Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
my iPhone X won’t connect during setup and I get an error that says incompatible WiFi must be on WPA/WPA2. Which it is. It’s a starry WiFi and it’s excellent. My iPad will connect to it and setup but although the home settings get rolled over to the X. It won’t play with the HomePod. Very frustrated !! Any tips?

Attachments

• 946954A6-F01A-4D76-A750-0E4C3C47965A.jpeg
    946954A6-F01A-4D76-A750-0E4C3C47965A.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,873

unclepc

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
my iPhone X won’t connect during setup and I get an error that says incompatible WiFi must be on WPA/WPA2. Which it is. It’s a starry WiFi and it’s excellent. My iPad will connect to it and setup but although the home settings get rolled over to the X. It won’t play with the HomePod. Very frustrated !! Any tips?

I am having the same issue with my iphone 8. I also have an iphone 6s and I was able to get homepod setup using the iphone 6s. The iphone 6s & 8 connects to the same wi-fi, which is wpa2 network.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
I am having the same issue with my iphone 8. I also have an iphone 6s and I was able to get homepod setup using the iphone 6s. The iphone 6s & 8 connects to the same wi-fi, which is wpa2 network.
Thanks for replying. After you connected via your 6s was your 8 able to connect with full functionality?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Is your router set to wpa2 or wpa/wpa2, a dual band 5G or 2.4, are both phones connected to same band, the specs for home pod doesn’t specify bands.

litigator

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Having the same problem. Changed wifi to wpa/wpa2 personal. iPhone X giving exact same error message. Reset router, etc.

davesmall

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2007
I'm having the same problem setting up HomePod. The message is: Incompatible WiFi, must be WPA2. My router is furnished by AT&T and is WPA2 Personal. I have rebooted the HomePod, Modem, and my iPhone X. What to do???

litigator

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Got it to work. I have a guest wifi network at home. Once I logged into the guest wifi network on my phone it synced with that network through the iPhone X.

.animal

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
New Jersey
i just got it to work by using my ipad pro. worked flawlessly. didnt make any changes to network, etc. iphone x was bring up the error. ipad worked.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I suspect that they're enforcing some more-strict-than-usual security standards with respect to Wi-Fi networks due to the nature of the product (always-on microphone, HomeKit access, etc).

Reactions: profets

nathanwburke

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Cape Cod
Having the same issue myself with my Eero wifi setup. It uses WPA2 Personal, but I'm getting the same 'incompatible wi-fi" error that won't let me set up the HomePod. Super frustrating and I've tried with an iPhone 7+, an iPhone 7 and two iPads. No luck. Talked with Eero support to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and they assured me they're using WPA2 Personal.

I've also tried all the tricks people are using on the apple thread on the issue (restart, try using a guest network, etc.), but nothing works. Was really looking forward to this being a great sounding product So far, it's a nice paperweight!

Chuck SaaS

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Having the same issue. iPhone X and iPad Pro (both running latest betas) can't setup homepod. I've got a standard configured Google Wifi unit with WPA2 Personal

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
i just got it to work by using my ipad pro. worked flawlessly. didnt make any changes to network, etc. iphone x was bring up the error. ipad worked.
Does you’re X have full HomePod functionality after setting up via the IPP?

jrunyan01

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Okay, got it work by unplugging HomePod, changing the Wi-Fi settings to to disable both auto-join and auto login, plugged the HomePod back in, and wella, no more Wi-Fi incompatibility.

I had this same problem. This fix worked for me too. Thanks!

Reactions: wprivera

exquisitecvboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Holbrook, Ma
Was just on apple support for a couple hours and the solution for me was to add it as an accessory through the home app. i tried changing wifi settings and all and it didnt work, but adding it as an accessory through the the app allowed it to finally pass through the set up portion.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Almost two hours on the phone with Apple. No fix. Furthermore the wifi on my X no longer works. Apple will call back tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile I have to wipe and reinstall from backup. This is painful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.