Home Stereo Listening

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPadCary, Dec 31, 2014.

1. iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Naturally, with iPod Touch, I haven't bought a CD since I-Don't-Know-When.
    But the thing with CDs is, you listen to them at home by just popping the
    disc into your home stereo system.

How would I go about listening to my iPod Touch on my home stereo system?
    What method do you guys use? Thanks!

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I have an Apple TV connected to my av receiver. Really, an Apple TV is probably the best solution. It's cheap and wireless and is simple to use.

3. iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

While I adore AppleTV, but am waiting for it's ability to play games first
    before I get one, I was looking for a less kludgy/more plug & play "solution".
    But thanks for the input. Anyone else, please?

Just out of curiosity, how do you use the AppleTV like that?

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I have the Bowers & Wilkins MM1 for my computer and the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin for my iPod; Logitech and Bose (both of which I have as they are more portable) also make good quality and reasonably priced speakers for iPods.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The Apple TV is really a good device for this if you already have a stereo system you are looking to hook up, especially if that stereo system is in the same location as your TV because it can perform double duty by being connected to your TV for video content and your stereo for music.

If the stereo you want to listen on is not near your TV I would suggest the Apple Airport Express which can be hooked up to the auxiliary input of your stereo. It's a bit cheaper than the ATV, doesn't need to be hooked to a TV to set it up and manage it, and it tends to wake up and start playing music faster than the ATV.

Really, this is about the most kludge-free way of setting yourself up to listen to music. The only thing perhaps easier is to get a cable you connect to the stereo and then connect that directly to the iPod. Of course then it is tied to the stereo and you can't use it for anything else. With the ATV or Airport Express you can send any music on the iPod to the stereo with the press of a button, wirelessly from anywhere you can pick up your home wifi signal.

6. iPadCary, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

@zhenya
    That AirPort Express [AE] idea sounds like a good dealio.

One question: So I've got the AE connected to the AUX ["AUX IN", I presume]
    on my stereo. Exactly what do I do from there. You said "... with the push of a button".
    Exactly which button is that? lol Thanks!

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, you're right. The Airport Express connects to the aux in of your stereo. Once it is configured on your network you will see an icon that looks like this

[​IMG]

either in the control center as shown, or in the app. You tap on that button, and choose the Airport Express and a few seconds later music will start playing from your stereo.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In my study (where the real HiFi equipment is): Cable stuck in the back of the receiver coming out at the front of my desk. Plug iPod in, that's it. Living room: Cheap music player has cable in the back. TV has Apple TV with my library on the Mac published and all available.

9. iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

OK, I think I've got it now. Many, many thanks to the both of you!

10. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

you could even use something as simple as a cord with left / right audio rca to 3.5mm jack. Just plug in, it'll work with any stereo system. Just auxiliary / rca input

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I modified a photo frame to hold an iPod touch. (Read: Hot glued iPod touch 4 in) Then a neatly ran a wire into the frame and have it plugged into a wall socket. I have airplay speakers hard wired into a few rooms and backyard.

12. iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Wow, RCA plugs .... They still make those?!? lol