Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

HomePod's Sound Continues to Receive Top Marks After Listening Demos in New York and London

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Actually, you said that SiriKit needs "Streaming Control" so I said, no it doesn't because Siri already has it. So I reflected via an exercise that that SiriKit doesn't need "Streaming Control", because every recent version of Siri already has it and doesn't require the hacks you claim it does. Again, it is not the core of what you are saying that is incorrect, it's the details that you do not understand that are incorrect.

So, streaming control already exists, aka the ability to control streams. What is actually missing is the ability to specify developer app details beyond the limited set that currently exists. This is not streaming control, nor is it playback controls, nor is it access to Siri, or any other thing you claim it is. It is developer app insight.
I wasn't the one who linked to the workaround to launch a track through Siri via web search. Until you can demonstrate Siri complying with the direct request, "Play Taylor Swift on Spotify," there's nothing more to say; you're obfuscating.

Comment

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
I wasn't the one who linked to the workaround to launch a track through Siri via web search. Until you can demonstrate Siri complying with the direct request, "Play Taylor Swift on Spotify," there's nothing more to say.

I didn't link to a workaround. I linked to a forum where many things were discussed. You chose to focus on the workaround.

Comment

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I didn't link to a workaround. I linked to a forum where many things were discussed. You chose to focus on the workaround.
You linked to a page with a workaround. If among those "many things" was a relevant page the supported your argument, you would've linked to it.

Comment

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
You linked to a page with a workaround. If among those "many things" was a relevant page the supported your argument, you would've linked to it.

*sighs* okay, whatever you say. Mr. HeDidntReadTheSpecsButIdidntBotherToReadTheEntireForumThread

Last edited:
Comment

metier

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
Apple basically limiting this to Apple Music makes it kind of extra expensive. Should have at least fully supported Spotify. Apples aggresive policy when it comes to Siri on 3rd party services is kinda lame. If they can't make money of it... well no or only very limited support. I mean there was a cydia app to control spotify with Siri... So, this, again, is an arbitrary limitation by Apple. I don't see how this wins agaist Alexa/Sonos...
Anyway, since Apple limits Siri to a few chosen countries, this is only a massively overpriced Airplay speaker in the rest of the world...
Sounds a lot like the other reasons for the HP... "I'd like to buy a HomePod -how do I justify it?".
If you want to buy it, because you want to have one, just buy it and be done with it, but don't wrap some generic arguments around it. I don't see where Echos and/or Sonos couldn't have done that already long ago. Let's be honest here, to YOU both will likely sound bad compared to your HiFi system. Your wife, however, likely won't even notice the difference between the Echo solution and the HomePod.

I really don't want any Google or Amazon device listening in my house. I don't use Spotify I'm not in a country that Siri doesn't work in. I have all Apple devices, my ripped music is in iTunes and I use Apple Music. Sonos doesn't/didn't have a smart speaker, so you would still have to set it up as a bluetooth speaker and have to use your phone. Which I don't mind I have a Bose Soundlink III bluetooth speaker that I use periodically, but the wife was not interested in getting it to work with her phone. My wife's friend has an echo and she thought it was cool to be able to ask for a song and the echo played it. So the HP fits both our needs, hers more then mine

Comment

CodeSpyder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I feel like HomePod is just a way to get folks to buy Apple’s music streaming service. If so, Apple would be better off giving the HomePods away if one signed up for the service.

The Emporer’s new clothes comes to mind when I say the following. Hopefully, somebody will get through to Apple that Siri sucks. I hope that in addition to code fixes, Apple makes improvements to Siri.

As far as touting the sound quality, it seems the target audience are those folks in a small apartment without even a half-way decent sound system. Something that small cannot have a room-shaking woofer or a full-range set of speakers. Let’s be real here.

I like Apple, but the HomePod doesn’t make it for me, even with all of Apple’s spin doctoring.

Comment

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
In other news, I prove anything by linking to the home page of the New York Times, where "many things" are discussed.

