Home Theater Projector Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cc00lltt00nn, Oct 6, 2015.

1. cc00lltt00nn macrumors member

cc00lltt00nn

In the new house we're building I'm planning on installing a ceiling-mount projector in our media room. To it I will be connecting my Apple TV, XB1, DIRECTV box, and surround speakers (or soundbar). Is there an alternative to connect these components to the projector other than an old-school bulky receiver? Thanks!

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

Check out this recent thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-home-theater-‏.1920252/#post-22010166

You need some sort of "hub of activity", so yes you need an audio video receiver (AVR). All of your devices (AppleTV, XB1, etc.) would connect to the AVR, and there would be 1 HDMI cable that goes to the projector. Further, you need something to decode, amplify, and distribute the audio to the speakers. Hence the need for an AVR.

There are alternate solutions such as sound bars that will handle inputs and then connect to the projector if you really want to avoid an AVR.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    AVR is THE way to go. If it's a "don't want to see it" issue, you can always hide up to all of the AV equipment out of sight and use IR repeaters and similar to control them.

And make sure you build in a way to update cabling, even laying some PVC pipe with some strong strings in place to pull future cable standards. HDMI is now and may last a while (maybe even another decade+) but nothing in the AV cable world seems to be eternal. You might need to pull HDMI's replacement through some day and that's easier to do if you plan for the possibility today.

4. cc00lltt00nn thread starter macrumors member

cc00lltt00nn

Thank you both for your input! It's crazy to me that with all the technological advances, receivers still (basically) look the same as they did 15 years ago.

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Their job is mostly the same as it was 15 years ago- to be the input hub for everything else, to power analog speakers and to direct all outputs to at least one TV and one primary set of speakers. The internal technologies keep moving along (new codecs, etc) but the guts of it all tend to still be the basics just described.