Home Delivery ONLY Option on Day 1?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dsa420, Mar 31, 2015.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I called Apple to inquire into the pre-order process and was told that online pre-order would only be available for home delivery (no in store pickup). The guy said midnight PST BTW.

I also went into the store and asked my business rep about the process and he said they were still being trained on what will take place on 4/10, they don't know the details of how orders will take place.

Speculation here, but if what the guy on the phone told me is true it sounds like home delivery is the only way to get the watch on day 1.

2. Cayden, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I think this will for sure be true. Although I would much rather go to the Apple Store and pick up the watch to have the expirence and to make sure I get it when I want it. 9to5mac has reported on this too saying "Unlike with past iPhone and iPad launches, the Personal Pickup service that allows a person to order a device online and pick up at the store will be unavailable, but this may change in the future as inventory becomes more widely available." ( http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/26/apple-watch-launch-availability/#more-371562 )

3. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

What "experience?"

Going to an Apple Store to fight the crowd and get a device you ordered online is exhausting.

It's kinda fun to go when you don't know if you'll get what you want, though.

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

This all makes me SO grateful that I know what I want. I have never lived in reach of an Apple store so never had the temptation to do the day 1 thing there. Only ONCE did I hit an AT&T early for a phone and I was number 5 or 6 in line by getting there an hour before the store opened.

6. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I really enjoy the whole atmosphere of Apple Stores on launch days. Everyone is excited for their new device, and it's fun to meet new people that have similar interests in tech. I'm in personal correspondence with many of the employees and business team members at my local Apple Store, so it's fun to see them at this time. The store I am near is not in a mall and is generally not very crowded so it leads to a very fun experience for launch days

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Thank you for confirming the midnight preorder.

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I was under the impression that In-Store Reservations wouldn't be available online (Day One) but would be available from inside a store during a try-on appointment. Now I'm just confused. :eek:

9. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I love watching it on the news. It is always fun to watch the first idiot out of the store drop it taking it from the box.

10. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Well I'm ordering both of mine to my work so ner ner ner apple. ;-)

11. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I work from home so I will be here waiting for when it arrives...just like I did with my iphone 5....and my iphone 6

12. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The experience of being able to tell your grandkids, 'I was there at an Apple store way back in 2015 when the first smart watch came out - and I bought one!'

'But grandpa - I heard there were other smart watches before Apple'.

'Silence! President of the Earth, Jonny Ives, will not allow dissent!'

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

LOL. Yeah. I was there for the iPhone and iPad launches. Apple stores have become madhouses since then. I'll just wait for the UPS guy.

14. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Waiting for the UPS guy will be the only choice. Hope they use UPS not fedex so I can have them hold at facility for pickup.

15. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

This is all speculation. Why don't we just wait for a few days more until Apple officially confirm our options. Every day soneone posts a different story form Apple employees who are as much in the dark as we are.
    We will know for sure in the next week or so

16. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

So Apple is only allowing pre orders for the Apple watch and not letting customers purchase in store?

17. Nothlit macrumors regular

There are a couple of examples I can think of for ordering online but choosing store pickup:
    • Someone may want the device on day 1, but doesn't want the package left unattended at their home while they're away at work, and is unable to receive personal deliveries at work.
    • Some people may order for pickup in a neighboring state where the sales tax is less than their home state (or zero). This is of questionable legality since the person may then be required to pay use tax to their home state, which almost no one does.

I've never had to fight a crowd when doing store pickup on launch day. Usually I go around mid-afternoon, wait in a line of about 5-10 people (separate from the "walk-ins"), and am in and out of the store in 20 minutes or so.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I think you are supposed to be able to make a "private reservation" in which you get a time slot to try it on. Unlike the "try-on" appointments, which start 4/10, these reservations guarantee a Watch is set aside. It will be different from an in-store pickup in that you are given a specific time to come in. The only alternative will be home shipment.

I plan to do the latter. If he's right about midnight PDT, I guess I'll need to set my alarm for 1:50CDT that morning.

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I've seen lines that took several hours to stand in.

For store pickup.

I'd rather avoid that.

20. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502

Totalkharnage

Attached Files:

21. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

You can purchase in store if you wait till April 24th with the rest of the all the people. Or preorder on April 10th, but when preordered it has to be shipped to your home. No instore pickup for preordering.

22. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502

Totalkharnage

Where is this confirmed?

What about reservations made in store from the 10th?

23. comptr macrumors 65816

Also talking to the people at my local apple store they are saying that the whole process is going to be more smother then in the past so I am guessing we can have the short wait times as your saying but we won't know till the release date gets closer.

24. Lucifer666, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

They will have in-store pickup. Trust me.

But, they will call it something else. Something fancy like "In-store Personal appointment".

I also, think that if you just want it and tell them to 'cut the bull' they will not bug you.

Just a hunch.

I think it would be way cool to pick this up, with all the other lunatics trying on these watches.

Hilarious. :D

25. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I agree in-store PU is the way to go.... you get the "excitement" of being there for the big day but get to laugh at all the fools too stupid to pre-order......