Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you keep your iPhone in a case?

• Yes.

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No.

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • I don't understand the question.

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
"Ugh look at that pathetic little protector. Why dont you walk around with a helmet on too? You should have a big styrofoam helmet." -J. Seinfeld

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I voted "I don't understand the question" - its about 75% naked, 25% in a case. I have two cases for each of my phones (Nexus 5 and iPhone 5S) that I switch around when I need a case (i.e. out on the golf course, traveling etc).

Normal everyday use is naked though.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I voted "I don't understand the question" - its about 75% naked, 25% in a case. I have two cases for each of my phones (Nexus 5 and iPhone 5S) that I switch around when I need a case (i.e. out on the golf course, traveling etc).

Normal everyday use is naked though.

So you understand the question but cant vote because there are not enough options? :D:D

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
All the time. I use a Mophie when I'm going to be out for a while, an Uncommon Safety Waterproof case when at the beach, and any one of a ridiculous number of other cases the rest of the time (Casetagram, Speck, Disney, Elago, et. al.)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Belkin Grip Candy Sheer for my iPhone 5. Nice little TPU case. Used to use an Otterbox when I first got it, but didn't like the bulk, the raised edge around the display, and the fact that trying to plug it in to charge scratched the chamfered edge on the bottom of my phone. The Belkin case also lets you see the details on the back of the phone rather than hiding them.

Using a case gives me piece of mind since I have butter fingers and keep my phones for at least two years. I used a silicon case with the blackberry I had before my iPhone. Even with that case, one good drop caused the camera to stop working.

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Do you keep your iPhone in a case? Silicone, leather, sock, any case?

I keep mine in a Neo Hybrid case. That thing is gorgeous. And, since I'm both a student and upgraded from a 4S to a 5S (the latter of which has a more scratch-prone screen), I use a tempered glass screen protector. So, it's about the same thickness as the 4S again I suppose ;D

The screen protector thing is one of the reasons I'm quite excited to see whether the next iPhone has any cool sapphire to fight scratching.

I keep mine in this case

But... how did you take that photo of your case.... without your phone!?!?!

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I have a gold 5S hate to cover the phone but also want some coverage from occasional drop on floor or asphalt when on my lap and get out of car happens once a week lol. I have a clear luvvitt case very minimal but does protect.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
Turns out my phone has been affected by the battery defect, so I have kept it in a Mophie Juice Pack Air 24/7. The battery life of the phone lasts about 1-2 hours but only takes about 20-30 minutes to charge, and the Mophie can recharge it multiple times. Real lifesaver.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I bought the official apple black leather case for the 5S when it was released later year. It's superb...slim, luxurious, and worth the cost. I am hoping they make another version this year for the six. If not, I might put an invisible shield on the back of it to give it more traction and go naked.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, I used to, but I don't like how bulky the phone becomes. Mine has had three accidents. It was resting on my jacket and I forget when I grabbed it in a hurry and my phone flew into my entertainment center and the case (A really thin one) broke. Once in the rain I was rushing and it fell out of my pocket and cracked the same brand of thin case. The third time it fell out of my pocket about 3 feet and was fine (no case).

That was all about 2 years ago and I haven't had an accident since. I see all these drop tests where iPhone survive perfectly (I don't fully believe that because I've seen to many cracked screens in real life). I decided to try going "nude" and liked it. I alway by AC+ so if I do make a mistake it's covered, but I just try and be careful. I never put it in my lap. It always sits on a towel on my desk and I've been fine. All these cases seem like so much work, plus, on my old iPod Touch 4g, some dust got between the case and the device and scratched it so I decided to just be careful and not worry about it.

Same with screen protectors. They all got dirty at the edge so I took that off too and have been fine for 3 years.

----------

I keep mine in this case

Is it the light or is your Apple logo scratched/smudged?

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Mostly naked until a week or so ago. I managed to dent my 5s, so I started using a tech 21 impact flip case for protection. That lasted 3 days and I got sick of it, so now I've gone back to the official apple case, not for protection, but because it looks really good.

If iphone 6 is as thin as the leaks seem to show, I can't see myself using a case on it. Any case thin enough to maintain its design will offer zero protection and be pointless anyway.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's very rare that I see a caseless (naked) smartphone.

I use a very thin, inexpensive, clear case on mine. Just enough to offer some basic protection. It seems a shame to me to cover up a nice looking phone with anything but a clear case, or to add bulk to it. I also don't use screen protectors. Prior to getting my 5s, my 3Gs was caseless.

Agreed. Maybe one out of 10 are naked from what I see. I only use an ultra thin Sedio Surface shell on mine for the grip it gives and being able to lay it anywhere without worry

----------

Nude is the way to go! Until you realise there are scratches and dents... :(

Then it is a little too late.:confused:

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Yes. I'm a little OC about keeping my phones in top notch shape. Really helps with resale value too. And I've been known to have the occasional case of the dropsies as well.

Audiotic

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Always! Once dropped it, case ensured no damage. Also very stylish: TwelveSouth BookBook. I'm not the only one to love it.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
No. I keep my apple devices naked, because that's how the came out of the box.

Especially those ugly, bulky, nasty looking otter box cases.
That's definitely abuse to the phone and I do not condone it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.