HomePod HomePod cord is indeed removable

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by 8CoreWhore, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

2. JLOAKS macrumors newbie

JLOAKS

This makes me much more comfortable with my purchase.

3. BananaX, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

4. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

5. AdamA9 macrumors 65816

Gamechanger.
    Someone please verify before I pull mine out ;-)

6. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Well done Apple very well designed, bet you had fun keeping it a secret.

7. clauzzz203, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

Explanation before anyone gets hurt:
    I needs to have a way to be plugged in so that factory workers can assemble it.

Case A:
    - user is told cable is removable
    - user pulls hard and removes cable
    - user potentially damages the wires inside since it's a tiny bit of plastic withstanding that much force
    - user does not see visible damage
    - user plugs it back in
    - after some time the wires may short and cause a fire
    - apple is sued for not preventing etc bla bla

Case B:
    - user is told cable is not removable
    - Apple service center remove it by pulling hard
    - Apple service center makes sure to dispose of the potentially damaged cable
    - Apple service center plugs in a new cable

Because we live in 2018 where people eat detergent pods while knowing full well they are not safe for a human body, a user can not be trusted to respect a warning to dispose of old calbes.

Edit: btw this movie is really turning into a documentary :)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So it is, but then seeing that video and the amount of force to pull it, I'm not comfortable even attempting it. I was at the apple store and I gave the display model a decent amount of force on the cord to see if the cable would come out and it wouldn't. Now that I see the video, I was not giving the attempt anywhere near the amount of effort needed to remove it. Yikes, at least this one question has been answered.

9. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

Case C - Apple provides a cable so people can remove it easily to
    - make it easy to do cable management (need a big hole in furniture for EU plugs and even bigger for UK plugs )
    - easy fo change from EU to UK and visa versa when people move countries without having to use adapter plugs
    - easy to buy cables of different (optimum) lengths with pre fitted plugs.

10. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Great, but why are people so bothered? It needs to be plugged in to work.

11. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

If you read the thread there are examples as to why its useful having a removable cable.

12. bopajuice, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I think the device would become obsolete before the power cord needs to be replaced. I've had 30 year old audio gear with a fully functioning power cord. Thats usually the last thing to go. It would only be replaced if it becomes brittle. So what's all the chatter about? Never seen a forum so excited just to unplug a power cord.

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Removable cord means 3rd party battery power ;)

14. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

A battery pack with a built in AC to DC converter to charge the battery, and a DC to AC converter to plug into the HomePod. That will be interesting to see.

15. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

How about, like in my situation, I have purchased one from the U.K. (where I’m from), to be used in Spain (where I live).
    Once the EU start getting these there is a chance I can swap it out for an EU cord.

Or

I can have multiple cords plugged in various location in my house and simply unplug from the HomePod, move, plug back in, making HomePod a bit more portable for the home (especially if plugged in to awkward to reach sockets, such as behind furniture)

Just some thoughts.

16. weeesss macrumors regular

My wife and I foster dogs, and I have replaced may MacBook power adapter 3x from dogs chewing on it. A removal cable would be a plus for me.

17. csurfr macrumors 68020

I believe it was stated by Apple that the stores would carry replacement cords for the HomePod.

18. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

Aside from puppies chewing cords (done that); and purchasing additional cords to keep plugged in so that just the device can be moved around (laptop charger cords plugged in at the ready in the kitchen, office, and master bedroom);
    I have several countertop areas where we have installed grommets for cords to go down to the outlet inside the cabinet to keep it looking nice and clutter free, e.g., lamp cords. Since I will use a HP in the kitchen on a countertop, I would not want to run a cord down the front of a cabinet, or take up the outlet used for cooking appliances behind the counter. Having a removable Home Pod cord means I can use the outlet inside the cabinet, then run the HP Cord up through the grommet. If I move that same HP to the office area, the kitchen cord can stay down inside the cabinet while I move only the HP to the office where I have an identical cord waiting with the same set up.

19. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

While the cord is removable, we don't yet know how robust the connector inside is. It's not designed for thousands of cycles. Maybe it can handle it but I'd keep it to a minimum.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple is advising to NOT remove the cord from the back of the HomePod.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...but-warns-they-should-not-be-removed.2105697/

The HomePod includes a built-in power cable that should not be removed.

In the rare instance that the cable is detached or damaged, do not attempt to remove or plug it back into HomePod. If the cable is removed or impaired, damage could have occurred to the cable or the internal components of HomePod.”

21. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

--- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Thanks 8Core and Relentless for the heads up! Back to Plan B. I may gently remove the cord one time to get it through the grommet but then leave the speaker in the same place.