Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The HomePod mini was released to customers two years ago this week, marking the first addition to the HomePod family since the original speaker launched in 2018. Two years after its release, the HomePod lineup has remained relatively stagnant, but that's set to change in 2023.

homepod-mini-color-bars.jpg

When Apple announced the HomePod mini in October 2020, the original full-sized HomePod remained in the lineup. In March 2021, however, Apple discontinued the full-sized HomePod, saying it wanted to dedicate more time to the HomePod mini. The HomePod mini addressed several of the biggest concerns from customers about the original HomePod, including size and price. Unlike the original HomePod, the HomePod mini costs $99 and comes in a wider variety of color options.

Now, as the HomePod mini turns two, we look to the future and what Apple has in store.

Resurrection of Full-Sized HomePod

HomePod-Crash-Feature.jpg

The biggest HomePod news we're expecting in the near future is a resurrection of the original full-sized HomePod. When Apple discontinued the original HomePod, many speculated the reason for the decision came down to the HomePod's $299 price tag and its lack of features, which led to lackluster sales.

For 2023, Apple is expected to launch an updated version of the full-sized HomePod it discontinued to fill the current gap in the HomePod lineup. The newer HomePod is rumored to feature the S8 chip from the Apple Watch Series 8, providing faster performance for Siri requests and different features.

Other features could include a larger multi-touch display at the top, but the overall form factor and design are expected to stay the same. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects the new HomePod to launch in the first quarter of next year.

An Updated HomePod mini

homepod-mini-five-colors.jpg

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple could update the HomePod mini in the near future, but specific details are unknown. The current HomePod mini is powered by the S5 chip, the same chip found in the Apple Watch Series 5 and the first-generation Apple Watch SE. In a hypothetical update, Apple could include a newer and faster chip, allowing for faster processing of Siri requests and features like Handoff.

Apple TV and HomePod Combo

AppleTV-and-HomePod-Feature.jpg

A HomePod product that's still under early development is an Apple TV and HomePod combo, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Gurman reports that Apple is developing a HomePod speaker that includes the functionality of the Apple TV, offering an all-in-one TV entertainment system with a display. The product is also reported to have a camera, possibly allowing for FaceTime and video calls. No other details are known at this time as the product launch is likely a while away, assuming it launches at all.

What would you like to see in a future HomePod product? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: HomePod Mini Turns Two as Apple Looks to Expand Lineup Next Year

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
The chink in the chain is Siri, if they don't expand Siri to be on par with Alexa then it will always be a very limited smart speaker. I am sure they sound great, but all the smart speakers sound good now and really only the picky audiophiles are going to really appreciate the moderately better speakers. Not sure why Apple would be looking to expand when they have been going the opposite direction. Do they discontinue a MacBook or iMac before they come out with a new one?

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Well good luck getting original adopters of the mini to buy new ones after the joke that is Siri and HomeKit on them. Those were the main selling points and they borked both with software updates. All that’s left after that is $100 mediocre speaker.

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
all the smart speakers sound good now and really only the picky audiophiles are going to really appreciate the moderately better speakers
I've heard quite a few popular smart speakers, from Sonos to B+W etc, and for the money, nothing beat the original Homepod. Sonos in particular is a very overrated brand imo. Sound quality is important; at this sort of price point, many alternatives are dreadful. Apple had a winning product there. The prices of used Homepods are testament to their actual popularity.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
The chink in the chain is Siri, if they don't expand Siri to be on par with Alexa then it will always be a very limited smart speaker. I am sure they sound great, but all the smart speakers sound good now and really only the picky audiophiles are going to really appreciate the moderately better speakers. Not sure why Apple would be looking to expand when they have been going the opposite direction. Do they discontinue a MacBook or iMac before they come out with a new one?
“All” the “smart speakers” do not sound good. Many of them sound like trash compared to the original HomePod (and a stereo pair of the HomePod minis)

I am still trying to figure out what exactly people want Siri to do that it doesn’t already.

I love how we were all supposed to be impressed that you could “go shopping” on the Amazon Echo. It was a terrible limited experience, but people felt it was beyond Siri’s capabilities so it was cool.

I need an AI assistant for simple things; weather, turn on/off lights, set a timer, etc. Siri does all of this for me. I would like it to be more reliable, but the issue is not in the core functionality.

So, I guess I’m asking why people hate Siri so much.

Cancelled
Apr 15, 2010
Does HomePod work with Spotify like Sonos does? Or is it locked on Apple eccosystem, aka. Apple Music?

