Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aralon2.jpg
Sister site TouchArcade.com is offering a new promotion called "Free Play" in which they work with developers to offer highly rated games for free. The first offering is a role-playing game called Aralon.
Aralon features over 30 hours of gameplay, and an incredibly depth character creation system complete with multiple races and classes- Each with their own unique skill trees. Accompanying the main story quest is tons of optional side quests to complete, hundreds of items to acquire, faction systems, crafting systems, and mounts ranging from basic horses to epic dragons.
Aralon first came out in 2010 and received a 5 star review at the time. Aralon was originally priced at $6.99 and has seen price fluctuations since its release, but has never been free before. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Highly Rated iOS Role-Playing Game 'Aralon' is Free for Limited Time

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Might be worth a try...unless it's a trap: have to "buy" the good stuff otherwise you'll never be able to really enjoy the game.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Might be worth a try...unless it's a trap: have to "buy" the good stuff otherwise you'll never be able to really enjoy the game.

nah, not a trap
http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/12/introducing-toucharcade-free-play-get-amazing-games-for-free/

Additionally, they are all going to be real games, as they were originally meant to be played- Not games that are promoted as free as part of a stealth update implementing loads of IAP and in essence turning it into a free to play game in the process.

this one does have iap, but seems more of a "cheat" than actually needed to enjoy the game as intended.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
nah, not a trap
http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/12/introducing-toucharcade-free-play-get-amazing-games-for-free/

Additionally, they are all going to be real games, as they were originally meant to be played- Not games that are promoted as free as part of a stealth update implementing loads of IAP and in essence turning it into a free pay to play game in the process.
this one does have iap, but seems more of a "cheat" than actually needed to enjoy the game as intended.

Cool, promos like this one and Apple's Free App of the Week are good, in my personal opinion.

Also, should it be "pay to play" in the quote above?

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
I'm very excited to see that this is free. I almost paid $6.99 for it on Monday, but I got sidetracked. Can't wait to try it out. :cool:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Great, another thing that won't work on my first generation iPod touch...

"Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later"

:eek:

Downloading right now! :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm very excited to see that this is free. I almost paid $6.99 for it on Monday, but I got sidetracked. Can't wait to try it out. :cool:

Same for me, if by Monday you mean the day Touch Arcade covered it in 2010.

Edit: whoops, nope, it was reviewed on a Wednesday.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
No iPhone 5 support... no download.

What do you mean, no iPhone 5 support? Works fine on mine. If you mean it doesn't take advantage of the bigger screen, then that's nothing to do with support. And why is a game that's perfectly good on an iPhone 4S suddenly not even worth a free download on iPhone 5?
It's like refusing to watch a classic movie that's been given you for free just because it doesn't fill the screen on your new widescreen TV

I don't get the logic, seems like your loss to me.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
What do you mean, no iPhone 5 support? Works fine on mine. If you mean it doesn't take advantage of the bigger screen, then that's nothing to do with support. And why is a game that's perfectly good on an iPhone 4S suddenly not even worth a free download on iPhone 5?
It's like refusing to watch a classic movie that's been given you for free just because it doesn't fill the screen on your new widescreen TV

I don't get the logic, seems like your loss to me.

Not to mention it also supports iPad and iPhone.

Downloading now!

apposphere

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
hi

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Sister site TouchArcade.com is offering a new promotion called "Free Play" in which they work with developers to offer highly rated games for free. The first offering is a role-playing game called Aralon.Aralon first came out in 2010 and received a 5 star review at the time. Aralon was originally priced at $6.99 and has seen price fluctuations since its release, but has never been free before. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Highly Rated iOS Role-Playing Game 'Aralon' is Free for Limited Time

I'm really so happy about this, the more people that know about this game the better. I hope this means a sequel is in the works and coming soon.

By the way this is my first post here hello everyone. I also talked about this game and gave an alert that it was going free on my YouTube channel it's a new one please check it out.

http://youtu.be/N4UU28qaEU8

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
OK. I'm completely hooked. I downloaded Aralon after this announcement. Fortunately, my semester ended because playing this game is about all I've been doing. How fun!

Some friends have recommended Skyrim, but I don't currently have a method of playing it (no XBOX 360, no windows).

I don't even really have experience with RPGs of any kind. I played Zelda: Twilight Princess for gamecube way back when. This is reminiscent in some ways. No platforming or puzzling though in Aralon.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Now that I've finished playing through it…

who can recommend something similar to Aralon?

Adventure RPG, 3rd person?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.