hold at ups for pickup...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by claughery, Oct 12, 2011.

1. claughery macrumors newbie

Anyone ever hold a shipment at ups for pickup before the first delivery? my wife and i are leaving for a road trip on friday mid day and was wondering if i might have any luck picking the iPhone up at a ups facility. Thanks all!

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes, it's possible but you have to call them before the package is loaded on the truck for delivery and that happens very early in the morning.

3. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Apple requires the carrier to make one delivery attempt before the parcel can be held at the center for pickup. I don't like it either.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The best thing you can do is call your local facility and ask ...

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's It

They have to try once....Even if they know you aren't there. It's Apples policy....Mind you, I never heard of anybody's Apple stuff getting stolen so I guess they have a point.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It doesn't really matter what Apple's policy is ... UPS' policies are all that matter once it is in their hands. Apple is a customer of UPS, just like everyone else, and doesn't get to dictate how UPS does business anymore than I do when I ship something.

7. Julien, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple is most certainly NOT a customer just like me (or you). Also almost any compony/business gives preferential treatment/policy concessions to large value customers (does Donald Trump have to wait on a table like you?;)). Apple is a LARGE account to UPS so it can make request that you can't.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Exactly

UPS treat Apple as if they were God....What if they lost the contract?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple uses FedEx as well ...

Apple is not a god, they are a customer. Apple has very few options for shippers, UPS has a lot of customers.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am willing to bet that if Apple asks UPS to make a delivery attempt FIRST, UPS will comply. This is a general UPS policy anyway and I am betting Apple's wishes will be well respected.:p

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

All the more reason for UPS to compete by offering more custom service.:eek:

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Honestly, why does Apple care how UPS does its job?

Yes, UPS' policy is to attempt delivery first, but if you call, they might be willing to hold at the facility, if you manage to catch them before they get it on the truck.

Smaller facilities have a greater chance of being open to this. My local facility (Louisville), on the other hand, doesn't like holding for pickup at all, even after an attempt.

13. Theraker007 macrumors regular

...to apple.

14. TC25 macrumors 68020

My experience with FedEx and my iPad2.....

I printed out the Signature Waiver and was going to hang it on the front door on the morning of the day of expected delivery.

I was tracking it on the FedEx site the day before expected delivery and saw it was out for delivery! No one was home, signature waiver was not on the door. So, I watched the package status go from Out For Delivery to Delivery Failure - No One Home to sign. So, when I left work, I drove directly to the FedEx location, showed my driver's license and got my iPad.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

As others have said, they have to attempt delivery once before you can have them hold it at the UPS location. You can call your local facility and try to talk them into holding it for you, but chances are you'll get turned down. Then again, it doesn't hurt to try, right?

16. Dronomophone macrumors regular

Any guesses on how early one would have to call?

17. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Now would be good. If they need you to call back some other time, they'll tell you.

18. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

leaving mid-day? you might get it...

Straight from UPS'seses site. They're using Worldwide Express which follows the above guidelines on imports. My guess is UPS will stand by this delivery statement because the box doesn't say what's inside, just that it needs to get somewhere by 1030 or noon.

I already tried calling UPS, the dist center for my area is 5min from my work. They have to try to deliver once before they take it back. Although, the sender can change it so you pick it up at the center. If you're really bent on getting it from the center, try calling Apple and seeing if they can change the shipping info. Probably not though...

19. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Mine is Worldwide Express, as well. Under approximate delivery time, it lists end of day. If you click on Worldwide Express, it says delivery by 10:30 or noon. So there's conflicting information. My guess is that they'll go with the "end of day" estimate, but it's hard to tell. I can't imagine them delivering all those iPhones before noon.

20. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

My guess is end of day too.

On the whole "pickup-at-local" thing: UPS'eseses website clearly says the method of drop-off/pick-up can be changed, but only by the seller until an initial delivery attempt has been made. After that, the receiver can change it. Apple is technically the paying customer here and can refuse to change this. Maybe we should call Apple, not UPS?

Keep in mind that Apple/any sender is the only one that can change it prior to first-attempt due to security reasons. You don't want anyone with access to your info changing it and UPS probably doesn't want to hassle with identity confirmation. I personally think this is smart because if I want the shipping info changed, I want to be able to contact the seller so they know it's me changing the info. One measure of security I like, but that's me.

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Keep in mind that you still need a photo ID in order to pick up the package.

22. TraceyS/FL, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've successfully had packages changed to hold at station with UPS, but it took Amazon calling to do it. It was an insane amount of crap to pick up at the place too. Normally, at ours you can't pick it up the night of the failure, you have to wait until the next day - and ours doesn't open until 12!

If they relent to let you pick it up that night, don't be surprised if they tell you after 9pm either.

Really, having the UPS guy afraid to drive down your driveway means you experience more than you should know.

The only way you will know if to talk to your local station, and they make that phone number impossible to get.

Good luck!

ETA: I wanted to say that the switch to hold at station on my one package occurred after it had gotten on the truck, which was the one they were NOT going to let me pick up until the next day. It was over an hour on the phone with amazon, ups & the local depot for them to relent for me to be allowed to knock on the special door at 8pm (they originally stated only after 9pm).

My UPS guy now has my phone number so I can meet him around town to pick up anything. Which would be why my daughter's refrigerated meds aren't shipping from the specialty pharmacy that only uses UPS....

23. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Yup! But to change any part of the shipping (including address), the sender has to do it. UPS is just the middleman, and frankly, I think they do a good job of getting the phone from point A to your location. I prefer FedEx, personally, but UPS gets the job done when shippers use it.

It would be nice if Apple listened to their true customer (us) and would change it to pickup@local if we call and ask though. Especially since modifying the address when you're putting in all of your personal info and your dang credit card shouldn't be that hard...:rolleyes:

24. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

All of this could have been avoided if Apple would have allowed in-store pickup of reserved iPhones.

Home delivery is just a pain in the ass when you work a 9-5.

25. Weirik macrumors member

My Choice is How...

You guys are all partially correct.

Regularly UPS needs to make at least one attempt before they can hold it for you.

However, there is now a new option called UPS My Choice which allows you to have it held for pickup prior to the delivery attempt. Once you register for My Choice, it takes 90 minutes for your account to update and then you can request these changes. Make sure to have it held at the hub and not a UPS retail store since Apple does not allow that. Hope this helps. ;)