HighPoint RocketRAID 4310 & Mac Pro -- EFI not working?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by StanD, Jun 16, 2009.

1. StanD macrumors member

Hey folks,

Figured I would cross-post this mail I sent to the HighPoint support folks in the off chance that someone here (Hi nano!) can help me sort this out.

I recently purchased the RocketRAID 4310 with the hopes of using it to replace my pain in the ass CalDigit. Read below for what a "good time" this has turned into.

If anyone can help out here, that would be great!

- Stan

2. StanD thread starter macrumors member

Figured I would follow-up my own post so someday someone using MRoogle can find the solution.

Solution:

They had the wrong EFI firmware posted all over the place. I was provided with a new 20090617 EFI firmware which is working wonderfully.

What's more, the same 4x Velociraptors I use for scratch went from ~400MB/s with the Caldigit to over 500MB/s with this card. Got to love it...

- Stan

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sorry, I didn't catch the thread when you originally posted. :eek:

I'm glad you got it sorted, and the speeds are better than what you had (cough, cough,..CalDigit is junk...cough, cough..). ;) :D :p

4. MacUserPeggy macrumors newbie

Hello friend,
    I think you should download the latest EFI for RR4310 and try again.
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_rr4310.htm the file name is RR4310-EFI-090122.zip

" First, you must boot Mac OS from Raid adapter--
    1. Prepare 3 files:(1)Carbon Copy Cloner(http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html)(2)EFI BIOS&driver for Mac OS(from Highpoint website-Technical support)
    2. Install Mac OS X on hard disk which connected to Mac Pro internal SATA HD
    3. Install Adapter Driver for Mac OS&restart
    4. Open Web gui and create an array, open Disk Utility&partition array disk
    5. Install Carbon Copy Cloner&open it--select Source disk(internal SATA HD)&Target Disk(Raid card)--click"Clone"
    6. Flash EFI BIOS:Open terminal input command--enter command--$ hptflash rr4322-efi.blf
    7. Open "System Preferences", click "Startup Disk", select startup disk on Raid card&restart
    Second: If first step successfully, please remove all disks from apple internal SATA& prepare to install Windows Vista
    1.Bootup MacOS from our array.
    2.Update BIOS to standard pc BIOS.(Open terminal input command to flash--enter command--$ hptflash 4310bios.blf)
    3.Run Boot Camp Assistant, create BootCamp partition on array, Insert vista CD, reboot
    4.Install vista to bootcamp partition!Windows driver in USB or CD is needed when install vista&Bootcamp partition must be formated when in installing.
    5.After install finished:*If you using EFI BIOS, you can only start MacOS system in array but if you
    using standard pc BIOS, you can only start Win system in array. "

Good luck!!

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

He got it sorted. See post #2. ;)

6. StanD thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

nano got it exactly :) As well that post looks like what the HPT support folks gave me. MacUserPeggy, are you from HPT support?

As well, FYI they did give me a newer EFI BIOS dated 0617, so you might want to update your web page :)

- Stan

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is what I'm wondering. :confused: ;) :p

Either way, it's nice she posted, as it may still help other members. :)

8. noushy macrumors regular

HPT 43xx cards

All of these cards should work fine in a 2008 or 2009 Mac Pro. Glad to see you got it sorted out. The performance is fantastic, I love my 4322. It works as promised and no headache. I have been battling the apple raid card for 2 weeks and looks like I might be returning it. I am assuming the 4310 is a single channel miniSAS internal plug supporting 4 drives? The 43x2 usually refer to external connectors. Let me know what you think, it would be nice to ditch the apple card and used the maxupgrades adapter with your card.

Peace,
    Noushy

9. aliot macrumors member

oh,I think I have the some problem.
    Can anyone send me a copy for efi for rr4310?:D

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yep. :D

Have you sent off an email requesting it?

Highpoint's pulled the listing off the site, and I even tried manually (educated guess as to the actual path of the file = No Go). I don't know if this is an error, or if they discovered an issue with the EFI portion.

11. aliot macrumors member

Ya,sent a mail yesterday.i thing 43xx serise are base on similar design,if I could boot form a hybrid card then internal card just a hybrid card without external port,they even share a same driver.I don't understand why 35xx can do that but 43xx don't.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think the ROM size might have to do with it. They may have had to write the port data for each card, as there's not enough room for a self detection method (this may have exceeded what would fit the ROM).

13. aliot macrumors member

Really annoying now.Every thing is ready,a new leopard installed on my fifth internal HDD,Once I got the efi I can duplicate the system to the raid set,but I have no idea when they will give me the efi.:(

14. mikecentola macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm having the exact same problem right now. I have a 300gb Velociraptor and 3x750GB drives that I want to put on the 4310. I want to but off the raptor as a single drive, and create a raid5 array with the other three.

