Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

HomePod Mini vs. HomePod Buyer's Guide

Sajid Aguilar

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2020
mexico city
I was thinking on getting a HomePod, would you recommend me to wait for a HomePod 2 or getting two minis? I'm concern about the chip and new features.

Reactions: Huck

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I ripped Apple a new one on the original HomePod. I'm not sorry, they didn't announce until the week that they released it what it could do and what it's limitations were, and especially at first those limitations were considerable: No stereo, no sound bar type ability, limited compatibility with music services and no ability to use legacy music sources, which is still a limitation, without jumping through hoops. If they do a passable to above average job of theater sound (whatever you want to call it-Dolby, ATMOS) then I may look at them. A Sonos or Bose Sound Bar replacement was something I originally was interested in when they announced the device.

Infoboy2u

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
USA
I still don’t understand how Apple didn’t allow the mini’s to work with the OG HomePod to create 5 or even 7.1 surround. It seems so obvious.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I adore our 2x HomePod's and I am looking forward to pairing them in my living room, I've yet to hear them perform stereo, but if the mono is anything to go by, it will be sweet. I'm going to get 3x HomePod Mini's on release day. Two for either side of my bed and one for the office. Quite excited and looking forward to hearing them.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I was thinking on getting a HomePod, would you recommend me to wait for a HomePod 2 or getting two minis? I'm concern about the chip and new features.

I would look at it like this, do you want different HomePods for different locations in your home? Or would you rather have one central location for one HomePod? If you want one centralized location for your audio, then I would just buy the regular size HomePod, but if you want audio at different locations, then the mini would be the best investment.

Personally, I would just opt with the regular HomePod, but that’s because I want a more in depth sound experience that the regular size HomePod will deliver.

dsmcclin

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
I just wish they would enable HomePod or HomePod mini to be used as a regular speaker for your Mac. I would love to be able to use it for zoom and other apps now - however you can't add them as a typical bluetooth speaker to your Mac, iPad, etc. This seems to be a real loss right now - we are buying up $100 speakerphone pucks at work like crazy, but we can't consider using HomePod minis because of that one issue.

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Check the diagrams homepods have a down firing base and 7 directional speakers. The mini does not support atmos

Assuming the speaker must be set up with the cord facing directly back only three of those speakers are even sending sound towards the viewer. Maybe they can create some illusion of location along the face of the TV, but they are not going to create sound from your immediate left or right, behind you or above you. Even soundbars that claim to offer simulated rear speakers angle the sound to bounce.

It might be able to manipulate 3D encoded sound into something it can play - but it won't be what people expect from Atmos.

Reactions: NightFox

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I still don’t understand how Apple didn’t allow the mini’s to work with the OG HomePod to create 5 or even 7.1 surround. It seems so obvious.
Try using the HomePod as the Apple TV audio output with a TV acting sort of like a sound bar and you will see Apple doesn’t care about this case usage at all. They seem to hate it.

iStorm

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
With the HomePod mini having a USB-C plug, I wonder if there’s any chance of it being able to plug into a computer to use it as a speakerphone device. Something like the Jabra Speak that can be used for online meetings. I doubt it will, but would be cool if it had that capability.

Ahmamies

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
Both these products are dead to me. Literally, Apple does not sell them in my country. Everything else is sold here, but not these. Never figured it out.

Reactions: **maestro**

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I just wish they would enable HomePod or HomePod mini to be used as a regular speaker for your Mac. I would love to be able to use it for zoom and other apps now - however you can't add them as a typical bluetooth speaker to your Mac, iPad, etc. This seems to be a real loss right now - we are buying up $100 speakerphone pucks at work like crazy, but we can't consider using HomePod minis because of that one issue.
I use my HomePod as my speaker for my Mac. That’s the beauty of the Apple ecosystem

Reactions: 88Keys

cjbryce

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2008
London
I’d like to learn more about the new home theatre mode as I have two HomePods ready and waiting to go which I can connect my ATV4K to.

What HomePod software version is required?

It’s always been on my wish list that Apple eventually build out a true 7.1 system based on an updated ATV (with audio inputs) and HomePod, so this is a step in the right direction.

Can they handle steam from the bathroom?

I’d like to get one for when I listen to music or videos during my showers.

In my experience, the Homepods can handle steam, heat, and drop-kicks without compromise. Yes, I tripped over the power cord a couple of times, and the Homepod bounced like a tennis ball and didn't even show a dimple. I was markedly impressed.

Currently, I have eight throughout my 1700 square-foot flat. I will likely add a couple of minis for smaller rooms. The weakest link of the Homepods is Siri's limited knowledge base and near incompatibility with Apple Music. If I had a dollar for every time Siri responds with, "...there's a problem with Apple Music," I would be wealthy.

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...

I think you are underestimating the processing power required to do that...I'm guessing?

I think the HomePod is like the iPad for me...I won't realize how much I NEEDED one until I actually have it.

Going to get a couple of the minis for the family room to act as stereo speakers for the Apple TV there and maybe one for my office.

**maestro**

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2018
I would love to buy the HomePod or the new HomePod mini, but it is not sold in most countries across the whole continent of Europe! :eek:

Reactions: Ahmamies
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.