Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Repeating the trend from Black Friday, a number of App Store developers are discounting their apps for the holidays. AppShopper tracks the apps in the App Store and provides an running list of sales. A few notable discounts include:

- Kineo ($4.99 -> $0.99) - draw flipbook animations
- ComiXology ($4.99 -> $1.99) - browse comic book listings
- Equivalence ($4.99 - $0.99) - conversion tool designed for engineers

Meanwhile, a notable list of discounted iPhone games has been compiled at TouchArcade.

Article Link: Holiday Discounts in App Store

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Great... Hope some more notable apps than those are dropped though!

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
i think discounts in the app is a fantastic idea. i was not expecting this from the app store, but glad to see it
The discounts are from particular developers, not from Apple and its store. However, Apple gets a cut of a smaller sales price, so in effect Apple is sponsoring the discounts too.

My favorite iPhone app at the moment is Pathways by Conniption Entertainment. It's on sale for $0.99 and I highly recommend it. I'm up to level 45.

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
They're not exactly holiday discounts, since they also happen to be introductory discounts, but...

There are two new entries in the Aurora Feint franchise that have intro pricing:

Aurora Feint II: The Beginning -- I think it's basically the II engine without all the multiplayer features, so it's sort of a direct upgrade to the feature set of the original AF. $0.99 -> $2.99 in January.

Aurora Feint II: Tower Puzzles -- is basically just the puzzle aspect of AF (like the level up puzzles). $0.99 -> $1.99 in January.

Comment

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The two macheist apps today are things that I've always looked at but never bothered to purchase. It's nice to see them free! I'm looking forward to seeing what the two available tomorrow are.

Comment

espo369

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Yes!

I want to get in on some of these holiday deals. Can't wait to get some cheap/great apps.!:D

Comment

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Too bad I can't play these on the shuffle. :p

With all the hype of the iPhone and iPod Touch are any new games being developed for the iPod Classic and Nano?

It would be interesting to see the numbers on how many people choose a Classic over a Touch. Other than space I would opt for a Touch over a Classic. I'm sure once the Touch goes to 64Gb and 128Gb the Classic will be a goner. :eek:

Though, what is stopping Apple from putting the iPhone OS on the Nano form factor? Lack of wi-fi maybe?

Comment

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Too bad I can't play these on the shuffle. :p

With all the hype of the iPhone and iPod Touch are any new games being developed for the iPod Classic and Nano?

It would be interesting to see the numbers on how many people choose a Classic over a Touch. Other than space I would opt for a Touch over a Classic. I'm sure once the Touch goes to 64Gb and 128Gb the Classic will be a goner. :eek:

Though, what is stopping Apple from putting the iPhone OS on the Nano form factor? Lack of wi-fi maybe?

Yeah, they were around long before the iPhone/iPod Touch games. There are still new games developed all of the time. Heres the games for the iPod with Video, iPod Classic, iPod Nano 3rd Gen, and iPod Nano 4th Gen:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGenre?id=35

Comment

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Oo some of those previously paid apps are so terrible or silly... I won't even bother with them when they are free now :rolleyes:

Comment

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Holy crap! The MacHeist Giving Tree includes 1Password today! I was *SO* gonna buy this next week when my trial expired!

This is the best password manager around, well worth the $39 they charge for it but GO GET IT NOW, FOR FREE!

Comment

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
for those checking out the mac giving tree, do you still have the two invite presents greyed out? I have sent the invites but I still cannot access whatever they are

Comment

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
for those checking out the mac giving tree, do you still have the two invite presents greyed out? I have sent the invites but I still cannot access whatever they are

I believe the people that you sent the invites to must sign up in order for you to receive the extra applications.

Comment

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
40 negatives votes?
Its good to see all this offers.., this app store has been my favorite app of the iphone. Cant get enough :D.

Comment

stone315

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
I believe the people that you sent the invites to must sign up in order for you to receive the extra applications.

I sent it to my parents and my brother, and the link in the email just sent them to the gift page you see normally. There wasn't an option to sign up, and the apps are still greyed out on my page. Any ideas?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.