HomePod Estimated to Have 3 Million Sales and 6% Market Share in United States

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 2, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The installed base of smart speakers in the United States, including the Amazon Echo, Google Home, and HomePod, has reached a combined 50 million units, according to research firm Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

[​IMG]

CIRP estimates that, of that installed base, the HomePod has increased its market share to six percent as of the second quarter of 2018, ending June 30, implying that HomePod sales have now crossed three million in the United States.

By comparison, the Amazon Echo has 70 percent market share in the United States, with the Google Home at 24 percent, so the HomePod has significant ground to make up, which is to be expected since it only launched this past February, two to three years after its biggest competitors.

Even now, the HomePod is only available in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, France, and Germany.

[​IMG]

Josh Lowitz, Partner and Co-Founder of CIRP, suggested that it may be difficult for Apple to gain additional market share among smart speakers, unless it releases a more competitively priced model. HomePod is priced at $349, while the Amazon Echo starts at $50, and the Google Home is regularly $129.
    Back in April, well-connected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple was "mulling" a "low-cost version" of the HomePod, potentially due to shipments of the current version potentially being "far below market expectations."

A report out of China said the lower-cost HomePod could be priced between $150 and $200, although it's unclear what tradeoffs would be made to achieve that price point. Most reviews agree the HomePod sounds great, but isn't so smart, so it's hard to envision that Apple would compromise on sound quality.

A few months ago, another Chinese report said the lower-priced HomePod could actually be a Siri-enabled Beats speaker.

Apple doesn't disclose HomePod sales, instead grouping it under its "Other Products" category in its earnings reports, alongside the Apple Watch, Apple TV, AirPods, Beats, iPod touch, and accessories. In May, research firm Strategy Analytics estimated HomePod shipments totaled 600,000 in the first quarter.

CIRP said its findings are based on its survey of 500 owners of the Amazon Echo, Google Home, or HomePod in the United States, who owned one of these devices as of June 30, 2018. The survey was conducted between July 1 and July 18.

Article Link: HomePod Estimated to Have 3 Million Sales and 6% Market Share in United States

2. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

3. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I will buy one the minute they get it down to $199. If they have to sacrifice a little sound quality and call it a HomePod Mini to get it done, I'm okay with that. But that's the sweet spot price point, in my opinion.

I mainly just want a way to control HomeKit when my phone is in the other room. My Series 2 watch does the job, but it's far too slow to respond for it to be useful right now.

4. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Yeah when its $199 that’ll be a wrap

$349 is prohibitive for people that just want to wet their feet without eroding funds for their next iPhone :p

5. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

It seems odd to compare sales of a $350 speaker to Amazon’s offerings, which if I recall, have occasionally sold for one tenth that price.

6. citysnaps macrumors 601

Especially considering the huge difference in sound quality, which is what HomePod is about.

7. HobeSoundDarryl, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    This as a family of products has great potential. I bet there are more stand-alone speakers in the world than even smart phones.

Hopefully Apple will try, try again. Maybe:
    • hear the dominant gripes about this crack at it,
    • build closely-related products that segments are trying to make this cover too,
    • opt for more consumer utility/flexibility over "lock 'em in as tight as we can" strategy, and
    • take a lesson or two (or seven) from quality competitors that have been at this for many more years.
    I know they CAN do all that. The question is will they?

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Love mine

Bought a 2nd yesterday

No surprise sales are a lot better after air play 2 and stereo pairing is out

Plus calendar appointments and phone calls coming soon..it’s certainly on the up and getting better with time.

9. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

This a comparison doesn't make any sense. What do the numbers look like if you remove the Echo Dot?

10. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Hmm I think a better comparison would be comparing market share with Sonos. Homepod’s selling point is it’s sound quality, not really it’s smart capabilities. The lines are blurring a bit, though, with Sonos embracing Echo.

11. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

A mediocre, inflexible, and expensive lifestyle product selling far below market expectations?

Shocking!

12. Mac Fly (film), Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018

Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Had Apple a HomePod mini in the marketplace your statement would make a lot more sense. For now, this is Apple’s assistant speaker so I think it’s fair to say it is in competition with others on the market, regardless of price.

Fair scenario: “I was considering a speaker from Apple, but it’s too expensive, I’m going to get this other one instead and save a bunch of money”. (and become the product)

When Siri is a bit better Apple should consider a HomePod mini. But wouldn’t surprise me if we never see one, despite rumours to the contrary.

13. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Whose expectations? Why is it mediocre?

14. pete2106 Suspended

pete2106

Can you use Siri to access Spotify on it yet?

15. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502a

A dumb comment with little substance or supportive commentary, on MacRumors?

Shocking!

16. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

A sad view of Apple and their products on MR. Not shocking. HomePod has some plus points. I don’t think your encapsulation is fair. Siri shortcuts is very powerful and will improve Siri is many expected ways going forward. HomePod is getting calls and timers, two pain points for some people that are being rectified quickly. And Siri will continue improving under new leadership now. HomePod is expensive, yes, but the one and only area where it cannot improve (build and audio quality) are excellent.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It's expensive for all of it's limitations. Unless you are 100% Apple ecosystem and won't purchase services or devices from any other company it makes no sense. I found a discounted LG WK7 "with Meridian Technology" Google Home speaker which sounds excellent for $89 on eBay. Granted this thing retails for $199 so maybe I just got lucky, but it sounds pretty good for a fraction of the cost. There are many good sounding Amazon or Google options coming from many different companies like Sony, LG, JBL, Sonos, etc. You aren't forced to buy Google or Amazon's products. Also I have way more choices when it comes to having voice controlled streaming music. With the HomePod it's Apple music only. The HomePod is a good sounding speaker, but it's too limited for it's price IMHO.

18. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I hesitated for a while, but I love both of mine. Sounds great, Siri has been great, HomeKit and automation have been perfect. I replaced 3 Echo's with 2 HomePod's and haven't looked back.

19. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Even if I could it doesn't matter to me since I'm very happy with AM.

20. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Ah, the classic ad hominem . . .

It sounds mediocre, doesn't play well with anything but Apple Music, and costs at least twice what it should for the performance and features on offer.

21. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

I'm interested in a product like this, but I will NEVER buy Apple-only services locked device.

22. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

I'd buy one $199, even if that meant smaller/cheaper components if it did more. Why can't a HomePod control my Apple TV yet?

23. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I have a $30 Dot. Plugged into an astonishingly good set of speakers.

Can HomePoo do that?

Oh, I guess not. Audio jack is old tech.

Apple jumped the shark long ago at that Beats moment.

24. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

Apple is murdering everything “mini”.
    So I do not see them releasing HomePod mini

25. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502a

Your definition of ad hominem needs some work. In any case, not sure why you would expect differently when your comment was a one-liner lacking any substantive argument.

Subjective.

Now you’re actually trying!

This is also rather subjective. One could say the competition should be cheaper for what they offer (relatively little if being charitable, in my opinion), but I’d expect them to back that up. Which I will. These devices don’t do anything I can’t do with my phone, which is always in my pocket anyway.

Edit: Derped my bbcode