Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

HomePod Mini vs. HomePod Buyer's Guide

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Anyone know if you can completely turn off Siri on the HomePod/Mini? If the reviews are good for the Mini and it sounds good, I'll definitely consider getting one just to use as a speaker.

Really miss my Beoplay A1. Amazing sound for the size.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
My only complaint at this point is that it isn’t portable.

This is kinda surprising to me. I expected even something small like a 5 hour battery. But it’s tethered to a wall like the regular HomePod. Outside of price...why would you get the HomePod mini?

The HomePod Mini uses a USB C plug. So... You could purchase a battery bank that has a USB C port. Charge the battery bank, the take the HomePod Mini outdoors.

Its not as integrated as a built-in battery, I get that, but its a not too terrible work around especially if you already have a battery bank laying around. We have several little battery banks, but none USB C, but perhaps there is a USB C to A adapter that could work.

This idea will become moot if the HomePod Mini is power hungry or if you don't have WiFi (or good WiFi) in the area you are wanting to use it.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Anyone know if you can completely turn off Siri on the HomePod/Mini? If the reviews are good for the Mini and it sounds good, I'll definitely consider getting one just to use as a speaker.

Really miss my Beoplay A1. Amazing sound for the size.

To a degree, yes. You can turn off the Listen for "Hey Siri" and Touch and Hold for Siri options which basically disables Siri. We don't use Siri on our four Homepods. They are used solely for airplaying music from our Macs and iPods. The sound they produce is simply wonderful!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wonder why Apple doesn't let you put 2 HomePods and 3 HomePod Minis together for a 5.0 surround setup. L + R HomePods, HomePod Minis cover center and L/R surrounds. It wouldn't be the best surround setup for sure, but it's cheaper than Sonos (under $1K), doesn't require complicated amplifier and wiring mess like most surround setups, and keeps you all in the Apple system if you want it. (That said, I love my Sonos 5.1 setup and wouldn't trade it).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you can actually make a Sonos 5.0 setup for under $1K as well with a Beam and 2 One SLs, total cost about $760 and it would sound pretty good for a minimal setup too. You wouldn't get quite the bass response and stereo separation as with HomePods, but the Beam would make a better center channel speaker than a HomePod Mini (sound-wise and aesthetically). A Sonos Arc + 2 One SLs would run you about $1160, more expensive, but would blow away the HomePod setup. Bottom line is Apple doesn't really have a viable home theater solution, but why don't they?

Last edited:

Kerry Fraser

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
I just wish they would enable HomePod or HomePod mini to be used as a regular speaker for your Mac. I would love to be able to use it for zoom and other apps now - however you can't add them as a typical bluetooth speaker to your Mac, iPad, etc. This seems to be a real loss right now - we are buying up $100 speakerphone pucks at work like crazy, but we can't consider using HomePod minis because of that one issue.
why not? just choose under volume icon, my homepod is 'living room'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 14.56.06.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 14.56.06.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 15

puggsly

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2003
San Diego
I just wish they would enable HomePod or HomePod mini to be used as a regular speaker for your Mac. I would love to be able to use it for zoom and other apps now - however you can't add them as a typical bluetooth speaker to your Mac, iPad, etc. This seems to be a real loss right now - we are buying up $100 speakerphone pucks at work like crazy, but we can't consider using HomePod minis because of that one issue.
Um... airplay should allow you to send your computer audio to the HomePod, curious if it will also allow the microphones to be used because if it did I think the mini might become my new zoom/GTM/Teams speaker phone. I'll test this out.

Jazz Guy

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
I bought a solid maple 1945 AM AC/DC radio and gutted it. I'm going to be using it to play jazz music all night while I sleep. The HomePod would just barely fit in the case. The mini will fit in with plenty of room to spare. I think the mini is the best selection for a low volume requirement like this.

DSC_3723.jpg

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I wonder if the original HomePod will have a quiet refresh as they run out of existing stock, adding the U1 chip. Having the all new Handoff feature only work on the cheaper HomePod doesn’t make much sense.
The original HomePod can already do the audio handoff feature. I too didn't realize it, but it can. Maybe the U1 chip makes it a little more reliable, but the feature is not exclusive to the mini.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The original HomePod can already do the audio handoff feature. I too didn't realize it, but it can. Maybe the U1 chip makes it a little more reliable, but the feature is not exclusive to the mini.

Oh, I know it is “supposed” to do handoff. It just doesn’t work 90% of the time so you stop trying.

the U1 in the mini and newer iPhones ensures that it works every time because they know that they’re pointing at each other. There’s a subtle rumble as you get close and then it pops over. With the original HomePod, there’s no indication that it’s working or going to work. And it just doesn’t work most of the time. Adding the U1 in a silent update would fix that problem. Handoff should really work on a premium device that is 3 times the price.

Reactions: MozMan68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.