Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm coming to holiday to the US from the UK in the summer, I have an Apple ID, account etc, but all UK. I know I can reserve for pickup now to a UK store, but obviously US is cheaper, so how do I reserve for pickup in a US store?

Can I? how? or would I need a US account? I'm presuming you still won't be able to just walk in and buy, and we will only be shopping one of the days when there so its a one chance only!

thanks

BenAigen

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2014
Up a hill
Just walk in and buy - depends what you want is in stock at the time.
See the pinned discussion "Apple Watch availability in US Stores" above.

Ben

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
OP - You should know that if you buy in the US and you live in the UK, you won't have warranty for your device. Warranty is only valid in the country it was purchased in.

Reactions: coltconnn

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Walking in though may not have what I want... Sports 42mm black probably.

I thought the warranty was universal not just country specific...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Located in the terms and conditions:

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION.
Apple may restrict warranty service for hardware products to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."

It says "may" but thats a risk that one needs to take into account.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
Probably not something of concern at all, but your charger wouldn't have the right wall prongs.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Do Apple watch come with a charger? Is the lead just a normal USB on one end though? If so I wouldn't be bothered and just use my iPhone charger.

Worried on warranty though, wouldn't buy if don't know for sure...

Can't walk to another store though, as I say we'll only be shopping 1 day (thank goodness ) and only 1 Apple Store there. That's why I'd prefer to reserve to ensure, although not sure how if I only have a UK account

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Do Apple watch come with a charger? Is the lead just a normal USB on one end though? If so I wouldn't bed bothered and just use my iPhone charger.

Worried on warranty though, wouldn't buy if don't know for sure...

Can't walk to another store though, as I say we'll only be shopping 1 day (thank goodness ) and only 1 Apple Store there. That's why I'd prefer to reserve to ensure, although not sure how if I only have a UK account

The stores in big cities have most of the models in stock now, apart from the Space Black Stainless Steel. Even the Modern Buckle Watch is available, though specific colors can be patchy at times. As far as warranty support, I think it's just the iPhone where they enforce the local country warranty.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Is the Orlando stores classed as big stores then please?

Also as my Apple ID and sign in for the store is in UK, how do I go about reserving in a US store? Can you from web store online?

As I say we'll only be shopping for the 1 day so rather than walk in would rather know it's there ready in case.

thanks

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Located in the terms and conditions:

"IMPORTANT RESTRICTION.
Apple may restrict warranty service for hardware products to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."

It says "may" but thats a risk that one needs to take into account.
Never had issues with Apple before to honor warranties outside the product's original country purchase. Never even brought up by them. I would not worry if I was you!

Reactions: MrMister111

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Never had issues with Apple before to honor warranties outside the product's original country purchase. Never even brought up by them. I would not worry if I was you!
Just got to try and get one now...on the day I go to that store... Unless can find out how to reserve in another country with my UK apple account.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Just got to try and get one now...on the day I go to that store... Unless can find out how to reserve in another country with my UK apple account.
I reserved from a Canadian account in a US store and it worked. I used a canadian mobile phone number to confirm the reservation number. It might work with a UK number. Doesn't cost anything to try it ;)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I reserved from a Canadian account in a US store and it worked. I used a canadian mobile phone number to confirm the reservation number. It might work with a UK number. Doesn't cost anything to try it ;)
So you logged on a day before on your Canadian account and then chose a US store to pickup from? Was third just normal www. Apple.com/store? Then went into store and paid via credit card as normal?

Do you have to give a phone number for reservation? I can as taking my mobile abroad?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Ah....was wanting a normal sport black with black band think, not wanting to be too flash! Think it's the one that looks the most that will blend in, although only very briefly seen them and never tried any on

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
So you logged on a day before on your Canadian account and then chose a US store to pickup from? Was third just normal www. Apple.com/store? Then went into store and paid via credit card as normal?

Do you have to give a phone number for reservation? I can as taking my mobile abroad?

I went on www.apple.com (US URL) and from there found the watch I wanted, clicked on it and selected "Reserve in Store". It then prompted me the list of stores that were holding the watch and chose the appropriate one for me. From there, they will ask you to log in your Apple ID account (doesn't matter which one you use) and then give you a code to text to a phone number. Try texting to see if you get a reply with the confirmation code. If so, you can then proceed with the reservation (it's same day reservation only though).

Hope this helps.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Instead of not worrying, one can just ask them about the warranty situation at the time of purchase. :) That should clear up any lingering doubts or such right then and there.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
So looks like only options I have is to walk in on day, or try and reserve on the day via the web on the morning and how it's in stock.

I'm also not sure what size to get, either the 38 or 42. I'd prefer the 42 for bigger screen for my aging eyes, but unsure as I have skinny wrists. Can I reserve 2? A 38 and a 42? Does it put a hold on a credit card when you reserve?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So looks like only options I have is to walk in on day, or try and reserve on the day via the web on the morning and how it's in stock.

I'm also not sure what size to get, either the 38 or 42. I'd prefer the 42 for bigger screen for my aging eyes, but unsure as I have skinny wrists. Can I reserve 2? A 38 and a 42? Does it put a hold on a credit card when you reserve?

It didn't ask me for any credit card info when I put mine on reserve.

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
Great so it's only a reserve and not an obligation to but as such? Hopefully can do 2 a well then?
Why don't you try both on at a UK Apple Store before you go to US. You will then know which one you want rather than having to try and reserve two.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
OP - You should know that if you buy in the US and you live in the UK, you won't have warranty for your device. Warranty is only valid in the country it was purchased in.

I wonder if he can buy the device in the U.S. and come back and buy the warranty for it in the U.K. ?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Why don't you try both on at a UK Apple Store before you go to US. You will then know which one you want rather than having to try and reserve two.
That's the problem, don't think I'll get to an Apple Store to have a look before going to US though.
I wonder if he can buy the device in the U.S. and come back and buy the warranty for it in the U.K. ?
Buy the warranty when back in UK? Don't understand what you mean, if I buy in US then it comes with warranty there, just need to confirm that it use international warranty.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.