Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Just picked up the Eufy Cam 2 system at Best Buy and got it all set up and updated. While I was able to get it set up in HomeKit, I'm not showing that it's available yet for HomeKit Secure Video. Every article I can find has said that the latest firmware was supposed to support this since mid April, but I'm not showing these options available yet for my cameras. Is anyone else having these issues?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
HKSV is still in beta. You can ask to join the private beta test by contacting their support (assuming they’re still accepting new additions). It requires signing an NDA.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It does not. Only audio coming in from the Eufy Cam's microphone.
Thanks for that. I wanted to install some but this is a deal breaker since I view all my live streams in the Home app. A one stop shop, which is what HomeKit is supposed to be. I purchased some of the new indoor Eufy cams on preorder and hope this isn’t the case with those too.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks for that. I wanted to install some but this is a deal breaker since I view all my live streams in the Home app. A one stop shop, which is what HomeKit is supposed to be. I purchased some of the new indoor Eufy cams on preorder and hope this isn’t the case with those too.

True, it seems like Eufy has made a lot of promises, but hasn't delivered on everything just yet. Hopefully these things get resolved in future updates.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
True, it seems like Eufy has made a lot of promises, but hasn't delivered on everything just yet. Hopefully these things get resolved in future updates.
Talks of their doorbell cam coming out for HomeKit as well. Rumor was for late June release but one of the prominent HomeKit YouTubers (“HomeKit Authority”) called them direct and they said more likely towards the end of the year. I heard that one before *ahem Netatmo ahem*

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012

They’ve delivered a lot. The problem I see is that as they expand their portfolio of products, they forget about the promises they make. I hope they continue to improve their products. HomeKit needs a serious camera manufacturer in order for it to succeed.
[automerge]1590589079[/automerge]

the indoor ones don’t two way audio in the home app.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
They’ve delivered a lot. The problem I see is that as they expand their portfolio of products, they forget about the promises they make. I hope they continue to improve their products. HomeKit needs a serious camera manufacturer in order for it to succeed.
[automerge]1590589079[/automerge]

the indoor ones don’t two way audio in the home app.
You got yours already? I didn’t even get a shipping confirmation yet. If that’s the case, they’re going back. The Aqara G2H has an imminent release from what I understand and their products have been rock solid for me.
With regards to HomeKit needing a serious camera manufacturer, I think Logitech is the chosen one. They’ve been around with HomeKit since the beginning and the new Logitech Circle View is strictly a HSV camera. Can’t even access them from the Logi app if you wanted to.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Logitech might be the chosen one, but they only offer one model. Two if you count the wireless circle 2. I’m not sure that can last with others coming to market with a lower price point. People tend to purchase based upon price point and availability. Thats why Ring is so dominate, they’re virtually everywhere. Although you can get Ring to work with HomeKit via Homebridge, and I must say it works pretty well considering its not a native HomeKit solution.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Logitech might be the chosen one, but they only offer one model. Two if you count the wireless circle 2. I’m not sure that can last with others coming to market with a lower price point. People tend to purchase based upon price point and availability. Thats why Ring is so dominate, they’re virtually everywhere. Although you can get Ring to work with HomeKit via Homebridge, and I must say it works pretty well considering its not a native HomeKit solution.
Yep, the Logitechs are a little pricey but since they’re indoor/outdoor, they don’t need multiple models. Was surprised they didn’t up the resolution to at least 2k like the rest of the market is trending towards. They were first to offer HSV and since then, the Circle 2 pretty much sold out everywhere quick. They probably saw the market in that and then went with the HSV only Circle View, thusly, charging the “Apple tax.” There was a time when the Circle 2 was getting destroyed on the internet. Even Best Buy stopped selling them. They go on sale a few times a year though. If you think the the Logitech’s are expensive, check out Nest cameras and even Arlo. Goodness Gracious! Even their cheaper ones are up there with Logitech.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Hey guys, just as an update to this thread, the Eufy Cameras now support HKSV. One night the options just came up.

Reactions: d.steve

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Yeah, thanks for updating the thread. Been working...ok...for me. There’s a bit of a start delay for me vs in the HomeBase that should be addressed soon.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Yeah, thanks for updating the thread. Been working...ok...for me. There’s a bit of a start delay for me vs in the HomeBase that should be addressed soon.

Same, I've also had issues between using both the HomeBase 2 and HKSV. I set all my cameras to stream and record in the Home app, as well as in the HomeBase. I believe this caused my cameras to be removed from HKSV as they were no longer able to connect or do anything within the Home app. After resetting everything, I was finally able to see them again the Home app, but I set them as stream only. Now it seems to be working more consistently. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
“stream and record” is pretty much the whole point of hksv. Otherwise it’s just basic HomeKit.

I eventually plan to have it do “stream and record” ie. hksv, disable recording to homebase, and block outbound access to the HomeBase so it can only to go through hksv.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I want to do the same as well. But I feel like that would be cutting off some of the Eufy Cam's features; like 2 way audio, fencing, and bigger storage.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
I want to do the same as well. But I feel like that would be cutting off some of the Eufy Cam's features; like 2 way audio, fencing, and bigger storage.
Yeah, I don’t care so much about 2 way audio and I prefer to use Apple for geofencing.

The best feature for me that I’m losing is motion zones.

But it’s extremely clear to me that you have to choose what’s most important to you: Features or security.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012

It’s odd the 2way audio isn’t part of the home app. Arlo has it working, so not sure what the issue is. Another odd limit is the 4 cameras per base station within the home app. Seems odd when their base station can accommodate 16 cameras.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
It’s odd the 2way audio isn’t part of the home app. Arlo has it working, so not sure what the issue is. Another odd limit is the 4 cameras per base station within the home app. Seems odd when their base station can accommodate 16 cameras.
Agreed on both accounts. It makes me wonder if it’s some kind of concurrent connection requirement that HomeKit imposes.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I don't have experience with other HomeKit compatible cameras, so I'm going based on Eufy. I really enjoy the camera, a lot better than Ring's offering. But HomeKit doesn't appear to allow me to set motion/activity zones, adjust sensitive, two way audio, siren, use the cam's AI, etc etc.. So I'm just using the Eufy app, which works very well.. But disappointed with the HomeKit integration, so it's something Eufy can add? Or Apple is the bottleneck here?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I don't have experience with other HomeKit compatible cameras, so I'm going based on Eufy. I really enjoy the camera, a lot better than Ring's offering. But HomeKit doesn't appear to allow me to set motion/activity zones, adjust sensitive, two way audio, siren, use the cam's AI, etc etc.. So I'm just using the Eufy app, which works very well.. But disappointed with the HomeKit integration, so it's something Eufy can add? Or Apple is the bottleneck here?

It’s probably on both parties. Eufy can add the two audio and probably the siren function. I have they siren function in homebridge from my ring camera. The zones should be native to iOS, but it’s not. apple needs to add that functionality, hopefully with ios14 we see that.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
What's the battery life: HKSV vs eufy base recording?

It will matter for some until they come out with a solar charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.