All iPads Higher PPI = Better Display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TJ5921, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TJ5921 macrumors regular

Mini w/ retina has a higher PPI than Air. This means it has a higher quality screen. Therefore my decision has been made for me - Mini w/ retina.
    Discuss.

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Nothing to discuss. Everyone's needs are different.

Get whatever device that suits you best. Not which device other people tell you to get.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If the Air is retina and you can't see the pixels, what exactly are you expecting to see (or not see)? There's a point where pixel density becomes moot. I would not equate pixel density with quality necessarily. Other factors also come into play, but at that high of a PPI, I think you will be hard pressed to tell the difference, only when you have to pinch and zoom out on the mini more often because the screen is so much smaller...

4. MacBird macrumors 6502

If you look at relatively small pictures (let's say 800 px on the longest side) in landscape mode, they are less sharp than in portrait mode with all current retina iPads. The higher pixel density of the retina iPad Mini might help with that.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I understand some people have super human eyesight, I get it. But the whole point of retina is that you can't distinguish the individual pixels. So for most normal carbon based life forms, there will be no difference.

For some posters here, the iPad 3/4/5 Retina is garbage and only a higher density display will do. I see the whole gamut argument coming on in 5... 4.... 3.... 2....

6. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

the new nexus 5 has a high PPI but if you look at the reviews they all say its somewhat washed out. Until we see the retina mini, we won't be able to tell how the 2 stack up in terms of quality.

7. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

If you can see the difference than bionic roams your genes.

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Comparing PPI in screens is like comparing pixel counts in digital cameras. Quality of screen can't be measured with just density. Color gamut and contrast were my beefs with the iPad Mini display, not the resolution.

Clint

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

PPI is a good starting point but its asinine to judge an unreleased device by that one metric.

10. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

This is like saying one camera is better than another by simply referring to its pixel count, when anyone who understands the technology will tell you there's much more too it than simply measuring megapixels, or in this case PPI.

When it boils down to it we simply don't know for certain how good the Retina Minis screen will be until it's released.

Colour accuracy, RGB gamut etc are just as important to the quality of a screen, for example, the Google Nexus 10 has a higher ppi than the Air but is poorly calibrated and has inferior colour accuracy.

I'm sure most would prefer a near studio reference quality screen to a one with higher PPI if the choices were properly explained to them. Unfortunately though most current tech manufacturers seem to have clung onto PPI as a way to sell their screens to the general public.

If you're dead set on getting a Retina Mini because of the screen alone I'd recommend reading Annandtechs iPad reviews, they always do a thorough analysis of the screens

11. rovex macrumors 65816

In terms of text, I just held the iPhone and Air right up close zooming into the same words of the same email and the difference is nul. My eyes are very good btw.

That's beyond the fact most folks hold their iPads further away than their phone. In fact, given the difference in pixel density Im surprised so up close I was not able to set them apart.

12. Aetherhole macrumors member

I absolutely agree with this and reiterate this. There are many factors that make a "better" screen.

Higher PPI makes a "sharper" display, but sharper doesn't automatically mean the display is better.

Anandtech's reviews are fantastic because Anand takes into consideration accuracy, minimum luminance level, peak brightness, greyscale, etc. of the display.

I can say for certain that I can see pretty easily see pixel structure still even on the iPad Air, at close proximity. I have a hard time seeing it on the 320-ish PPI, like the iPhone 4 through 5s/c have and retina iPad Mini will have. Though, I can make out pixel structure still.

It's gotten to the point with phones the HTC One 470ppi that I cannot see pixel structure, no matter the distance. If only the accuracy of the display was on par with the iPad Air, though I still love my HTC One.

Still I would take the iPad's display over the HTC One, or even my (formerly owned) Nexus 7 FHD.

13. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I'll take the airs screen size. Already have a 5" phone with 100+ PPI over iPad mini retina.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Is there somewhere I can read up on this? Is it app specific, as in only in the photos app? Or is it all apps? Seems odd to me that image rendering based on orientation would be identical in all apps

15. MrDom74 macrumors newbie

Hope the panel on the iPad Mini Retina is more like the one in the iPhone 5s and less like the inferior and dull panel in the iPad Air...

16. kalt macrumors regular

Same exact pixel density as the iPhone 5S.

It surprises me that apple doesn't keep the same pixel density for the big ipad. I'm holding out for a retina mini.

Though I must admit it's hard to see any real difference in image quality/definition between my ipad 4 and my iphone 5s. There comes a point where you just can't make a distinction.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

And just how would Apple do this without introducing a new pixel matrix resolution and not screwing up all existing apps?

The PPI is dependent on screen size. The resolution (pixel matrix) is not.

A 20" 1080p HDTV and a 75" 1080p HDTV have the same resolution but very different PPI measurements. The maker of the 75" TV can't just make it the same PPI as the 20" because they feel like it.

18. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Bingo

----

It's very silly imo to decide to purchase the mini over the Air because of a higher PPI, that isn't even noticeable. I'm imaging how asinine a person would sound saying they prefer to buy a smaller TV because the PPI is higher. Nobody even knows what the PPI is on their TV, but a larger TV will have far lower PPI than a small one, and people don't seem to mind.

19. mikew3 macrumors member

that's not what it means at all

20. TJ5921 thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently some people just can't admit it gives mini the edge over air spec-wise.

21. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Screen size isn't a spec?

Also, who cares? They're the same effing device.

22. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

On my Air at normal distance, I can't distinguish the pixels, looks the same as the iPhone 5/5s screen. So I don't see what the big deal is.

23. Conan86 macrumors 6502

PPI != screen quality
    PPI == sharpness

Screen quality and technology has a lot more than just PPI

24. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

If you look at in an overly simplified way, then yes, I suppose you're right on paper. I just think it's a shame that people supposedly tech savvy fall for the same marketing mambo jumbo time again again, whether it's Megapixels, PPI, CPU cores etc etc. in this case it only gives the Mini a higher spec due to being miniaturised, it's only an advantage if you want a smaller device.

As I said earlier though, we don't know it's actually a better screen until we get our hands on one. For all we know the Retina Minis screen may just be a higher res version of the first Mini screen with its poor contrast, gamut etc rather than a miniaturised Air screen.

25. mikew3, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

mikew3 macrumors member

you sir are clueless

what is it with this forum full of idiots? and then you have 20 posters coming in explaining to the original poster why he is an idiot, and he still chooses to remain stupid instead of learning

dont feel bad. you are not alone. must be common around here. then again, apple doesn't exactly target the smartest of the bunch, but rather markets its products towards the mass consumer who doesnt even understand what PPI means but rather is simply impressed by keynote speeches and commercials and metal casing. so i guess its to be expected