Home button venting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brojan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. brojan macrumors member

throw all your vents in here! Every change will end up in people complaining and then accepting it.

1. I don't think it feels like a button. It sure does feel like the trackpad. Almost like the whole case back is clicking up into the phone.

2. And this one is big... can't click with fingernail! So if your thumb is sideways and too much nail and not enough skin... no click :(

2. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I stopped by AT&T right before dinner since it was right next door. Basically just wanted to check out the new home button.

I don't like it at all. The trackpad in the new MacBooks feels almost the same as the old trackpad, but this feels nothing like the old home button.

4. iScone macrumors regular

iScone

I actually really like the taptic feedback. It feels like a button and it works (I have it on option 1). But... it's doing it too often. The thing vibrates on nearly every possible thing it can. Scrolling down a drop-down list, for example, I don't need this button vibrating for every option that zooms by. Rubber-band refreshing a screen? Don't need it, bruh. I just don't need it.

5. xeio macrumors member

xeio

you can turn it off in Settings. Sound & haptic

6. SF-RR7 macrumors member

7. Nik73 macrumors regular

Felt totally weird to me at first, now it's weird that it doesn't. When I don't think about it, feels just like a button.
    Clever stuff.

8. Wise87 macrumors 6502

After the first hour of use I like the new button. Doesn't take long to get use to it. I have forgotten it's not a true button.

9. MacBreezy macrumors regular

It took touching the home button about 5 times to get used to it... People will always find something to complain about no matter what they do with these phones.

10. matt550 macrumors 6502

Overall I like it. Definitely takes some getting used too.

11. QuickDraw macrumors regular

12. brojan thread starter macrumors member

3. Also feels weird/terrible clicking when phone is on hard surface I.e. Desk. Seems to take more effort to push.

But yes we'll all accept it and get used to it.

Just saying!

13. california_kid macrumors member

I like it, but it has one negative effect - I find myself pressing down on the app icons expecting to get the same sensation and all it does is activate the 3d screen options.

14. sinister184 macrumors member

This. I still don't think it feels like a button, but its odd how quick i got accustomed to it.

15. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My son has some touchscreen compatible gloves. They work with the screen but not on the home button! Unbelievable.

He said "that's what happens when it's designed in California ".

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Better get used to it because Apple is rumored to ditch the dedicated home button in the 2017 iPhone.

17. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I dropped in the Apple Store today to have a look at the 7's. I just picked them up and started playing around with them, checking out new iOS 10 features, the new cameras, etc... After several minutes I realized that I hadn't even been aware of the new home button (i.e. As I had just picked the phones up and dived right in). So, I guess it felt very natural to me. I actually liked it.

18. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I took to I straight away, I think it's fantastic. Personally I think it feels a lot like the click on the remote of the ATV4 - very similar, even though that's a phisical click. Very happy.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I"m perfectly ok with the new home button. I have it set to 1.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I really like it. I've got mine set too three and it sort of feels like a real click!

I will be interested the see the developers taking advantage of the new button with notifications etc as Phil mentioned at the keynote.

21. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Yeah I felt it to be very odd at first. I hated it!! Now I am used to it after a few hours use. It actually feels odd to me when I press down on the home button of my 6s plus and don't get that feedback from it now. You get used to it quickly.

22. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

I like it when holding the phone on hand. -- But I really cannot get used to when the phone is laying on the table. I just don't feel the click.

23. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

24. daymouse macrumors regular

I really like it pressing the old style button feels really squishy and out dated.

People going on about not being able to press the home button with touch screen gloves.

Couple of work arounds

Press power button swipe left and launch an app from there to bring up pass keypad.

Or

Press power button press home button with nose to bring up key pad

Just tested my gloves and the work fine!

25. kis macrumors 65816

Wouldn't say I love it but it doesn't bother me, either. Still better than the vibration feedback some other phones have