Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Do away with Touch ID altogether and use iris scanning instead.
I don't even use Touch ID, so to keep nasty antique bezels and an archaic home button on account of this.... is annoying.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
I think this could cause issues with protecting your device. The case would need to be open on the back for the sensor.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Unsure if the OP is aware, but LG makes phones with buttons on the back. It looks god awful, but it actually makes a lot of sense in the hand. I've never had an easier time adjusting volume while in a call.

But... yeah... look incredibly ugly. My first impression was "wtf are they thinking?" Then I was like "ok I see what they were thinking, but did they turn it around and look at it before giving it the green light?"

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
The home button also gives the iPhone instant recognition. For me personally having it on the back is not practical. I have a long passcode. So, having it on the table I'll have to either pick the phone up or input the code. What if it's docked in my car? Sure having it in the back might feel better when you hold it. But it should also work all the time. If it doesn't you might as well get rid of it. Apple might remove the button when they can intergrate it in the screen.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Unsure if the OP is aware, but LG makes phones with buttons on the back. It looks god awful, but it actually makes a lot of sense in the hand. I've never had an easier time adjusting volume while in a call.

But... yeah... look incredibly ugly. My first impression was "wtf are they thinking?" Then I was like "ok I see what they were thinking, but did they turn it around and look at it before giving it the green light?"

I am that is what made me think of them moving the button to the back. It would work especially well on a bigger phone since people tend to hold the larger phones with their thumb and ring finger/pinky with their index finger and middle finger on the back of the phone.

It was just a thought since there isn't much more room to shrink it from the sides or in thinness (they can make it as thin as the iPad Air 2 but where do they go from there?) and Apple is all about making their devices as small as possible. I see them doing something like this to the 6+ since it really has a lot of bezel to work with at that size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.