Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Well after 24 hours I think mines going back. Im not convinced on the sound of it, it just seems a bit flat. For me personally I don't think its worth £319.

I totally get the reviews saying it sounds a bit muddy, for me I'd be inclined to agree.

I might give the Sonos One a go (or even 2 for a similar price!). The father in law has one so might see if I can borrow it for a few days to give it a try.

I know sound is very subjective and Im not overly interested in technical data, audiophile reviews etc, I just want to listen to music on a speaker that sounds good to me!

Cheers.

Just out of interest, where had you put it? And did you try moving it?

Like you, I was unconvinced when I first tried it, but then I moved it to another place in the room, and for it to be about 2 inches from the wall with an open plan in front and it made a world of difference. I've seen videos that say it uses walls behind it to bounce sound against. This, I think, was my initial problem that it was in the middle of a counter between my kitchen and dining room so just sending sound out, rather than bouncing some of that out from the walls.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I know it's usually the most overlooked item, but even the power cord looks and feels premium. When I opened the box and unwrapped the power cord I couldn't help but think about the people that designed and put together that piece of cardboard holding it, down to where the prongs go into it. Something so trivial as a piece of cardboard is thought out. Impressive.

Funny I commented on the same thing to my wife.... She was riveted :rolleyes: Before pondering how much people get paid to design such good packaging.

Quick thoughts after a couple of days listening.

I am pretty impressed with the sound quality (in context, we’re not replacing a HiFi here) it’s light years ahead of my 2nd generation Echo.

For the most part I’m happy with the output, it sometimes has a bit too much bass but nothing I can’t live with for what it is.

A couple of things that impressed me initially were the opening of Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here. Even the subtle sounds of fingers on frets sounds just like when I play it on guitar.

Switching to something I know the sound of inside out, in lots of circumstances. A couple of albums from a band I used to roadie with and from a solo artist I still work with. The HomePod did a sterling job of reproducing the subtleties of the percussion and horns, with just the right amount of bass coming through. The trademark husky voice of the soloist/ex frontman for the band came through brilliantly, I’d have sworn I was in the room with him playing away on his 12 string.

It’s not a sound that will please everyone, but if you’re looking for a more purist flat sound, you’re looking at the wrong things anyway. Get yourself a decent pre/power amp and a nice pair of monitors instead.

But if you’re like me and suffer from a wife who won’t let you have your HiFi setup in the lounge because it takes up too much room and the floorstanders are “ugly” she doesn’t know what she’s talking about :D and you have to have that in a different room. Then the HomePod is a nice little compromise.

As far as the smart features go. Obviously it has nowhere near the amount of integration yet of its competitors. But that’s not much of an issue for me. I want it to play music and control my HomeKit gear. I’m not interested in it farting or burping at me, I have friends who’ll do that.
I’ve never used the Echo to order food, or Uber’s or anything else for that matter, I like to see what I’m buying.
I’ve never ever used the Echo for calls or text due to privacy issues. I’m actually more inclined to use Siri for that than any other product.

I know lots of people will want more smarts than the HomePod currently delivers though. So to them I’d say either wait until they arrive, buy something your more happy with, or take the plunge and have faith that more will arrive, because they will.

One of my favourite things, other than the sound. Is that I don’t have to scream at the top of my voice to be heard over music, television or even some conversations like I had to with my Echo. The HomePod is just amazing at recognising my voice and getting it right. Even when I’m in the kitchen. There’s an opening between the kitchen and the lounge, but it’s not direct line of sight to the HomePod yet it very often picks up what I ask.

There’s a lot of competition and right now the HomePod is in my opinion a great sounding music speaker with a few smarts and a lot of potential. But as seems to be par for the course with Apple these days with new release products, we have to wait a bit for the rest of that potential to be realised.

Last edited:

deeside81

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2018
Well after 24 hours I think mines going back. Im not convinced on the sound of it, it just seems a bit flat. For me personally I don't think its worth £319.

I totally get the reviews saying it sounds a bit muddy, for me I'd be inclined to agree.

I might give the Sonos One a go (or even 2 for a similar price!). The father in law has one so might see if I can borrow it for a few days to give it a try.