I installed snow leopard on the raptor with it still connected to the logic board. Then I put the 4310 card in, and installed the drivers. It seemed to work ok, until I installed the EFI which I downloaded from their site. It was the 4311 one but I tried it anyways. It caused the computer to hang for a very long time while booting up, and it caused the system not to even recognize the card at all. Even before I flashed the firmware, the card only showed up under PCI cards in System Profiler.

So I put the card in a PC of mine and reflashed it with new BIOS code. I flashed the BIOS, the Boot Loader, and something else, but didn't flash the SAS code or whatever.

Anyways, I sent Highpoint an email through their website, but does anyone have the EFI firmware that I can put on this card? I need to be able to boot the raptor which will be on the card. If I cant get this to work, I'll probably return it to newegg, and get the Areca 1212 raid card.

Thanks in advance!

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

You'll have to wait for Highpoint's response. Their support site is a mess, and the versions tend to be the wrong ones for your card or not visible. The wrong ones get used, and the card essentially bricks until it's flashed with the correct firmware.

That said, the RR4310 is actually designed and manufactured by Areca (based off of the 1680 series). It's almost identical to the ARC-1212 (some feature differences, such as no SAS expander support on this Areca model, while the RR4310 does. Areca reserves the SAS expander capability to the 1680 series.

So the email response should be faster and easier than dealing with RMA's and a new order (shipping).

16. mikecentola macrumors newbie

Yeah I know... I was hoping someone on here already had the correct Firmware for it. Just put the card back into my Mac and now System Profiler shows it as Driver Installed, but I still can't access the inband management. I hope the EFI firmware fixes this. :(

17. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

And I was wondering why I was having no joy with my Highpoint 2642 card. Pretty amazing how bad the products are supported.

18. mikecentola macrumors newbie

I reinstalled the WebGUI software and I was able to access the card. Seems to be ok right now.

One REALLY weird thing is that I hooked up my MaxUpgrades cable, and put my raptor on the raid card. Booted the Snow Leopard DVD and tried to install. It saw the card, and the drive, so I installed it on there, but it DIDN'T DO A THING. It still took like 30 mins to install, but did nothing. No data change whatsoever on the drive LOL.

I guess I'm stuck waiting until tomorrow to hear from their support. I know I'll be calling them first thing in the morning. Sucks that I have to wait until noon EST to get a hold of them :(

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, their site has been messed up on the support side for quite some time. Prior to the RR43xx model release for sure, as it comes up from time to time on MR (those looking for help or posting what they ran into with Highpoint cards). :(

You still have it? And can you actually do anything with it?

The device ID changed, so it was needed (the firmware tends to be specific, even for cards in the same family). You'll likely have to do it again as well after installing the correct firmware when Highpoint gets you the link.

I'm not sure what you did exactly, but it acts like the firmware is still BIOS boot, not EFI.

You should be able to get it sorted though. Good luck. :)

20. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

No, I have long returned it for a refund.

21. mikecentola macrumors newbie

Yeah It's got the BIOS back on it since I did that when I stuck it in a PC to make sure it worked.

I'll probably just fresh install SL when I get the EFI on the card. At least I can be happy when my 128GB SSD comes on tuesday for my MBP hehe. I'll post back here when I get it all sorted. Thanks!

22. mikecentola macrumors newbie

I'm on the phone with HPT now waiting for a support person. The lady who first answered the phone said they don't have an EFI for the 4310, and they don't recommend it in Mac Pro's.... LOL nice.

This will be the last time I buy a highpoint card again.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yet they created a specialized Mac site, and the RR43xx models are featured prominently on it. :rolleyes:

There's also a few members here who have it, and haven't had issues with it once the firmware was flashed to EFI (with the card; OS updates can still "break" the system). The same goes for the Areca cards that support EFI boot capability. So she's full of it. :D :p

Just getting the firmware seems to be the hard part. :rolleyes: :(

24. StanD thread starter macrumors member

Long live old posts! :)

I can send you the Snow Leopard compatible EFI and WebGUI that I've been using without a single issue. Send me a PM.

nano, if you'd like a copy to put it somewhere accessible to everyone just let me know!

I find the card 110% solid, you just need to unfortunately learn their ticketing system and work it that way.

- Stan

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

Glad you got it sorted. :D

You can send me a PM or email if you wish (not a bad idea to have multiple copies around, just in case of deletion, inavailiblity of a member,...). I just don't have a site up to keep it there permanently. I'd just email or upload to a free download site as it's requested.

Which you could do as well, if you're feeling generous with your time. :D :p