Home OPEN BETA out TOMORROW the 11th

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by iKwick7, Dec 10, 2008.

1. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Just read over at www.ps3fanboy.com that the open beta is, in fact, tomorrow.

Didn't see this postsed yet. Looking forward to giving it a go!

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Maybe I'll give it a spin - after everything is safely backed up. ;)

3. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'd be lying if I said I was really excited over it, but I'll definitely check it out.

4. iKwick7 thread starter macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I'm not excited over it either, but it's definitely something I want to check out. It'll also be nice to "hang out" with the brother and play pool or do a little bowling online and such.

That's one thing I hate about the PSN and LOVE about the 360 - creating a chat session and staying in that chat session while going in and out of various different games.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Well good news for you because thats what home is about.

I've been in Home beta for a while now so it doesn't really affect me but hopefully more things will open up when it goes live for the masses.

Hopefully they get some rules going on fast because some of the tools I see in home harassing the female avatars is atrocious.

Bless

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You probably don't have to worry. It's just a small little 77mb thingy :p. I just got into the private beta Monday and now they release the open one.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well 77mb to install Home structure... It reserves nearly 4GB on your HDD for the actual Home Content, and you have to download EVERYTHING a bit at a time over and over and over again.... it's so slow to get going...

Why they simply couldnt just say. Right it's 2gb compressed, download the whole lot in the background and then install, rather than this drip feed which makes the whole Home experience really irksome.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Actually... it's 77mb then saves 3gb for the DLC on Home (like any place you want to go). Not a bad idea...

9. Stepper macrumors regular

I'll put £20 on PSN being down untill Friday....:rolleyes:

I don;t even really know what this Home thing is all about...is it basically The Sims with some kind of advanced social networking intergrated into it? :confused:

Whats so good about it?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Errr that's exactly what I said.... :confused:

77mb initially, then drip feeds you the data needed as you do 'everything' from change your avatar to go anywhere.... which all takes ages then to load....

I didn't mean it has to download everything a fresh, but it at least has to download them once - but with so much going on that's a hell of a lot of waiting...

Personally I think it is a bad idea. The reality is if people 'really' intend to use HOME then of course they are going to go to every location otherwise what's the point of it ? So why not just roll the whole lot up into a bigger install and then we do start up home, your not left waiting for everything all the time.

The first few hours of HOME are simply tortuous.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

According to you all games are this way ;)

It's really not that bad, a few waits here and there for brief amounts of time, nothing epic in wait time.

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

What section on PSN is Home hidden away in? I can't seem to find it.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:D Cheeky !!!

I guess it depends how fast your internet connection is too though. At only 1.5mb down here, it seems really 'really' slow here to be honest.

Well for those who got the invites, we had to go to account managment and 'redeem code'.. As for Open beta of Home I'm unsure, I'd assume they will rollout a PS3 update which makes home selectable for install much like PS3 LIFE! is at the moment..

14. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I don't see it anywhere either. How do we get Home?!?!

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You restart and it appears...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've been trying and trying, I can't get in. Restarted and found the icon on the XMB - but after accepting the EULA - it keeps failing.

Deleted and reinstalled (after many failed attempts) and no different.

I think Sony hates my PS3. I had problems with getting some programs that were the Japanese versions. (mine is a US launch 60GB) I remember having this issue with F@H, then with "Life".

Anyhow, friend got his to work on first whack, and I compared versions against his - same SW version. Except my install was a bit bigger. (by about 15MB) Which is funny, considering I've never been on it yet.
    :confused:

17. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I did that originally after reading the blog and nothing happened. By "restarting" do I just turn the PS3 on, wait for a bit and then turn it back on? Is there some special "restart" option? I can sign into the PSN store fine so my internet connection is working but still no Home. Very odd.

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Well, I updated my closed beta to the open version and......

The good:
    -Far Cry and Uncharted spaces are there (haven't tried)

The bad:
    -Hard to get in and got an error after testing for a few minutes, so I couldn't try much
    -Needed to re-download some updated areas of the world
    -Crowded
    -No Red Bull game!

But.... it is just a beta.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well I updated from the closed beta to the open beta and I like the design of the open beta much better. I've been trying all night to get in but couldn't and I expected it seeing as it the launch of the service.

Alot of people were actually using their headsets when I was on and the mall area was still packed.

Bless

20. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Huh? Different design? I didn't notice anything, but I got my closed beta on Monday maybe it was the same version :confused:.

21. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

So impressions:

• The sheer amount of people who are in at the same time (when it works :p).
    • Doesn't take too long to load up.

The bad:
    • You have to pay for furniture of homes. :rolleyes:
    • Can't use Little Big Planet avatars...
    • Avatar creation not as intuitive.
    • Took me an hour to try to get on...

Overall, it's a good attempt at moving forward a 3D Facebook/Myspace. Or rather, Second Life. Hopefully, if there are enough of you rich people out there that buy the "virtual" furniture and home spaces, maybe Sony will be able to drop the price on the PS3. ;)

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

w00t Namco swag!

[​IMG]

Ya, so there's this Namco Museum demo/beta thing in the Japanese PSN store and if you get some high scores/other achievements you randomly get free stuff in Home! Sadly, the arcade machines are only playable in a Japanese account, but I can still place them in my US Home I just get an error when I try to play. Anyway, I've unlocked......

-Namco Shorts
    -Pac-Man Shirt
    -Galaga Shirt
    -Galaga Machine
    -Dig Dug Doll

Ya, pretty cool. I hope there are more games/demos that do this. To unlock them I just played some games in Namco arcade and got a message, then when I booted up Home I got a message saying I unlocked some stuff.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Are there actually people using Home? I used the closed beta for about 30 minutes and deleted it. I like Mii's more than the fugly emotionless avatars Home is using. And W-T-F is up with having to WAIT IN LINE to play a game? Are you ****ing kidding? Where the hell is Phil at? He needs to fix this crap... oh yeah at Atari, turning **** around.

Okay, I feel better.

25. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

It's packed, very very packed.

So yes, longer lines!!! :D