Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Has anyone had any luck with what's happening? I got my MBP 14 M1 Pro back at the end of April and was playing Sims 4 for hours on end with no issues. About a week or two ago I started experiencing a black screen (with the sound of the game still running including input sounds, so the screen turned off but the game kept going as usual). Did some reading and research and realized the temps are way too high. I'm hovering between 45-60 C doing light loads like web surfing, during my game I hover around 70-85 C, but I notice when the screen goes black the system hits 95 C with still no fans and I have to force shut down and let it cool down for 30 seconds, at which at start up its back to 45-50 C.

If the fans kick in, they kick in at about 85 C, and only at about 10-15%. If I manually kick them up to 25-30% that temp drops to a cool 60-65 C during the game. BUT I noticed the fans would go in and out after a few minutes, almost as if they lost power for a few seconds and then come back on.

Unfortunately I don't have any temp or fan data from before the update since these issues didn't exist, but hopefully someone figures this out, or else I threw money away since my 2015 MBP handled this game no issues.
What app are you using to control the fans?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.