HomePod Launches February 9, Available to Order Starting Friday in United States, UK, and Australia

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its HomePod speaker will be released on Friday, February 9, with orders beginning Friday, January 26 via Apple's online store or the Apple Store app in the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom.

Apple added that HomePod will launch in France and Germany at some point "this spring," but hasn't provided release dates for other countries like Canada.

[​IMG]

HomePod is priced at $349 in the United States, £319 in the United Kingdom, and $499 in Australia. The speaker will be available in White or Space Gray from Apple Stores and at select resellers in each country, such as Best Buy in the United States, John Lewis and EE in the UK, and Harvey Norman and Telstra in Australia.

Apple has primarily positioned the HomePod as a speaker that can stream Apple Music, but with built-in Siri, users can send messages, set timers, play podcasts, check the news and weather, control HomeKit-enabled smart home accessories, and complete other tasks without needing to take out their iPhone.

The high-fidelity speaker is equipped with spatial awareness and Apple-engineered audio technology, including a seven-tweeter array and high-excursion woofer. The nearly seven inch tall speaker is powered by Apple's A8 chip.

Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller:
    Apple said a software update coming later this year will enable users with more than one HomePod to play music throughout their homes with multi-room audio via its AirPlay 2 protocol. And if there's more than one HomePod placed in the same room, the speakers will be able to detect each other and deliver stereo sound.

[​IMG]

HomePod is compatible with iPhone 5s or newer, any iPad Pro, iPad Air or newer, iPad mini 2 or newer, and the sixth-generation iPod touch running iOS 11.2.5, which remains in beta testing, or later software versions.

HomePod is Apple's answer to the Amazon Echo and Google Home. The speaker was originally set to be released in December, but Apple delayed the launch, and missed out on sales during the holiday shopping season in the process.

Article Link: HomePod Launches February 9, Available to Order Starting Friday in United States, UK, and Australia

2. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Finally umma need at least 2 for my House iTunes gonna be lit

3. windywalks macrumors 6502

4. macman01101 macrumors member

Does anyone know if the cord is built in or detaches?

5. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

About time.

I'll probably replace my Google Home with one of these.

6. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Very cool. I’d like to see this in the store prior to purchase.

7. rpat701 macrumors regular

Another assistant loaded speaker that is really not needed.

8. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Cool. Wish they’d given us a time for the preorder haha. Assuming regular time. Can’t wait!

9. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

I'm getting 3 of those, two for my man cave and one for the living room. I hope they work well together.
    Super exciting news for once!

10. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

£319 in the UK...

Expensive, but I think I might pre-order it :)

I have tons of homekit devices so I've been waiting for it.

11. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

We really need to see everything this thing can do. I'm really interested in it but if it's just a glorified speaker it'll be a while before I buy one. HOWEVER, if it's an echo like device...well, that's something I'd preorder. We just don't know what it can do.

12. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

If the power is wired only, then that's a deal-breaker for me. I'll keep my Bose SoundLink Mini.

13. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but most of the time, these things detach. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it was just another lightning cable.

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Too bad not in my country. At least I can read all the reviews before I order.

15. johngordon macrumors 68000

I thought we did know it was an echo like device?

I'm OK with it being a decent speaker that can easily play stuff from Apple Music, using the phone as a remote to select music. That to me is a good use case scenario that will be used almost daily. Asking Siri about something, far less so.

16. gretafour macrumors regular

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless they drastically improve Siri, I don't think it will offer the same level of services.

18. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I really don't get the point of this products and its competitors.

19. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

20. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

It would be cool if it were battery powered.

21. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can actually snag one for 79 if you time it right, Amazon seems to discount it often and that's the issue I have. I'm happy with my Echo, what does the the HomePod give me that the Echo doesn't? Especially given the exorbitant pricing

23. ayale99 macrumors 6502

No multi-room audio yet. From the press release...

"Coming this year in a free software update, users will be able to play music throughout the house with multi-room audio."

24. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hopefully some more details get released before Friday.

25. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I'll keep my Bose SoundLink Mini also. And pre-order a HomePod. No one said I had to get rid of the first to get the second.