All iPads Home button Old/New

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ohrstrom, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Anyone else a tad disappointed that they stuck with the old home buttons? The newer looked far better in my opinion and regardless of touch ID or no touch ID, I would have liked to see them. The gold color not being there I don't really care about myself, but I sure would have liked the new home buttons.

2. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I like the old one better. I think the space grey iPhone 5s looks hella awkward with no symbol in the middle. The silver/gold look a little better because they have the ring, but idc for white devices.

3. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

The space gray has a ring too don't it? :)

4. MacFriedRice macrumors member

5. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I think maybe you didn't read my post properly, this is not about touch ID. Its about the button's design.

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Not really. I mean I think it does but you literally almost can't see it. I don't own one (yet) but I've been to the store 3 times and never noticed the Space Grey ring. I simply thought it just didn't have one. Even if it does, it still looks hella awkward like I said. The gold and silver ring is much more noticeable. So for the black (space grey) model, I much prefer the way the iPhone 5 looks in the front, rather than the 5s. That's my opinion anyway, so same goes for the iPad

7. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I checked apples images on their homepage and its there but looks much discrete than the sites, still i like the design better, I've yet to see one IRL though.

8. MacFriedRice macrumors member

When touch ID arrives on the iPads, you will get a new button design.

:apple:

9. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Gee you think? You must be some sort of guru sitting on knowledge like that. You're either just gathering posts or completely oblivious to the point of the thread, this will be my last response to your responses, as clearly you're far too much guru for me.

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah I thought it looked sweet when I saw the pictures but it doesn't look like that in person. Look up google images of the space grey. I think what makes it look so awkward is that the ring on the space grey version isn't really space grey colored. It's more....black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Granted it's not something I'd called ugly, but it definitely looks odd. And I'd almost go as far to say it looks like the outcast of the family when comparing to the gold and silver model's rings LOL

----------

I don't mean to be like the ultimate pessimist or anything (and don't use my own opinions to sway your decision - please) but this whole space grey business might actually get me to buy the gold or silver this time around. I never in a million years would have considered not getting a black phone, but the "dark silver" isn't really doing anything for me. I really hate the contrast of the space grey color and the black glass pieces on the back, and the "black" ring doesn't look nearly as nice (IMO) as the silver/gold ring. If they had made the ring more space grey colored my opinion would be vastly different (on the front) but since it's black, and blends in; it just kinda looks kinda naked. Like a de-badged automobile.

11. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I agree those images look depressing. I have been fairly certain that I will get a matching 5s and retina mini... now Im not sure, the white 5s is probably back in the lead, the silver version... I really didn't like that the whole button appeared to be a different color than the rest of the black front color.

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

What exactly do you mean by your last sentence? I'm sure I get it though, it does look out of place. I'm kind of split 40/60 on whether I get the space grey or not too. And also was going for the matching mini retina and iPhone ;) . Why are you thinking silver over the gold? Although I happen to think the silver looks the best too.

13. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I mean that the black front (aside from screen) is BLACK while the whole home button appears to be more dark grey than black. Obviously the design should be as it looks on the white one, same color as the rest of the front with just a clear circle around it. The design is beautiful but it looks like they failed with the black one. Hopefully tomorrow I can see one IRL and make a final determination. Release at midnight tonight and Im off tomorrow so Ill harvest the different carrier and apple stores in search of a first hand view.

14. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Oh I didn't know they were not released for you yet. Yeah I tried to convince myself that they were just bad pictures, but I've seen it in real life a few times now. It mostly looks like that one picture (as you stated above). For us detail oriented, and particular people - apple fail.

15. Powrie macrumors 6502

Touch ID Blows.

They will take it off the next iPhone.

16. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I think mine looks quite nice :) More minimalist on the front... They couldn't have kept the square since it would have interfered with the sensor.

I prefer my Space Grey to the black. It looks a lot more stylish and not as 'purple' as the Slate. It also scratches a lot less... Haven't even got a scratch on mine yet and I have dropped it a few times and naked since day one. My friend on the other hand had scratches even with a case on after the first few days, let alone weeks. They did it to stop all the complaining, not because the colour was nicer.

17. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Yes it sure feels like someone dropped the ball on the black home button. Ill post my final findings tomorrow given that I can see a black phone out there. It sure is looking like a white phone again though. :p As I said in another thread from the start, the white does have a nice fresh feel to it. :)

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

Absolute rubbish. It works great and is a great addition to the iPhone. It will continue being offered on future models.

----------

In my opinion it would cause confusion with people thinking it had touch ID when it doesn't. There is no point in having it unless they include the touch ID feature itself. Whilst it does look nicer its not a deal breaker for me.

19. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Neither is it for me, I just think its a shame since it did look better... Hence the "a tad disappointed" remark rather than a "absolutely livid" one. :D

20. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Im now the proud owner of a black and space gray iPhone 5S.

The button is indeed nice and black and the ring around, although discrete, is most likely the same space gray, however, what makes it look black is that it is polished, not like the edges and back, but like the tiny tiny edges between the front/back and the edges. Because of this shiny look depending on lighting it becomes either dark or light. A debatable choice by Apple I suppose. However Im pleased with my choice.

21. VanillaCracker, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Congratulations on your new phone :)

Thanks for your observation! Your opinion influences me heavily because I will either be picking up a space grey one within a couple days, or waiting 2-3 weeks for the sold-out gold one to be available to buy....I have seen it a few times like I said, but it wasn't more than 1-3 minutes hands on use only in the apple store (that crazy lighting).

I'm glad to see that it does indeed look like a nicely colored ring in certain lighting. I know this is cumbersome, but do you mind uploading a couple pictures of how it looks. Maybe 1 in good lighting (so that the space grey color of the ring shows) and another in bad?

22. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Tried to get shots but it wasn't easy to find lighting suitable. I must admit though, you won't be getting a lot of lighting making the circle appear space gray. but in many lights you can easily distinct it from the rest of the button.
    Also, the reason the button itself actually appeared to be grey on images is because the button actually appears to be slightly below the rest of the front surface, embossed or whatever the term is, this makes the light hit the button differently than the front, causing the button to appear to be in a different color. But Im not disappointed. If you prefer black devices, I would guess you won't be either.

Attached Files:

23. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I do like black devices :eek: I will likely get the space grey, but I'll do a final observation at the apple store tomorrow. 2-4 weeks is much too long of a wait anyway :p

Thanks for the shots! It is as I would expect and that's fine - I like the ring on the silver/gold model better - but maybe not enough to accept a white device for it :D

24. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Im not a huge fan of the space gray, but my opinion is that Apple did it just so they would not have as many complaints about the back being scratched since the space gray shouldnt show scratches as well.

25. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Report back tomorrow when you've fondled your copy for a while. ^^