Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I recently bought a 1997 Honda Civic Si and I need a solution for holding my loose change. I have two cup holders in the front, but they are in use most of the time so I need to find another way.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I don't keep change. Always pay with credit card or cell phone. I do not even remember if I have had to use physical money since I last visited London in 2006 ;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't keep change. Always pay with credit card or cell phone. I do not even remember if I have had to use physical money since I last visited London in 2006 ;)

really? i hate using plastic as it opens you up more to fraudulent charges

cash all the way

and its untraceable......thats the biggest arguement i have for cash

last thing i want is the govt having the capability to know everything i buy and what not

ElectroGhandi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I recently bought a 1997 Honda Civic Si and I need a solution for holding my loose change. I have two cup holders in the front, but they are in use most of the time so I need to find another way.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Go look around the Dollar Tree. They have tons of little holders for things. Find a small one that clips onto your sun visor or something.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
The ashtray is where most people I know keep theirs, if you don't want it in there you could just get one of those little pouches for change.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ashtray all the way, although my current car has a little holder on the dash for change, which is a nice touch.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
One interesting solution is a plastic change dispenser that hooks onto the space between your window and car door. It works fairly well for me.

They can usually be found in dollar stores or big-box stores like Walmart.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For tolls, I use an electronic device that attaches to the windshield.

My car has a dedicated change box I keep change in

For other type of change, I have small tin mint container (altoids or something similar). Used to keep it out but lots of people ask for mints, so I keep it in the arm rest.

cash all the way

last thing i want is the govt having the capability to know everything i buy and what not

They do know where you are if you use a mobile phone.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
My car conveniently has a slot just above the ash tray that I use for my change.

What about inside the doors?

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
My old car (Grand Prix) had a built in coin holder/dispenser thing.

My new car (Saab 9-3) doesn't even have an ashtray, so I just toss the coins into the center console compartment.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yeah, my car has a small dedicated change drawer in the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I'm a credit card guy too and I have a transponder for the toll roads, but a little extra loose change is sometimes needed for parking meters, etc...

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
You'd buy a pack of gum with a card?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
this kind of isn't really something that needs to be discussed. find a container in your car, or put one there - it's not some riddle.

put a bag in the glovebox or throw it in the door, maybe bring a big cup and throw all your change in it - then dump it in the glove box every night if you really are going through a lot of trouble

cash all the way

i mean... heavens forbid the government looks through your banking account and sees you've bought a few mac products and fastfood! unless you are hiding something i don't see what the point of using cash instead of a card. much easier to track with online banking too.

You'd buy a pack of gum with a card?

i do.. all the time, i buy Arizona Green Tea for 99 cents at publix all the time with my debit card. why would you carry around cash and nickels into a store every day

the only time i actually have physical money is if i get a birthday card or if i make a craigslist sale - and then it's straight to the bank that's half a mile from my house for an ATM cash deposit

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i mean... heavens forbid the government looks through your banking account and sees you've bought a few mac products and fastfood! unless you are hiding something i don't see what the point of using cash instead of a card. much easier to track with online banking too.

that mindset is irritating

just because i have nothing to hide doesnt mean i dont see the value of it

you could say the same thing about privacy in general.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

cash all the way

What happens if you lose your wallet? All that cash is gone and you're not getting it back. If I lose my wallet, I call my bank, report my card as lost and I'm not liable for any charges.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
My ashtray is really small, it wouldn't be able to hold the regular amount of change I normally carry in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.