Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

elgatoeveenergy.jpg
Elgato was one of the first companies to release Bluetooth-enabled HomeKit accessories back in June of 2015, but one of its products, the Eve Energy smart plug, was only made available in Europe. That's set to change today, with the launch of the U.S. version of the Eve Energy.

Available from Amazon and the Elgato website, Eve Energy plugs into any standard wall socket and allows users to control whatever's plugged in using the companion Elgato Eve app and Siri voice commands. It connects to other HomeKit-enabled products and can be used in HomeKit Scenes for automatic control over connected devices.

Eve Energy turns any appliance into a smart appliance, but it also has a useful power monitoring feature that will let you keep an eye on how much power a device is using. Eve connects to an iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth, so there's no hub or bridge required for communication.

eveenergy2.jpg

We previously reviewed the European version of the Eve Energy and found it to be one of the most useful HomeKit-connected products Elgato makes. In the early days of HomeKit, Bluetooth accessories had some trouble staying connected, especially when used remotely, but many of those early issues have been resolved through software and firmware updates. Elgato's line of Eve products, which includes the Eve Energy, the Eve Room, the Eve Weather, and the Eve Door & Window, is more reliable and suffers from connectivity issues.

The Eve Energy is available from the Elgato website and from Amazon for $49.95.

Article Link: HomeKit-Enabled Elgato Eve Energy Now Available in the United States

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Like similar solutions, the idea is fantastic however the price is simply too high. The cost of the device itself wouldn't bring a return on investment for the power hopefully saved via the monitoring.

Reactions: kwikdeth

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Like similar solutions, the idea is fantastic however the price is simply too high. The cost of the device itself wouldn't bring a return on investment for the power hopefully saved via the monitoring.

You also get it for the convenience, perhaps.

But $50 is still way too high. $5-10, I'd think about it. $50? Get out.

Wirelesswizzard

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Depends on the use case, once these get to the $30-40 range online they will be pretty accessible. With HomeKit and a humidity sensor or smart thermostat you can turn items like a (dumb) humidifier into smart devices. Instantly you can track usage (believe me it adds up fast in cold climates) and set operating ranges to reduce cost and improve comfort with HomeKit triggers.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
You also get it for the convenience, perhaps.

But $50 is still way too high. $5-10, I'd think about it. $50? Get out.

I would say up to $30 seems reasonable for what you are getting. Just the energy monitoring alone I would pay upto $20

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
is more reliable and suffers from connectivity issues.

Don't get this one if it still suffers from connectivity issues...Regardless, it is still twice the size of some others out there and doesn't even include wifi, although the app is decent.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Needs more sockets per unit. A double-socket model would be better - you could just stick it in front of your regular socket.

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA
This is great, but smart plugs are never going to catch on until the price goes down to less than $20 for each unit. It's just too expensive now for everyone get more than one of. The price will eventually drop, but it'll take a few years. Maybe even by next CES.
[doublepost=1455713951][/doublepost]
A $50 plug to allow you to turn off your lamp with your phone, that's it?

For most smart plugs you can also set times for your lights or appliances to turn on and off or an automatic schedule. This is good if you go on vacation and want a safer way to make it seem like your home (instead of leaving a light on 24/7). For some you can also use it as a dimmer. But yeah, $50 is a lot for it.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I'm interested how well it reports the power usage.

I'm always interested how much power all of my computers use. I use one of those socket things with a readout.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
We use these remote outlets in two households. We set #5 on every remote to be all on or all off (all on emergency, all off used at night). Much easier (and cheaper) than fiddling with your phone or asking Siri only for her to respond that she isn't taking requests right now or that she doesn't understand your request. Pair of remotes in the master for lamps and lighting, one remote in the den for that area. Second ("weekend") household (parents house), pair of remotes in guest suite, one for master one for den.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 148

federico0212

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
A $50 plug to allow you to turn off your lamp with your phone, that's it?
If you have an Amazon echo, it is magical.
I highly recommend Echo by the way.
[doublepost=1455722193][/doublepost]
Needs more sockets per unit. A double-socket model would be better - you could just stick it in front of your regular socket.
They will have to engineer a double cut off system. Because otherwise, you'd end up turning two devices on and off at the same time and that wouldn't work well. Maybe for lamps, but use strips at that point.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
We use these remote outlets in two households. We set #5 on every remote to be all on or all off (all on emergency, all off used at night). Much easier (and cheaper) than fiddling with your phone or asking Siri only for her to respond that she isn't taking requests right now or that she doesn't understand your request. Pair of remotes in the master for lamps and lighting, one remote in the den for that area. Second ("weekend") household (parents house), pair of remotes in guest suite, one for master one for den.

How many remotes can you have for these sockets?
What is their range?
How do you pair in and pair out?

Interesting concept for sure. I have a remote similar to this for the Christmass tree and I think I could use this for two fans and a night light.

But I still need to have timed on/off for two areas (different times, tried to use digital timer and could never program it).

