MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In March, Apple announced that the full-sized HomePod would be discontinued once supplies run out, following years of reportedly lackluster sales. Apple said it would focus its efforts on the HomePod mini released last year.

homepod-feature-purple.jpg

As supplies start to dwindle, the HomePod is now listed as "Currently Unavailable" for delivery on Apple's online store in Canada. This comes just days after the HomePod became unavailable at many physical Apple Store locations in select countries, and it's yet another sign that the HomePod is inching closer to no longer being sold.

"‌HomePod mini‌ has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers amazing sound, an intelligent assistant, and smart home control all for just $99," Apple said in March. "We are focusing our efforts on ‌HomePod mini‌. We are discontinuing the original ‌HomePod‌, it will continue to be available while supplies last through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers."

Since that announcement, the HomePod has been removed from sale on Apple's online store in several countries, including France, Germany, China, Hong Kong, and India. The full-sized speaker remains available on Apple's online store in the United States, Australia, and the UK for the time being, but only in a white color.

Apple ensured that it will provide ‌HomePod‌ customers with software updates and service and support through AppleCare for an unspecified amount of time.

Update: The white HomePod is once again in stock in Canada, but supplies are likely running very low at this point.

Article Link: HomePod Now Unavailable From Apple in Canada After Being Discontinued [Updated]

Last edited:

edolecki

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
I gotta say that through my company and appreciation points I picked up a HomePod the day it was announced they were being discontinued. I loved that HomePod so much that I got another. They sound amazing and Siri does enough for me to find it quite useful.

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
I thought about getting a HomePod, adding to my collection of Apple things, but I couldn't get over the fact that it didn't have an AUX in. I get that it is design to connect to devices wirelessly, but being a speaker, an audio-in port is a must for me.

Oh well....

If I find a used one for really cheap one day, I might add it to my collection.

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
It’s always been mind blowing to me they didn’t start with HomePod mini then regular sized HomePod after. I compare the regular HomePod to Sonos One but HomePod price was also just too expensive for that speaker size range.

Reactions: ohio.emt and Apple$

amazingpupil

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
I gotta say that through my company and appreciation points I picked up a HomePod the day it was announced they were being discontinued. I loved that HomePod so much that I got another. They sound amazing and Siri does enough for me to find it quite useful.
I did the exact same thing. When they announced that it would be discontinued, I bought another one to create a stereo pair with the one I already had. I allowed my Apple TV to automatically play through the stereo pair (one on each side of my TV), so I’m content. I don’t need anything fancy. I just need it to sound good. And the OG HomePods definitely check that box.

Zeke92

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
It’s always been mind blowing to me they didn’t start with HomePod mini then regular sized HomePod after. I compare the regular HomePod to Sonos One but HomePod price was also just too expensive for that speaker size range.
The comparison is incorrect. It should be compared to the Sonos Five, Play 3 or Move. It was priced correctly. I’m not sure why there was so much confusion around the pricing

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
I was able to snag 2 airpods from offerup for $250. I'm definitely spoiled because I have a really nice 5.1 setup in my living room, so of course the homepods don't sound anywhere near as good as the stereo. But for what they are, in my office, they sound great. At the price I paid for them.

These were never, and never will be, worth the $350 list price.

scrappyj

Suspended
Jun 4, 2021
Nobody really wants a Wi-Fi jukebox, especially a family. But it’s my most-used device by far, especially now with eARC support.

Ion-X

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Just bought a pair of HomePods (first one is here, second one on the way). The clarity, bass, and volume are just phenomenal. I’m giddy thinking about how they will sound as a pair.

Hopefully they will create some kind of successor for those who want Apple speakers louder than a laptop.

Reactions: Morgenland

Zeke92

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
Nobody really wants a Wi-Fi jukebox, especially a family. But it’s my most-used device by far, especially now with eARC support.
Sonos exists and it’s a hugely popular brand of speakers. Do people not know Sonos exists when they make comments like this?

Reactions: nrose101

Ion-X

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Sonos exists and it’s a hugely popular brand of speakers. Do people not know Sonos exists when they make comments like this?
Sonos is relatively popular but it’s still a niche product, only accessible to the upper-middle class. The same was true of the $350 HomePod. Not a huge market there.

The much more lucrative segment of the market is smaller speakers with decent but not fantastic audio quality or bass, which is why HomePod mini is selling like gangbusters.

Apple$

macrumors member
May 21, 2021
I think they should've shortened the launch gap between the HomePod and the HomePod mini. I.e. launch HomePod, and next year, HomePod mini. It would've been a bigger success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.