I know sound is very subjective and Im not overly interested in technical data, audiophile reviews etc, I just want to listen to music on a speaker that sounds good to me!

Cheers.

I couldn’t really put a finger on it but it sounds muffled. Uh so disappointed. Once you’ve heard a great sounding sound system you will obviously be disappointed. I have 14 days to return and still debating it. The reason I asked earlier if the EQ settings could improve it to the point where it could match the warmth of my S300 is it would help me make my decision to return it or not. Do you think future software updates and maybe the stereo with Airplay 2 will improve the muffled sound?

Advice would be much appreciated.

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
But if you’re like me and suffer from a wife who won’t let you have your HiFi setup in the lounge because it takes up too much room and the floorstanders are “ugly” she doesn’t know what she’s talking about :D and you have to have that in a different room. Then the HomePod is a nice little compromise.
I've mentioned it a couple of times myself... WAF is important when people are commenting on the fact if you want decent sound just get an amp/speakers and not the HP. Sometimes that's simply not a consideration.
I spend most of my time at my girlfriend's house (where the HomePod is), but at my house I have a (5.1) setup with Monitor Audio Radius speakers/Cambridge Audio X300 sub/Yamaha Amp - none of which would be allowed into the living room at hers - aesthetics, etc (even though the gloss white of them looks stunnning).
So, the HomePod is a compromise that works really well for me too.

Reactions: TrueBlou

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I've mentioned it a couple of times myself... WAF is important when people are commenting on the fact if you want decent sound just get an amp/speakers and not the HP. Sometimes that's simply not a consideration.
I spend most of my time at my girlfriend's house (where the HomePod is), but at my house I have a (5.1) setup with Monitor Audio Radius speakers/Cambridge Audio X300 sub/Yamaha Amp - none of which would be allowed into the living room at hers - aesthetics, etc (even though the gloss white of them looks stunnning).
So, the HomePod is a compromise that works really well for me too.

It definitely is, if one wishes to continue spending lots of money on shiny toys, one must keep the other half happy.

On a side note, I’m a fan of Monitor Audio’s myself. Paired up with Arcam it’s my favourite sound.

Reactions: groovyf

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
It definitely is, if one wishes to continue spending lots of money on shiny toys, one must keep the other half happy.
Absolutely!!

I hadn't thought of putting "Wish..." on the HP - been trying so many tunes from a large collection already, so I'm going to give Wish a blast this evening. Your description of it has me somewhat excited.
Would it be rude to ask which band/frontman you're referring to?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Absolutely!!

I hadn't thought of putting "Wish..." on the HP - been trying so many tunes from a large collection already, so I'm going to give Wish a blast this evening. Your description of it has me somewhat excited.
Would it be rude to ask which band/frontman you're referring to?

Not at all, you can ask but the chances of you having heard of them are slim to say the least :D
They’ve had quite a long career in the UK and a tiny bit of airplay in the US and Europe but they’re not particularly well known.

The band’s called Lights out by Nine they’re primarily a rhythm and blues setup (I don’t like their new frontman, he doesn’t sound right to me.) and the soloist/ex-frontman is Al Hughes, he’s primarily a blues man.

If you’re curious, I’d say give the album “Make your Own Luck” for the band and “Heart and Soul” for Al a go.

I wouldn’t change my time with them for anything though. Although the bands pretty small time, they had friends who had a bit more luck than they did.

So we gigged and partied with some of the bands I like from the 70’s like Nazareth, Average White Band, The Animals, Status Quo, The Eagles and loads more. Oh the stories I could tell if it weren’t for the code of the road, to quote Garth Brooks (shut up :D)

Reactions: groovyf

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Here's the link for CR's review https://www.consumerreports.org/smart-speakers/apple-homepod-early-test-results/

The issue with any of these tests as I see it, is that sound is subjective. Other reviews put the HomePod over the Sonos 1, but not by much. I'm not disputing CR's review, just pointing out that I think they're all fairly close to make a clear winner difficult. I'm impressed with what the HomePod can do, sound wise, but I think Alexa as an assistant is superior. I have a couple of echos in my house, and I'm not sure I'm willing to switch over, but I am being tempted :)

This is like some of the comments below the article suggest....

