High Street Stores selling Unlocked iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr-Stabby, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I live in a place where Apple doesn't allow iPhones to be sold, but there's a genuine demand here. It seems as though that demand has been met.

A couple of the main shops here are selling unlocked iPhones, and not in the backroom either, in the front window with big signs etc.

I thought maybe they'd somehow done a deal with Apple, because the shops were even offering them on contracts and would part exchange your old phone etc etc just like proper phones, and are selling them for £230 which is around $450.

But no, the phones are unlocked with ZiPhone, have the Installer.app on them and everything.

Surely if Apple found out they'd be up sh*t creak? Such small shops would probably have to shut down surely?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Where is this?

There are so many targets I doubt it. But it depends on which country this is happening in.

3. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

If it's places like CEX then they can't do squat, they're only the middle man.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's not illegal. No one cares what business contract Apple has with other companies.

One fifth to one quarter or more of iPhone sales are to people / stores who unlock them.

Without all these grey market sales, Apple would not be meeting its stated sales goals.

Apple needs these sales. That's why many of their stores reportedly ignore the policy against buyers getting large numbers at one time to ship overseas.