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
They will have to engineer a double cut off system. Because otherwise, you'd end up turning two devices on and off at the same time and that wouldn't work well. Maybe for lamps, but use strips at that point.

Yeah, but the overall cost will be lower than two devices because the radios and processing hardware will be shared. The cut-off electronics are going to be a small part of the overall cost.

Source: am electronic engineer

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
How many remotes can you have for these sockets?
What is their range?
How do you pair in and pair out?

Interesting concept for sure. I have a remote similar to this for the Christmass tree and I think I could use this for two fans and a night light.

But I still need to have timed on/off for two areas (different times, tried to use digital timer and could never program it).

They don't have timers. Search google, Amazon or eBay for "etek city outlet." You'll find plenty of info. Unlimited remotes, unlimited outlets. Like I said we have #5 as all on and all off. For about 15 outlets. No timers though, we use timers for lights that need a schedule.

-cMc-

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2016
Cohasset, MA
They don't have timers. Search google, Amazon or eBay for "etek city outlet." You'll find plenty of info. Unlimited remotes, unlimited outlets. Like I said we have #5 as all on and all off. For about 15 outlets. No timers though, we use timers for lights that need a schedule.

You can now automate these inexpensive RF outlets with a $45 Hook device https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hook-home-automation-on-a-budget#/ with IFTTT integration you can set up triggers and schedules. (Note I have not tried the Hook yet, but considering it)

Reactions: aristobrat

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I have the Eve Room and Weather and am interested in the Energy but I think its priced way to high for what it does. There are a lot of other HomeKit enabled outlets that are less than half that price.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
We use those remote outlets as well, during the holidays. Super easy for turning off the Christmas tree and other holiday decorations.

They work well, and I think their inexpensive price reflects well for the simple functionality that they provide (manual on/manual off).

I'm hoping someone creates a HomeKit-capable hub to control these, so they can be more functional i.e. Triggered individually based on times (i.e. an hour after sunset) and actions (i.e. motion being sensed), as well as grouped so you can control them with more resolution than just ALL ON/ALL OFF.

I really like how HomeKit lets you divide devices up between different homes, zones (Upstairs, Downstairs, Front, Back), and rooms. So I can say "Hey, Siri, turn off all downstairs lights", and all lights downstairs (all rooms, inside and out), turn out. Or I can say "Hey Siri, turn off all Front lights", and just the porch light, garage light, and soffit lights turn out -- everything else remains on. Or create a scene like "Hey Siri, I'm home" which turns on the appropriate lights, pulls the HVAC out of away mode, disarms the alarm, and unlocks the front door. Right now that's all do-able, it's just that the light outlets aren't nearly as cheap as this simple ones.

Regarding being easier, I guess I've have good luck with Siri. I rarely get "can't understands" and can't recall the last time she wasn't taking requests. And now with "Hey Siri" (where it's all voice activated - don't have to touch the phone first), it's become way way way more convenient than having to track down a remote (and if it's the middle of the night and the lights are out, figure out which way the remote is oriented).

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
You can now automate these inexpensive RF outlets with a $45 Hook device https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hook-home-automation-on-a-budget#/ with IFTTT integration you can set up triggers and schedules. (Note I have not tried the Hook yet, but considering it)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hook-home-automation-on-a-budget#/
It shows delivery Dec 2015. So is this funded and selling?

I have backed a few Kickstarters and few were uber cool but most did not deliver at all or deliver sub par.

pralston

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Deepest Darkest France
I have the Elgato Eve Door, Room and Energy, so I'll share my thoughts.

I bought them initially attracted by the integration with Apple Homekit. But it turns out that I didn't really know what Apple HomeKit was at the time and I'm not really sure I even do now???

Anyway, back to Elgatos three products...

Door. I had dreams of it forming part of a Apple Home Kit entry control system. But this Blue Tooth Low Energy crap has useless range and eats batteries for breakfast despite the hype on Elgato's web site. The product lies in my desk drawer gathering dust.

Room. Useful data in the case of my install of a new ventilation system. But eats batteries again. 4 times per year you'll need to change them! If I want to install this permanently one day, I'll want to hook it up to a Power supply somehow.

Energy. Useful data on a water pump I was wondering how much it cost me to run. At least there are no batteries to worry about, but just to spite me, it died after 3months. The little green led/on-off switch seemed to stick. Good after sales service from Elgato/Amazon led to a quick swapout so there was a happy end at least.

Common to all all three is this Apple HomeKit/Bluetooth Low energy spec. I live in a modest sized house but I've never been able to connect with my Ihpone from more than one room away. As for remote access via an AppleTV, no way José. I've wasted too much of my life trying to make it work and I guess I can live without it.

As for the iPhone App, twice now I have loaded the update via the AppStore and had all of my previous config/data wiped away! And after the current update, the app is stuck on some message telling me that the cloud hasn't finished refreshing... Investigating that is still on my todo list :-(

Summary. Nice ideas but it all feels less than mature as an ecosystem. I'll try somewhere else in the future.

I hope this helps someone
Bye
PaulR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.