Holy crap LTE is fast!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonR, Mar 31, 2012.

1. JasonR, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I just turned on LTE on my Verizon iPad...holy **** it SMOKES my cable connection. About 20mbps down and 3mbps up...and I'm on the edge of the LTE network.

I think I just may get a new number and switch my unlimited plan to my iPad.... :D

2. elmo151 Guest

didn't know you could switch plans between phone and iPad.

still best to use wifi when possible to avoid usage penalties

3. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Too bad its like taking a big gulp straw and hooking it into a 8 oz can

In otherwords what good is speed (straw) when you only have like 5 gb of data a month (liquid).

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

That's an excellent analogy. I have to be so careful now because watching videos with out all the lag that came with 3G makes it easy to go overboard. One time I used a whole gig in a day.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

I realize that limited plans suck, and I agree with that. But we have the cap regardless of LTE or 3G. Just because I have LTE I'm not suddenly going to change HOW I use the service, simply because of the cap.

But.. it will allow you to do what you were already going to do without waiting around.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well said my friend...

7. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Unless you stream Netflix via LTE, a 5mb webpage loading is a 5mb webpage. EDGE, 3G or LTE.

I just don't quite get why people think that the same usage 3g vs. LTE will suddenly cause you to hit your cap. Yes videos will take advantage of the additional speeds by streaming at a higher quality, which will use more data. No, you shouldn't stream Netflix incessantly on pre-paid iPad data with only 1gig of data anyway, regardless of speed.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am pretty amazed too. Was getting 22 down and 11 up in San Diego today.

9. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

I'm amazed by AT&T LTE! I'm getting 43Mbps Down and 20 Up right now as we speak. :D

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If a Verizon LTE connection was sold unlimited at $60/month, I would so buy it and ditch my DSL connection. I mean 6Mb for $45/month? This whole broadband market sure doesn't advance very fast. A decade ago we were paying $50 for 1.5Mbps. My provider offers a 12Gb service, but the wires around me can't handle it. Plus considering I seem to have trouble doing more than one thing at a time downstream, it's not like it would totally help (and I have no idea why that happens.)

But unfortunately I don't think the bandwidth exists to start doing that. I can just hope that the next iPhone will be LTE so I can get one next year.

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I accessed LTE for the first time at the Chicago airport. Wow indeed, even at the Airport is was lightning fast.

I'm grandfathered into the unlimited AT&T data plan but it will be a while before my city has LTE i am guessing, so I will use it on the road.

12. tkelly0314 macrumors newbie

I agree! LTE is blazing! I'm in Atlanta and just called Comcast and downgraded my internet as i'm getting unlimited LTE through Verizon for $9.99!

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

How are you getting it for that price?

14. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I think you misunderstood. You're completely correct of course, that your speed won't directly affect your cap. But because the connection is so much faster, some users will do things they wouldn't usually do, and that would reduce the time until he cap is reached. For example, someone may really want to watch an online video, but knows it will take ages to load so they don't bother. But with the new speed, they know they can easily do it and happily watch. The speed can have an effect on the amount of data used, because it may allow the user to use online services more.

15. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

No misunderstandings here. If anyone chooses to stream video on a prepaid limited plan, they are asking for trouble. LTE isn't at fault here, the user is.

Just saying the same use profile is the same use profile regardless of speed. People seem to think that faster data causes more data to be used. It simply doesn't. The user uses more data so it's the user who's at fault for increased data usage, not the network speed. Ah well, this back and forth 3g vs. LTE debate will always exist so I'll step aside.

16. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I'm getting similar speeds on Verizon, with full bars at my house. My LTE phone with ATT gets two bars and half the speeds of Verizon LTE

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't think it's even possible to switch your unlimited phone plan to your iPad.

18. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Yes it is.

19. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I picked up both AT&T and Verizon models to test. Verizon smokes AT&T LTE. I'm keeping Verizon and giving up my unlimited datat (well leaving with my old iPad that my mom now uses). You'd think AT&T would be better in the NYC/north east NJ area.

20. tkelly0314 macrumors newbie

Verizon had a promotion last year that got you $20.00 off each line of unlimited data on your account so I converted one of my grandfathered lines to 4G so i'm getting unlimited 4G for $9.99

21. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Holy crap again...tested my LTE connection at work:

38.09 mbps down, 25.70 mbps up

34.55 mbps down, 21.32 mbps up

That's just insane fast. I'm used to my home cable 10mbsp down 1.4 mbsp up connection.

22. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

Yup. Verizon entices you with the incredible speed of their version of LTE, then they SLAM the breaks with data limits that are so low that you can barely use the service, if you don't want to get hit with additional charges. I cannot imagine my cable company getting away with charging me broadband at home at the same price and bandwidth rates.

23. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

After reading the AnandTech review, stating it can get 25+ hours on a single charge when working as a mobile hotspot, I'm starting to wonder if someone will try to convince their IT guys to get a new iPad as a 'emergency backup' internet solution.

30+Mbps is perfectly acceptable for a small/medium workgroup, and - as an iPad - it even has it's own "UPS"! So even if the broadband and power is down, as long as the cell-towers are still functional and everyone is working on laptops, you're still in business.

Don't think any IT guys would fall for it though! ;)

24. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Why would they do that when you can surely buy cheap LTE hotspot devices?

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The reason being "getting your employer to pay for a new iPad, even though you don't really need it"! ;)

There probably are dedicated devices that do the same job, and cheaper, I'm sure.