Use the Homepod where it will actually be used so it can calibrate itself and perform like it was designed.
Who uses it in a calibrated music studio that does now allow it to calibrate itself properly?

CR continues to do a dis-service to consumers.....

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Those Sonos look gaudy compared to the HomePod. Striking when you see them in real time and not in marketing.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Just out of interest, where had you put it? And did you try moving it?

Like you, I was unconvinced when I first tried it, but then I moved it to another place in the room, and for it to be about 2 inches from the wall with an open plan in front and it made a world of difference. I've seen videos that say it uses walls behind it to bounce sound against. This, I think, was my initial problem that it was in the middle of a counter between my kitchen and dining room so just sending sound out, rather than bouncing some of that out from the walls.

I also wonder how much someone standing RIGHT in front of the Pod during it's initial calibration might affect things. Maybe it's in my head, but I wasn't happy with the sound the first time, then I moved it a couple inches to trigger recalibration and it sounded a lot better.

Full disclosure: I am NOT an audio nut. This could definitely all be in my head, but I'm fine with that because it sounds good to me now.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I also wonder how much someone standing RIGHT in front of the Pod during it's initial calibration might affect things. Maybe it's in my head, but I wasn't happy with the sound the first time, then I moved it a couple inches to trigger recalibration and it sounded a lot better.

Full disclosure: I am NOT an audio nut. This could definitely all be in my head, but I'm fine with that because it sounds good to me now.

That’s the single most important thing my friend and something no-one can argue with. If it sounds good to you, that’s all that matters, end of.

I like your line of thinking of a body having an effect on the calibration. If the HomePod only does calibration at initial setup and any time it’s moved. Then a lump of human in the way could definitely have an effect.

What I’m going to have to double check now is if the calibration the HomePod does runs constantly or intermittently. If so then someone in the way won’t matter as it’ll be accounted for during playback.
If not I may have to try moving mine so that it runs the checks again and leg it out of the room. Just for curiosity’s sake.
[doublepost=1518626677][/doublepost]
This is like some of the comments below the article suggest....

Use the Homepod where it will actually be used so it can calibrate itself and perform like it was designed.
Who uses it in a calibrated music studio that does now allow it to calibrate itself properly?

CR continues to do a dis-service to consumers.....

I’m not normally one to complain on how a reviewer chooses to perform a test. But I have to agree with some of the comments. Using a dedicated listening room and comparing to “high quality reference speakers” doesn’t do any of these devices any good.

You can’t even put these things into the same category as high quality reference speakers for Christ’s sake. Doesn’t matter if it’s Amazon, Apple, Google or Sonos. They’re a different category all together.

I’m all for getting a base line reference point. I just don’t think that setup is it for any of the smart speakers.

There, I’ve done my grumpy old man bit. Normal service resumes :D

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I'm thinking just move it while it's paused, move to your standard listening position or out of the room all together, then tell it to play.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Another positive first impression from someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about.

http://tingilinde.typepad.com/omenti/2018/02/the-next-step-in-home-audio.html

“I suspect a pair of HomePods will blow my reference pair away when it comes to sound stage placement. That will be even more true for those who haven't carefully adjusted their current speakers with test recordings and a spectrum analyzer. ”

WoW.....thanks for the link.
I think places like CR need to look at stuff like this to see how flawed their testing is.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
For those of us that are using the HomePod with the Apple TV and having the volume low over AirPlay. . . If you are using Infuse as your video player, you can swipe down from the top, go to audio, and turn on "Volume Boost". I have mine set to 200%, and can then turn the HomePod down to about 3/4 and it sounds perfectly fine in my apartment.

Just throwing that out there for you. I didn't notice that this setting existed until I came across it on my iPad the other night.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

On a side note, I’m a fan of Monitor Audio’s myself. Paired up with Arcam it’s my favourite sound.

