Hitting up CL scalpers like...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iamcaseyf, Apr 29, 2015.

1. iamcaseyf macrumors member

iamcaseyf

Checking out AppleWatches on Craigslist locally here, and most want $800+ for a 42mm SS WSB..

I shoot them this message:
    'I’ll give you what you paid for the AppleWatch + AppleCare + $20 instead. You still come out ahead!"

They still come out ahead, right?! Scalpers are annoying me.

2. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

While I won't support scalpers myself, it's supply vs. demand, right? The value of any given thing is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If someone wants to pay 200% of retail to get it today, I suppose that's up to them. I don't agree with it but to each their own.

3. iamcaseyf thread starter macrumors member

iamcaseyf

true, I get that.

4. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

I'd be more worried about getting shot/killed/robbed/arrested than anything else, with CL.

#staysafe

5. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

I wouldn't feel bad at all if that's what happened to the scalper.

6. iamcaseyf thread starter macrumors member

iamcaseyf

haha, right? Always go packing to those meet ups. Ill just wait for Apple to ship mine, patiently :cool:

7. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

s'why I sold mine on Ebay. Didnt really mean too. I posted it with what I thought was an outragous price, but it sold in like 2 hours. Shoulda held out for more. (I didnt calculate ebay fees into it)
    But now Ill wait and get a SB Link braclet that Ill love a lot more.

8. LiemTa macrumors 6502

Who gives a **** about $20 profit?

9. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Funny. I posted my 38mm silver sport with blue band last night (since the space gray with black band I ordered on the 10th finally shipped) on eBay with a starting bid of $450. No one has even looked at it yet. Let alone bid.

10. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Aint worth waking up at 2:58am for $20 lol

11. iamcaseyf thread starter macrumors member

iamcaseyf

Guarenteed this guy on CL is one that ordered 5 of the same watch to do just this, while the rest of us have to wait. Sure, supply & demand means bankroll for scalpers who have no intention to use it, but it also means waiting MUCH longer for the rest of us who actually want to use one.

So yes, i'm willing to give him $20 for doing something that I did not do. It's like a fee for your time to wake up at 12am.

:cool:

12. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

I think it might be very wise to sell these now. I would do it if I needed the money and had the time. I just don't need the business presently, as i'm too busy. Also, I really don't feel like selling mine :D

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

If time is money, all the hours spent refreshing your order status and time spent posting here about the same thing would make $800 a pretty good deal.

14. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but that would depend on whether or not you are a pathetic slacker who is shurking needed work, to obsess over the stupid thing

15. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

You're doing it wrong.

Start the auction at $0.01 with a "Buy it now" price of "$whateveryouthinkyouwant" That thing would get bid on like crazy. Non-fiction.

16. rorystewart macrumors newbie

Unintentional scalper here: I ordered 3 watches at midnight entirely with the intention of canceling two of them after I had my try on appointment in the store. But after reading about the profits I decided to keep all the orders and post the two I didn't want on CL. I'm selling my first to arrive 42 SS BCB today for $1,150. Admit that is hard to pass up, as much as I feel for those of though who have delayed orders. :/

17. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

You need to start the auction at like $0.01 and BIN at $750. People will see a reasonable opportunity there and bid like nobody's business. Set a reserve price to reduce your risk (although that does tend to discourage bidders).

18. rorystewart macrumors newbie

Iamcasey, I received about 20 emails for it after I posted. About 5 of the 20 tried to low ball me like you, and I just ignored them and laughed. I can tell you you're wasting your time.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If they annoy avoid Craigs List.

Let the market do what the market does.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Yet the previous poster said he listed it for an 'outrageous' amount and his sold. Clearly he was doing it wrong.

No way am I starting the bidding at .01 and take a chance of giving it away. I'd return it first.

I haven't had any luck with reserve prices. Whenever I set one, no one bids.

21. noobinator macrumors 601

CL prices are crazy in my area.

Averaging about $700-$800 for the base sport models and $1100-$1200 for the base SS models.

22. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Scumbags

23. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

The other poster (forgive me for not checking), may have had a more lucrative watch model. 38 blue is pretty common and is only selling for about 475-550 on the Seattle CL.

Your other option is to open a seller account on Amazon and send it to them for fulfillment. I've had a lot more luck selling my used Apple stuff on Amazon than I have had on eBay or CL. Much cleaner fulfillment too.

24. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I'm not really in too much of a rush. My Space Gray sport with black band that I thought was arriving in mid May is being delivered today. I haven't decided which one I want to keep although I'm leaning towards the Space Gray.

25. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

My vote's for the SG. Has more of a sporty feel - enjoy your new watch!