Home button/respring

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gpo1956, Jun 30, 2010.

1. gpo1956 macrumors member

Hey guys, I need some help. My jailbroken 3GS, just tonight, starting acting up. When I push the home button to leave a program it doesn't do anything. If I continue to hold it down, it goes straight to my lock screen/pad. I thought maybe that Soundhound was the problem, so I tried to delete it by holding down on the icon and then tapping the x, but it just freezes at that point. Everything seems to work ok except the home button. Any ideas?

2. celticpride678

What other apps do you have installed via Cydia?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you tried respringing into Safe Mode? If the problem goes away you will have narrowed it down to some jailbroken thing.

4. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

What,exactly, does that mean? How do I get it to safe mode?

5. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

Backgrounder, Winterboard,Cydelete, Quickreply, Callclear, Categories, SBSettings. I just downloaded Soundhound last night, and it was the last program I played with before this started. Now any activation of the home button goes back to the lock screen.

6. celticpride678

Before I tell you to uninstall all of those applications, try uninstalling SBsettings. After you uninstall that, uninstall Activator (which is installed with SBsettings). That sounds like the issue, and it was for me.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To get into Safe Mode activate SBSettings, then tap Power in the bottom right. In the window that pops up tap Safe Mode. This will respring SpringBoard in Safe Mode. When you unlock your iPhone a new popup will open. Tap OK. Then test out some of your apps to see if the problem is still there. When you are done, swipe the status bar to get the popup back, then click Restart.

8. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

All that did was remove all my lockscreen info.

9. celticpride678

SBsettings nor Activator should remove your lockscreen settings...:confused:

10. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

I re-installed SBSettings and did this. When I unlocked my phone, there was no new popup.

11. celticpride678

Then you're doing something wrong...or lying:rolleyes:

12. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

Why in the hell would I be lying about this? I followed Intell's directions to the T. There is NO new popup. It goes straight to the homescreen.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think you did. You need to swipe the status bar to get SBSettings to appear then you need to hit the Power icon on the lower right of the screen. Then in the pop up that pops up you need to select Safe Mode. When SpringBoard resprings in Safe Mode you need to tap OK on the pop up that says you are in Safe Mode. Then test out some apps for the problem. When you are done testing, swipe the status bar and click Restart.

14. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

There is the problem. When I select Safe Mode, it goes directly to my unlock screen. I get no screen indicating I'm in Safe Mode.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When your at your lockscreen after you have selected Safe Mode the background should be all black with a sad iPhone. Then the pop up is after you unlock the device.

16. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

I get no sad iphone screen. It just goes straight to the keypad to unlock it. It goes from there to my homescreen. Any ideas?

17. celticpride678

OK, since something is up here, you should restore your iPhone and then re-jailbreak it.

18. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

Fellows, I'm very sorry to be asking what I'm sure are redundant questions, but here goes. My 3GS is about 6 weeks old. It is 3.1.3 (saved on Cydia). It was jailbroken with Spirit. My wife has upgraded itunes to 9.2. Can someone point me to a thread that will explain how I can restore my phone and then wait until the jailbreak is out for the 3GS? Or, can I connect to itunes 9.2 and delete the Soundhound app, which I think is probably caussing the problem? I thought I read somewhere not to use 9.2 if you had 3.1.3 jailbropken by Spirit.
    thanks for any help you can give me.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use iTunes 9.2 with Spirit. You just can't jailbreak with iTunes 9.2 and Spirit.

So if you want to restore to a jailbroken 3.1.3 using Spirit. You will have to use a computer with an older version of iTunes.

20. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

Can you please point me to a thread to show me how to restore? When I went to restore on itunes, it warned me that the phone would be wiped and the newest version of software would be down loaded. Will this cause a problem?

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Question: Do you want to stay jailbroken on 3.1.3? Or do you want to wait for the 4.0 jailbreak?

22. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

At this point, I really don't care if I stay jailbroken or not. I just want to try and get my phone working again. Also, if I have to send it in I don't want it jailbroken. I'm sure they would raise hell about that.

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have your contacts, music, photos, and Apps on your computer you can restore your iPhone to 4.0. When it's done restoring you can add your music and stuff back on to it. The jailbreak for 4.0 should be out shortly.

24. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Glad to have helped.