I lucked out I think. I’ve got floorstanding speakers in the front and even the surrounds and my fiancée doesn’t mind. She even likes putting them through their paces as well.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010

you can give it a quick shake to kick off the calibration again if needed.

Goner259er

Suspended
Feb 11, 2018
I have had mine for 24 hrs now as well and until Siri can do as Alex on echo does I have no need for it. It’s a glorified speaker system for 350 and in my opinion just not worth the price of admission. I have everything else Apple but just can’t seem to like this.

Reactions: steve knight

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I used iTunes for the first time earlier since acquiring my HomePod and when playing a track it almost sounded like the vocals were playing with my iMac's built in stereo speakers whilst the instrumental came from HomePod.

Didn't notice any lags or delayed playback, however.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Has anyone set up multiple HomePods in their house?

I just added one in my bedroom and I notice when music is playing in the Kitchen and I say “Hey Siri” (in my Bedroom) the Kitchen HomePod (which is further away) responds.

When everything is off and I say “Hey Siri” in my bedroom the Bedroom HomePod responds.

My Echo’s were pretty good at determining which one should respond...wondering if people with multiple HomePods could test theirs out. I’m literally walking to the midpoint in the room and saying “Hey Siri” in each direction testing how far each one responds and it seems to change every time.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ

I don't know if it's calibration or simply the fact that the HomePod isn't meant to be a near field speaker. The further I get away from it, the seemingly better it sounds. Filling the room with audio and music instead of being in a sweet spot. There are times I feel like I can almost hear the DSP adjusting to certain frequencies mid-song.

I'm still torn as I feel my Zipp is more accurate but the HomePod is more comfortable to listen to. I'd prefer the Zipp for a party but the HomePod for easy listening. More room tests to follow.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know if it's calibration or simply the fact that the HomePod isn't meant to be a near field speaker. The further I get away from it, the seemingly better it sounds. Filling the room with audio and music instead of being in a sweet spot. There are times I feel like I can almost hear the DSP adjusting to certain frequencies mid-song.

I'm still torn as I feel my Zipp is more accurate but the HomePod is more comfortable to listen to. I'd prefer the Zipp for a party but the HomePod for easy listening. More room tests to follow.

That's what I found testing it at the Apple store. Up close it sounded muddy, but when you step away it improved. My wife asked how is this better than the Echo or Play 3. Then she named an artist and album to play and she started signing.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
OK, just picked up my first HomePod from the Apple store yesterday.......
Ordered it online so I could get a few bucks off on company discount......but turned out they only will discount the AppleCare on new product releases, which I didn't get.

Anyway.....I read this whole thread before purchase. :p
Boy o Boy, I love this thing......sound is excellent and I love the looks and functionality.

Looking to purchase a second unit for stereo when Apple comes out with that update.
Expensive but worth it IMHO....

Got my Bose Revolve + Plus speakers for sale on eBay. :)

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I’m really disappointed in the delay when using the HomePod with a Mac. Apple should have included a line in. There’s a noticeable delay.

If you’re watching video via iTunes, there’s a slight delay, the delay is terrible with non a Apple video player. Dialogue is completely out of sync.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
my wife liked the home pod but after she listened to the same sources on her other stereos and such she was less enchanted as was I. its not that we did not enjoy it but she did not find it as clear and just not as nice as she thought plus siri has been glitchy then not working on and off.
she wanted a airplay speaker for streaming netflix and podcasts and such and sonos is not practical for that. so she decided to return it and go for a B&O Beoplay M5 I would expect it to be better since it is almost twice the cost. but the sound is worth it. the bass blows away the home pod and makes things on the table vibrate. but it is clear and fills the room. though the software pretty much sucks. it worked great for the bluetooth B&O speakers my wife has but on her iphone it had issues connecting to the speaker after it updated. the iPad it connected fine. but it is not much needed since airplay and bluetooth are how she would use it. home pod is a pretty good speaker for the price for sure but my wife needs bluetooth sometimes and airplay. she has given up on apple music anymore so it is pretty limited. but B&) says these could never truly be stereo if you pair them and I bet the home pod would be the same. the m5 does have a front facing midrange and the makes a difference compared to the home pod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.