Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

HomePod Beta 2 Adds Option to Select New Default Services for Music, Podcasts and Audiobooks

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has provided HomePod beta software to a selection of AppleSeed testers, and today released a second version of the HomePod update alongside iOS 14 beta 2.

The second HomePod software beta update adds an option to select a new default service for Apple Music, Podcasts, and Audiobooks as noted on Twitter and the MacRumors forum.

Apple at WWDC did not publicly announce the new option that will allow other music services to be set as the default on the HomePod, but there was a brief mention of the feature on a HomeKit-related slide.

At the current time, third-party music services like Spotify can only be streamed on the ‌HomePod‌ using AirPlay and an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. The new feature will presumably allow Spotify and other music services to be set as the default music service, letting users ask Siri to stream music from Spotify.

Third-party app developers may need to implement support for the HomePod, as Spotify is not listed as an option at the current time.

Article Link: HomePod Beta 2 Adds Option to Select New Default Services for Music, Podcasts and Audiobooks

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Good move. While I like and use Apple Music, I know plenty more on Amazon Music Prime service included with Amazon Prime membership. Some upgraded to Amazon Music Unlimited ($7.99/month).

What would really get things moving is Apple Music for HomePods tier, similar to Amazon's Single Device Plan ($3.99/month).

Hjupter Cerrud

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Panama
Which is it? You have "beta 1" or you don't? I suspect you do, hence why you're seeing this option.
I do have iOS 14 beta 1, I just found it weird they announced this as new since its been there for couple weeks and without needing HomePod beta software.. unless I'm missing something?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
How could you go back to bluetooth after W1/H1 and AirPlay? It was a sigh of relief to finally rid my house of those standard bluetooth devices.

The W1 & H1 use Bluetooth, they just have a fancy easy way to pair up to each other, but it uses Bluetooth to stream audio from the device to your ears. No reason (that I’m aware of) they couldn’t enable it in HomePod. It already uses Bluetooth to start the initial setup process (bring phone or other iOS device close to HomePod to start and complete the setup process) The Apple ID information and WiFi information is transmitted from the phone/iOS device to HomePod via Bluetooth.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Enjoy the wait. I've been waiting for SiriusXM to add the Siri API for CarPlay since iOS 13 (almost a year). They don't seem to be in any hurry.
SiriusXM CarPlay app is garbage. And it seems like they have zero interest in fixing it.

Dhonk

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
If SiriusXM is included I’ll buy a HomePod.

absolutely. I have 3 homepods, and it’s an extra step having to steam from an iPad. Plus I can’t change the audio settings, which are too base-heavy on HomePod

Last edited:
Reactions: Shing

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Alright, who are you, and what did you do with the real Apple?!
Anti-trust hearings are a hell of a drug.
[automerge]1594148972[/automerge]
How could you go back to bluetooth after W1/H1 and AirPlay? It was a sigh of relief to finally rid my house of those standard bluetooth devices.
More compatibility is better than less compatibility. It would take almost no effort to enable, and would only be used if the device didn't have the special Apple chips. Why wouldn't you want that ability?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I'd really like to see Google Play / YouTube Music on here, hopefully paving the way for Apple Music to be used on Google Assistant devices. I currently have Google Play Music and a bunch of Minis and Sonos speakers around my house. I'd switch to Apple Music if they ever let Google Assistant work with it.

bjoswald

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Although I use Apple Music, this is a welcome addition for those who do not. Looks like this cycle of updates is getting better and better!

CACTUARU

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
Is this available to all iOS14 Beta 2 users? I’ve updated, but HomePod still shows 13.4.6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.