Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I just noticed that when I place my ear up to my iphone 6 speaker, there is a clearly audible hissing noise (like a speaker that's powered on but not playing any sound). It is always there unless the phone is sleeping. I intially thought it might be from a streaming audio app being open, but I've closed everything and it is still there. It's not loud enough to hear from a distance, but definitely can hear up close. I never noticed it on my iPhone 5, but I'm gonna check tonight when I get home. Seems like it would be a battery drain. Does anyone else notice this?

[UPDATE] I think the noise comes when the speaker wakes up to make the lock sound and eventually stops. If I turn off the lock sounds, no more hiss.

Last edited:

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I just noticed that when I place my ear up to my iphone 6 speaker, there is a clearly audible hissing noise (like a speaker that's powered on but not playing any sound). It is always there unless the phone is sleeping. I intially thought it might be from a streaming audio app being open, but I've closed everything and it is still there. It's not loud enough to hear from a distance, but definitely can hear up close. I never noticed it on my iPhone 5, but I'm gonna check tonight when I get home. Seems like it would be a battery drain. Does anyone else notice this?

Could be a snake stuck in your speakers?

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
put your finger on the touchID while you listen to the hissing and see if you hear ticking too. be sure the screen is on and your finger is touching the sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.