Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is still working on a new HomePod speaker with an "iPad-like display" built into it, but the device is unlikely to launch until 2025 at the earliest should the plans move forward, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

HomePod-G4-Feature.jpg

In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman said Apple has started "early work" on a HomePod with a screen with overseas suppliers, but he said the company has yet to make "enough headway" on the device for him to consider a launch to be imminent.

Gurman reiterated that Apple has also explored a device that combines an Apple TV, HomePod, and FaceTime camera, along with iPad-like smart displays that could be magnetically attached to a wall, but it is unclear if these products will ever be released. He said Apple has been "indecisive" about its smart home product ideas for years.

Apple reversed course and released a new full-sized HomePod in 2023 after discontinuing the device in 2021. Apple also continues to sell the HomePod mini, which has not received any major hardware updates since launching in 2020.

Article Link: HomePod With 'iPad-Like Display' Rumored to Launch in 2025 at Earliest

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Not sure why a display would be added to this tool. Sounds really fanciful.

Minato1990

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2017
I don't know why would anyone need a HomePod with an iPad strapped to it.
hopefully there's a version without it.
I just need my HomePod to give me great sound and having the new SIRI AI in it
I can control the rest from my iPhone or MacBook

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
Creating an iPad like device which sits idle would be great. Kind of a kitchen/central area of the house device you don’t move around a lot.

And then being able to have people FaceTime call it and always automatically get through based on where the device is in the home and the contact who’s calling.

• Love
Reactions: u+ive

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I don't know why would anyone need a HomePod with an iPad strapped to it.
Think of it as a kitchen-computer, and speaker. One that is always there and fixed in place in a specific home location no matter who is home or what is happening... whether you are cooking, drinking a cup or tea, or charging your phone in another room as you listen to music. I would not imagine it would 100M units, but for those who want something like this I'm sure they would be grateful. A design mistake would be to make this be an iPad dock stand where you could attach an iPad to charge it, etc. The whole idea with the display fixed in place is it would always be there for you and whoever else is in the kitchen, 100% of the time.

Last edited:

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Seems like a product solving a problem that doesn’t exist. I don’t think the Echo Show from Amazon is a particularly big seller and Alexa devices must have orders of magnitude more users than the HomePod does. Maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: gleepskip

Wombat-man

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2010
We have an Echo show, which would appear to be similar to this, that we have in our kitchen. My wife uses it quite a lot for recipes.

deathcab

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
Why not just create a HomePod speaker base that has the ability to (magnetically?) attach an iPad.

Could use something like a Smart Connector for detection / enabling the correct modes when attached.

Reactions: RLRabb and satchmo

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Think of it as a kitchen-computer, and speaker. One that is always there and fixed in place in a specific home location no matter who is home or what is happening... whether you are cooking, drinking a cup or tea, or charging your phone in another room as you listen to music. I would not imagine it would well 100M units, but for those who want something like this I'm sure they would be grateful. A design mistake would be to make this be an iPad dock stand where you could attach an iPad to charge it, etc. The whole idea with the display fixed in place is it would always be there for you and whoever else is in the kitchen, 100% of the time.

Why wouldn't these interested buyers just put any smart speaker in that kitchen and mount a retired iPad in the most convenient spot for that purpose? Why do these two things need to be bonded together as one thing?

Reactions: HVDynamo

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Fix the HomePod first can’t even set a timer in the kitchen and ask another HomePod how long is left in the kitchen timer it’s so bad

Reactions: DogHouseDub

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
72e3a8f2-cb29-421c-bf81-a81ff0de4293.jpg

Honestly it looks like a G4 iMac which is a beautiful design. Just make it where the iPad is removable, have it connect with like a MagSafe device and then it all starts to make sense.

With a base like this, add a wireless keyboard and mouse and you a defacto modern G4 iMac. That would be able to do word documents etc, put on of those tracking motor things so the neck rotates the iPad towards your direction. Heck add some of those harmon Karman old school transparent speakers and your all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.