• Disagree
Reactions: Lcgiv

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I've heard quite a few popular smart speakers, from Sonos to B+W etc, and for the money, nothing beat the original Homepod. Sonos in particular is a very overrated brand imo. Sound quality is important; at this sort of price point, many alternatives are dreadful. Apple had a winning product there. The prices of used Homepods are testament to their actual popularity.
Like I said, there are people who are audiophiles and want something they hear that is noticeably better to them. The majority are not audiophiles and the wide rang of products are going to be good enough. I use the Amazon Echo, various models throughout my house. They sound great and have an actual virtual assistant who is not limited.

Not sure if the high used prices really speaks to the popularity of the device itself rather to people who think this might become a rare item and want it like an antique collector. If Apple kills this off completely who knows if there will be some nostalgia value that brings it up even higher 20 years from now. If the product was a winning one I am sure Apple would still be selling them as they would be making money on them, and they are not one to just stop selling if there is money to be made.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
So far this product line still feels like it is missing something to make it standout. There is not really any reason to choose it over another device with Airplay support.

Reactions: dustin_

glaze2

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
  1. How far away from my M1 iMac can I put two HomePod minis ?
  2. Will the HomePod minis work together with the iMac's speakers to play music or instead of the iMac's speakers ?

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
“All” the “smart speakers” do not sound good. Many of them sound like trash compared to the original HomePod (and a stereo pair of the HomePod minis)

I am still trying to figure out what exactly people want Siri to do that it doesn’t already.

I love how we were all supposed to be impressed that you could “go shopping” on the Amazon Echo. It was a terrible limited experience, but people felt it was beyond Siri’s capabilities so it was cool.

I need an AI assistant for simple things; weather, turn on/off lights, set a timer, etc. Siri does all of this for me. I would like it to be more reliable, but the issue is not in the core functionality.

So, I guess I’m asking why people hate Siri so much.
Siri does most things terribly and has only gotten worse. In the last year mine started regularly asking me who is speaking, it stopped working entirely with a bunch of my old automation phrases I used for years. Trying to use certain commands does weird thing like turn on all my kitchen lights or power off the whole house. It’s frustrating more than it ever was. I have 4 HomePod mini and one original and Siri sucks on all

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Like I said, there are people who are audiophiles and want something they hear that is noticeably better to them. The majority are not audiophiles and the wide rang of products are going to be good enough. I use the Amazon Echo, various models throughout my house. They sound great and have an actual virtual assistant who is not limited.
Sure. Personally, I've yet to hear an Amazon speaker that sounds even vaguely acceptable, but obviously our tastes and requirements differ. As for the Siri functions; I admit I don't really use them. I find voice control stuff to be a bit of a gimmick really, but I suppose many people could find them very useful. I don't really want things listening to me anyway.

But Apple is about quality, so perhaps that's what they should concentrate on. I'd like to see more collaborations with hifi manufacturers, and some mid to high end audio products, because there's a paucity of decent products out there right now really.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Wanted to take one as a wedding gift, my friends have Spotify so I got a Google Something instead.
Think they’ll have to let people in the ecosystem before closing it.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I have the OG Homepod. Pretty good, but the lack of Bluetooth audio is annoying (a bit like Sonos).

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Several years out, needed to discontinue the original HomePod "to focus on the HomePod mini" rings hollow when all they've done is add colors to the lineup after all this time.

Marco Arment made a pretty interesting and convincing case on ATP that the original HomePod could have been adjusted to be a much more effective product (cheaper for Apple and the customer) by removing the parts that made it try to be outstanding on its own (all the room positioning stuff) and just focused on something that would would be (only) good on its own (but still better than a mini) and great in a stereo pair. Here's hoping that comes!

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Apple, if you're listening (no doubt there are forum scouts), more colour options for the fabric mesh, please.

Or better yet, give HomePod mini a Philips Hue-style glow ability for the whole orb – marketable as either a chameleon-like blend (or cloaking device?!), or your choice of contrasting colour for interior design options.

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Marco Arment made a pretty interesting and convincing case on ATP that the original HomePod could have been adjusted to be a much more effective product (cheaper for Apple and the customer) by removing the parts that made it try to be outstanding on its own (all the room positioning stuff) and just focused on something that would would be (only) good on its own (but still better than a mini) and great in a stereo pair. Here's hoping that comes!
But then it would just be another mediocre product in a sea of mediocre products. But with Apple prices. So it would be even less desirable.

Reactions: hooptyuber

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
While I wouldn't mind the return of a (more affordable) "big" HomePod, more than that I want the ability to turn up to five mini units into surround sound quality.

I love having my two minis on either side of my iMac, and they sound fantastic (to my pleb ears). But if I could also have three more units on the opposite side of my room to fully immerse myself in the music, I'd be absolutely chuffed.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have 2 HomePods (full size) in a stereo pair and the sound output is excellent. However, HomePod software updates have turned HomeKit support into an upside down pyramid that keeps falling over. I have to power-cycle my homepods at least once a week to get rid of the dreaded “updating…” on all of my Home-connected devices. Truly painful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.