HL2 crashes on startup with crossover

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Maxtherounder, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Maxtherounder macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just got half life 2 and episode 1 for steam to play using crossover..
    Now with some launch tweaks I can boot up episode one fine (-console,-novid,-window)

However, even with those and a few other launch options, half-life 2 crashes every start up... It goes to a white screen, and sometime will play a second of the intro vid (when I take "-novid" off) but will close out shortly after going to white.. Steam does not close out, just the game. I was wondering if anyone knew what to do in this situation...

My Mac Specs

mac pro
    2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    2 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 FB-DIMM

Thanks in advanced guys

Maxx

2. siorai macrumors 6502

Why not just use Bootcamp and run it natively in Windows? I understand the desire to avoid rebooting. I was in that camp for awhile too. Then I realized that all the time spent trying to tweak and screw around with something like Crossover was just wasted in comparison to rebooting once in awhile. Plus you obviously get better performance by playing in Windows as opposed to Bootcamp.

3. Maxtherounder thread starter macrumors newbie

Lots of money involved with that route, I already have crossover... thanks tho man, I'm gonna consider it.

Max

4. imassents macrumors 6502

5. eleven2brett macrumors regular

It really is worth it thought, especially if you plan on playing anything other than steam stuff and a few others.

6. jparshall macrumors newbie

Please post to our support folks

If you're having problems with HL2 under CrossOver, please feel to get ahold of our tech support folks. It should work fine, and certainly shouldn't crash on startup. We play it here all the time.

Best Wishes,

-jon parshall-
    COO
    www.codeweavers.com

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I second that suggestion.

8. masterchief442 macrumors newbie

my crossover doesn't work properly

i have downloaded the demo of crossover and the fist thing after i installed it was to try out my friends dawn of war dark crusade.

It work fine but when it goes up the the part i need to make a new character name, and you got to pass that to start playing.

but when i try to type in the box my keyboard doesn't work with it and the only keys that works are the return and esc keys. can anyone help me?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

2gb ram is pretty low for any system.

What version of crossover?

There is a specific version of crossover called crossover games.

Crossover doesn't work with all apps / games.

10. AppleWoW macrumors regular

AppleWoW

I have an answer for you let me boot up crossover and ill post it here in a few. :)

Edit: Try this out. Let me know if this doesn't help. When you get to steam right click on the game and you should see a button named properties. Click on this then go under set launch options. Under there put this in - the quotations "-dxlevel 81 -w 1280 -h 800"