Hissing iPhone 7 Replacement Joy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shez, Oct 12, 2016.

1. shez macrumors member

shez

Hey

Received my iPhone 7+ and everything works fine but it's hissing. I don't mind the hissing but when I'm recording video the hissing takes over the audio 80% - which renders the video recording function of the device useless.

Apple are now sending me a replacement out and I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with replacement devices?

Thanks

2. Danjrel macrumors regular

That's just a new feature.

3. shez thread starter macrumors member

shez

Hopefully not.

4. Zalewskon macrumors newbie

Zalewskon

Hi, I have the same problem with my iPhone 7. Its quiet normally and then when I start recording the video there comes the noise. I might be wrong but its camera, near camera there is a back microphone placed and that microphone records the noise of camera. If I put my finger on that microphone to cover it up, the noise is not recorded anymore. To test it I recorded another video with snapchat. Snapchat uses front microphone even when recording with the back camera. So the video and sound recorded via snapchat is perfect, but its not a solution for me. Not for the price of iphone 7...

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

This is not hissing. That's just white noise from the camera mic. It's been said the mic is overly sensitive.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even with the replacements, I heard there is still a faint hissing in the background of video's. Appears there is no remedy as of yet.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Hiss-gate! Can you upload a recorded hiss for us to hear?

8. Danjrel macrumors regular

Maybe you need to buy the $80 hissgate dongle too!

9. Zalewskon macrumors newbie

Zalewskon

Are you saying that even if I got a new one iphone 7 after replacement under apple warranty there will still be a problem? Is it an issue with all of the iphones 7 for now?

10. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

My replacement hissed more.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2016 ---
    I ended up returning it and buying a new one. Finally have a perfect one.

11. Danjrel macrumors regular

It's a new feature. You need to pay more money to upgrade to a silent phone.

12. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

My friend bought a 7+ today and omg hissing like crazy... it was week 40 with 10.0.2 installed

13. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

No

14. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

I'm really leaning towards the gain is just turned up too high. My wife has a 6s+ and I recorded a video with the 2 phones at the same time, and while mine had a more pronounced hiss, it also picked up subtle sounds more so than hers did.

15. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Just realized mine has the sound as well. Took me a while to find it though. Not as prominent as others are probably.

16. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

17. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I noticed it when recording a video or playing a game and putting my ear up to the back of the phone near the apple logo.

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

This isn't a single problem, All the iphone 7/7+ have overly sensitive mics. Its how they were built. 100% of the display phones tested had it too.

The hissing though is a defect. Mine has no hissing.

19. fre3way macrumors member

Did you take the iphone to the genius bar or called apple directly? I am experiencing the same issue and want to swap it out for a replacement.

20. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I'm chatting with them right now working on getting a replacement mailed to me.

21. Sensamic macrumors 68030

22. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Who puts their phone up to their ear to hear something? I shot a video zooming in and out and had the flash on while listening to it. Replayed it and listened. nothing.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

My 7 Plus is distressingly silent as well. I'm not saying that folks aren't experiencing this problem, though.

24. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

It should *not* hiss, iPhones are utterly quiet.
    If it makes a sound that obviously shouldn't be there, use your warranty.

25. Zalewskon macrumors newbie

Zalewskon

Lucky you, Im not that sensitive guy complaining about anything. I had no problems with 5/6/6s. If the phone was only hissing I would accept that. But everytime that hissing noise is recorded on video and its really easy to hear. Ill upload some video later as I have no time to convert it. Standard format cannot be uploaded here :/
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    The case is not that simple if you buy an iphone from other electronics retailer than directly from apple. Ive already contacted with them. They said Ill get new one, but this will be a version w/o the box. Ofc I will have the box of my current device but it will have different serial numbers than my new replaced device. I dont like that idea.
    Full replacement can be made only if I bought it with shipment option. And unfortunatelly I hit this shop the first day iphone 7 was offered there.