*sighs* ... I linked you to a Spotify forum thread where Siri was being discussed in many routes, one of which was a workaround but that is solely what you saw, to substantiate your delusions. Is that better? Smh. Your hard-on for me is a bit disconcerting. Perhaps you should hop off my shaft, and go play with your Ruby, lol.

Last edited:
Comment

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
*sighs* ... I linked you to a Spotify forum thread where Siri was being discussed in many routes, one of which was a workaround but that is solely what you saw, to substantiate your delusions. Is that better? Smh. Your hard-on for me is a bit disconcerting. Perhaps you should hop off my shaft, and go play with your Ruby, lol.
If you intended me to read the "many routes" discussed across the whole thread, you would've linked to the beginning, not a specific page. You're not fooling anyone.

Comment

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I’m glad MR called these listening demos. I don’t think anyone is doubting the HomePod sounds good. But what problem is it solving?
Room acoustics and soundstage. Good sound is often ruined by improperly placed speakers or a room that is bad layout/setup for acoustics. Even with all this taken into account, you get a fairly small "sweet spot" where your traditional, directional speaker will sound best. Everywhere else you're listening to reflected sound from the room itself. Apple is the only company (that I'm aware of) really trying to address this at this price point. Some $$$$$ (yes, five figure) audiophile systems do something similar but require complicated manual calibration. From the initial reports Apple's engineers have at least partially succeeded.

This is a real problem but because the technology didn't exist to address it we've all just made due and trained our expectations. So the question is not "what problem will it solve" but "will enough people care that Apple has solved it?"
[doublepost=1517586077][/doublepost]
I know this is a rather niche request but since it's all I have/know, Im curious how it would compare to Audio Engine A5+ stereo bookshelf speakers. They're $399 for the left/right speakers and I've had them set up with my AirPort Express and television for a couple of years now and love them. Obviously a single HomePod wouldn't have the stereo separation, but I'm curious about the quality compared to something like that. I'm not an audiophile but I like good speakers, and everyone who hears mine says the sound is good.
I plan on comparing mine to the Focal CMS 40's in my studio. My best guess is the HomePod will give a wider sweet spot with comparable detail.

Comment

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
I'll be waiting for the HomePro version which will have AirPlay removed but it's 1mm thinner!

Comment

EdT

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Interesting review considering they forgot completely Deezer HIFI, the other lossless FLAC 1411kbps streaming service.

Time may prove me wrong, but I believe that Apple has boxed this device into a very small corner. HomePod not only uses only Apple based streaming sources, but it requires an Apple device running IOS 11 to set it up. Bluetooth is only used to configure a HomePod, not to stream music to it. If you have an Android phone with iTunes installed you can't use a HomePod unless you have at least 1 IOS device to initially configure HomePod, as it uses the parent device to configure the HomePod to the same network the IOS device uses and provides the proper passwords.

So you claim to have a device with better sound than your competitors:
  • That costs anywhere from 2 to 10 times what those competitors cost.
  • That has a voice assistant that doesn't interpret voice commands as well.
  • That can only use Apple streaming sources with that voice command.
  • That MUST have a recent updated IOS device (iPhone, iPad) to be able to do the initial setup.
  • That cannot accept bluetooth steaming music from ANY source, Apple or not.
  • That CAN play non streaming music, but you can't use Siri to control those music sources.
Maybe after it is setup you can use an Android device. I don't know the Android system well enough to say if there is an Airplay feature in the Android version of iTunes, or how often that app is updated. If there is it will probably work.

But the consequences of all of these decisions are that people who don't have iPhones probably won't bother looking at it, people who hate Siri won't either, and neither will those who prefer a streaming service other than Apple Music. If you say that music fidelity is important there are easier ways to get better sound-though probably more expensive- and if convenience is what you are after then the lack of bluetooth playback will probably stop you.

Considering that part of Apple's stated reason for removing the audio jack from iPhones is that Bluetooth headphones are just as good as wired I find the Bluetooth streaming limitation amusing.

Deliveries start in about a week, and we'll see what the sales are after a month or so.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.