HomePod forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Julien, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have you decided if HomePod will get it's own forum or integrated into an existing forum? It would be nice to get it listed so coherent discotiob could start.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It should fit nicely into the "HomeKit, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology" forum. I doubt there'll be enough discussion to warrant a seperate forum, if HomeKit can't even do it alone.

3. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

This is a bloody ridiculous thing to say. I have no idea why people on this forum are trying to deny that the HomePod exists. It's an entirely new product category from Apple, a brand new product that needs a dedicated forum section. If they seriously try to bury it under the Home forum, MacRumors will have lost even more of its already low credibility. Can you name another Apple HARDWARE product that doesn't have a forum section? Cause I can't.

--- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    We need one, but most people here seem to be trying to deny its existence. Glad I'm not the only one fighting for this.

4. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Shouldn't it at least be added to the Header so people know where to go?

5. JarScott, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

No because then they'd have to admit it exists, they don't want to do that. I've emailed HQ about it, I'll let you know what ridiculous response I get.
    HomeKit is not a product, it's an API. HomePod is a brand new product. I can't believe any of us are having to fight for this, it seems a given that a new product from Apple would get its own forum section.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Just a thought: What about a HomePod & AirPlay forum?

Looks like Apple is going to be making an attempt to control ALL home audio and the HomePod is likely just the first model/step, We could see Apple making 2 to 5.1 channel systems using HomePods and other models (Beats or Apple) like subwoofers, sound bars, rear speakers, small bedroom clock/radio type HomePod's to be added over the next few years if the HomePod is successful. It may turn out that it is more appropriate under Apple TV. Still I can see it is somewhat ambiguous as to what the HomePod is supposed to be, going to be and its eventual use will be.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Just because you can't grasp it, doesn't mean it isn't the best idea.

Now *that's* a ridiculous thing to say!

Why? So we can clutter the forum up with subforums for no apparent reason, each containing 20 topics of product X?

This is just a mind blowingly stupid statement.

Every single Apple accessory in existence. You know, like the HomePod.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No on is trying to deny that the HomePod exists.

Airpods
    Apple Cinema Display
    Time Capsule.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We get similar requests every time a new type of product is released and if we granted every single request without proper consideration we would probably now have hundreds of forums cluttering up the site. Here's a recent example from when Apple announced the AirPods.

Can we get a forum section for the Airpods?

For now, discussion should continue to be made in the HomeKit, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology forum. If we eventually decide a separate HomePod forum or sub-forum is necessary all existing threads will be moved there and if we don't they will already be in the correct place.

10. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

How about renaming Home to HomePod in the title since HomeKit already coves Home and rearranging to keep consistency?

HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay & Audio Technology or CarPlay, HomeKit, HomePod & Audio Technology

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Adding HomePod to the forum title could be an option but we'll probably keep the reference to Home because the forum also covers non-HomeKit home automation products.

12. JarScott, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017

JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

By your logic, the Apple TV is also just an accessory. Is it? And yet it has its own forum section...
    Not even on the same level as the HomePod. Those are just wireless headphones. This is an entire home entertainment system with Siri built in, and many more features coming in the future. I just feel MacRumors are short changing the product. HomePod is as significant a product category as Apple TV...which has its own forum section. But whatever, as always, you guys know better than anybody else. :rolleyes:

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No decision has been made so I don't understand why you are getting so worked up about this.

The request for a new forum will be given proper consideration by the site administrators and moderators but this may take a while to get everyone's input onboard. The product release is still months away so there is no immediate rush and we've instructed where you should post HomePod discussions in the meantime.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Good job grasping at straws.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The "HomeKit, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology" forum title has been changed to "HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology".

Thank you for your suggestion.

16. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

Airport Express. Time Capsule. Xserve RAID. Mighty Mouse. Magic Mouse. Magic Trackpad. Siri Remote. AirPods. Thunderbolt Display.

Oh, yeah. And the iPod Hi-Fi! :D

There's no need to jump the gun. CarPlay doesn't have its own forum, and it's present in more locations than HomePod is, at the moment. I think the moderators can figure out how to move threads over to a new forum should the traffic warrant it.