or some other Domain Name Server besides the standard that ATT gives you. In my experience, the ones that are pre-configured suck, and I noticed a big difference once I started using Open DNS.