Hmmm... return Mac mini to upgade to i7?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by eoren1, Jul 24, 2011.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

So I have the 2.5 GHz i5 Mini and had planned to upgrade RAM and add SSD. I'm now realizing that, bang for the buck, a dual core i7 likely would offer much more than adding an SSD (for Lightroom/Photoshop tasks). I bought the mini in an Apple store and, therefore, also payed $56 in taxes.

Wondering if:
    There is a restocking fee within the first 14 days
    If not, can I get the non-server Mini with an i7 anywhere that is tax-free
    If so, likely will get a 7200 RPM drive to clone the current one to and then swap that into the new Mini

Appreciate any advice
    E

2. Minicube macrumors regular

...as for tax free, depends on where you live. In CA we now have to pay tax on everything purchased anywhere.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Photoshop is debatable about the benefit of hyper threading. Some have found it to be faster with ht turned off. An SSD is probably the best upgrade you could do especially if your read/write the disk a lot.

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

no restocking if done in less then 14 days.

As to the better deal for your work hard to tell without actual tests.

5. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yah. Was hoping to find some geekbench results for the 5,2 as an i5 vs i7. The photoshop speed test would be an even better test.

6. japtor macrumors regular

Both those chips have hyper threading, the only difference between them is 200mhz (normal and at max turbo) and an extra MB of cache.

7. auero macrumors 65816

8. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all
    Did some more research on the two CPUs and there is likely to be no real world difference
    Will upgrade RAM
    Doubt I'll go for the SSD until LR/PS show clear advantages with it

9. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

SSD is the best upgrade you could do

10. KSpider macrumors regular

This is false. It is only for out of state online retailers that have a california affiliation. It is nowhere near the blanket statement you made.

11. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Somehow I doubt that. Most states require payment of state sales tax when buying online or via mail order, regardless of whether the item was purchased in-state or out of state.

12. japtor macrumors regular

You're supposed to pay a "use tax" for out of state stuff...most people just don't report it though.